Print Thread
Hop To
G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thought I'd found the ferfect answer to me buying a PCP air rifle. Senica aspen with the built in pump. Seems pretty accurate, Los of power for what I'll be doing. So the last review I read was on and on about the pump locks up, screws up O rings........ the new ones you get comes with spare O rings???? If it's screwing O rings up it would seem like the right thing to do is fix the problem not supply extra O rings, why not a whole box of O rings???? How hard is it to replace the O rings??? How often??? Thought I'd found what I was looking for, now??? Anyone own one or had any experience with one??? Back at square one HELP,?,! GWP πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If Air Guns of Arizona dosen't sell it don't buy it.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not an Aspen owner, but I do use a hand pump to fill my PCP rifles.

I'm just guessing there are similarities between both pumps, as they are essentially both manually operated high pressure air pumps.

There are o-rings on the hand pump too, and they do require a generous level of lubrication with silicone oil. If they are left to go dry, naturally friction and small dirt/dust particles will cause accelerated wear and tear.

I'll take a guess that the Aspen has similar maintenance needs on it's pump, and any moving joints or linkages.

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks guys I'll think on that for a bit. GWP πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‘πŸ»

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Another person that's going to tell you that you don't want the Aspen. Built in hand pump sounds appealing but they are problematic and have bad reviews. A bicycle style hand pump is bad enough. I coughed up the extra 300 and got an electric pump and never looked back. Air Venturi Avenger is a fantastic gun btw.

IC B2

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
OH KA so much for that idea, Back to the drawing board. Thanks again guys, much appreciated!!! GWP. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
PCP's just look like a pain in the ass to me. I want a self contained gun. No seperate pump/compressor required. Just my gun and a tin of pellets for an afternoon of shooting fun. Don't wanna be hookin up no fuggin hoses. Pumpin my ass off. Bleeding off air. Unhookin the fuggin hose. Bullshyt. I'm stickin with my springers and multi pumpers for flingin pellets.

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I'm staring to think the same way!!!! Kripes I can buy a new 22 rimfire for the price of some of them. We can't have suppressed arms here. Thinking of building a large fixed one on the back yard range. Anyone ever tried this, was thinking of two sona tubes. One inside the other, smaller one with holes drilled in it, then insulation between it & the larger one. Yes no maybe???? GWP. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've accumulated three break-barrels, and two PCPs. I'd say they both have their pro's/con's.

I tend to target shoot the break-barrels more often, because they are more of a challenge. The PCP gets the call if I need to kill a small pest with one clean shot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've accumulated three break-barrels, and two PCPs. I'd say they both have their pro's/con's.

I tend to target shoot the break-barrels more often, because they are more of a challenge. The PCP gets the call if I need to kill a small pest with one clean shot.
Can't you just use a rimfire for pest elimination ? I do shoot pests with my air rifles sometimes but only because I want to, not because I have to. My neighbors are far enough away I can stick a .30-06 out the window to blast a pest if I want to and I have.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Can't you just use a rimfire for pest elimination ? I do shoot pests with my air rifles sometimes but only because I want to, not because I have to. My neighbors are far enough away I can stick a .30-06 out the window to blast a pest if I want to and I have.

Sure, I could use a 22 rimfire. Sometimes it just seems safer to use the air rifle where there is not a great backstop. Neighbors aren't THAT close, but still a 22LR can go a long ways. The air rifle has more than plenty on power and accuracy, plus I have a DonnyFL moderator on the PCP air rifle so it's very quiet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
The Seneca Dragonfly may be an alternative worth looking into if you want a bit more power than the average pumper, but without the hassle of a PCP external pump or the hold sensitivity of a springer/NP rifle.

I have seen some reviews where people have had issues with the compound pumping mechanism binding up or losing pins, but haven't had any issues... knock on wood. Probably just jinxed myself 😏

I wouldn't call it whisper quiet, but it isn't as loud as my Crosman 362, or one of the old Benjamin/Sheridan Streaks at full power.

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks again guys, I'm still on the fence with this. I'm not really consernd with power, more about accuracy. When I was young (100yrs) ago my cousin & I used to shoot flies of the barn wall around the cattle. Of course my eyes worked better than they do now, will have to use a scope now. We also used to shoot the stem off of an old apple tree we found in the bush to get apples to eat & to take some home for Mom to bake apple pie. How??? Better eyes & steady hands. Can't imagine the trigger pull on 2 cheap air rifles. also would smear corn syrup on a board, lean it up against a good back stop (???????) & shoot flys & bees. Maybe I'm remembering this all wrong, maybe we missed more than I remember. Anyway, would like to attempt this again. Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate the help. GWP. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Daisy 901s are cheap, really easy to pump, and reasonably accurate. I've got a couple of them. Both of mine are very partial to pointed pellets. One shoots the Norma Superpoints really well, and the other H&N Spitzkugels.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Thanks again guys, I'm still on the fence with this. I'm not really consernd with power, more about accuracy. When I was young (100yrs) ago my cousin & I used to shoot flies of the barn wall around the cattle. Of course my eyes worked better than they do now, will have to use a scope now. We also used to shoot the stem off of an old apple tree we found in the bush to get apples to eat & to take some home for Mom to bake apple pie. How??? Better eyes & steady hands. Can't imagine the trigger pull on 2 cheap air rifles. also would smear corn syrup on a board, lean it up against a good back stop (???????) & shoot flys & bees. Maybe I'm remembering this all wrong, maybe we missed more than I remember. Anyway, would like to attempt this again. Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate the help. GWP. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
If power isn't an issue one of the Daisy/Avanti single stroke pneumatic match air rifles might be an option to consider. Another option might be the Hammerli 850 air magnum co2 rifle. I've watched several reviews of that rifle and it seems it's very accurate and has an excellent trigger. I'm actually thinking of getting one myself.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm staring to think the same way!!!! Kripes I can buy a new 22 rimfire for the price of some of them. We can't have suppressed arms here. Thinking of building a large fixed one on the back yard range. Anyone ever tried this, was thinking of two sona tubes. One inside the other, smaller one with holes drilled in it, then insulation between it & the larger one. Yes no maybe???? GWP. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
I know a guy that did something alike using old tires that he pulled together with rope on a table and shot through. According to him it worked really well.

G
GWPGUY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Ok gang more research. Thanks again. Have seen the tire idea before. I have an old 22 that has a long bbl & it seems more quiet than new ones. Maybe just shooting through a 4". 6" pvc pipe????? Maybe 10ft or 12ft long. Back to the drawing board again!!! Thanks appreciate help & ideas, I'll look into those other two models of air rifles. GWP. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H

If you want bug shooting accuracy get a PCP. An average PCP is capable of shooting tiny tiny groups.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Halvin

If you want bug shooting accuracy get a PCP. An average PCP is capable of shooting tiny tiny groups.

Don't know that average PCP's shoot tiny tiny groups . Some PCP's do shoot very good groups. My FX Impact does but then for what they cost if it didn't it wouldn't be mine. My buddies Air Venturi Avenger shoots very well at a whole lot less of a cash investment.

Getting a 700 mm 30 caliber barrel and accessories from a friend for a very good price this coming week. Now I'll need more mags, pellets and slugs. Care full with that rabbit hole folks.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I have two break-barrels but mine are not powered by a twangy spring. My break-barrels are powered by a gas piston. The gas piston power plant offers multiple benefits over a springer. One being you can leave a rifle with a gas piston cocked for an indefinite period of time without causing an issue with the piston. That is not recommended with a springer as the spring will "take a set" being compressed over a long time frame. Springers can be "tuned" to be the most accurate pellet rifles in the world. Great if you are an Olympic shooter but really not needed if you are killing squirrels. My Theoben Evolution is my plinking gun and my Weinrauch KW90 is for the serious varmint reduction operations. Both are full size rifles that simulate an actual big game hunting rifle feel. No matter which you choose, get an air rifle and shoot, then teach your children and grandchildren to shoot.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.