Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
So after 40+ years of sleeping in 3rd rate smallish tents that don't handle adverse weather, pop up campers, travel trailers, motels, and rented cabins for our 3 month deer season I have purchased a new wall tent and wood stove. I'm looking for some opinions from the experienced wall tent users. Do you wet down, soak a new tent once properly set up to help swell the cotton before it's first use? It's a Davis tent. The site does address this in the FAQ's but it states why to to do it and why not to do it. The tent will be utilized with a fly if that makes any difference. Thanks for your response.

Gregg

Last edited by fishnpbr; 08/25/23.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Just regular ole SPG for me.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't bother "seasoning" mine from Davis. Though I did set it up at home and left it up for a few days before packing it for the trip. With the heat and humidity we are having now, I can't imagine it wouldn't "season" it.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
I string it up in the garage and spray it down with your favorite water sealant. Don't wet it. Let it dry for a few days before rolling it up. Outside is fine if not don't rain. Let it dry.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most canvas tents will shrink quite a bit when they go through their first couple wet/dry cycles and less each time they go through this. If you have a frame for yours, this means your frame may not fit after a couple cycles, so most guys wet them down and let them dry at home to fit their frame before taking them up in the woods. If you don't have a frame it probably doesn't matter much, but I love having a metal frame for our tents. Makes set up and take down so darned easy and the tent is extremely tight once set up this way.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
It does have an internal frame. The shrinkage issue was mentioned by Davis and that the tent should be on the frame and taught with all guy lines and tent base stakes in place for the soaking and drying process or there would be fitment problems later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After wetting it down and drying it out, make certain the canvas is completely dry before rolling it up. Never, ever put a canvas tent away if it not 100% dry.

Enjoy your new "home away from home."

Good luck with your hunting season.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My 100% cotton sailcanvas tent is right at 35 years old now. The guy that sewed it up said don't worry about it, cooking inside creates enough moisture to draw up the weave. It does admit less light now...or I'm going blind. But it has also faded to a pale gray. I lived in it once for 6 months, never a problem. Nothing works as well when you have to dry wet work clothes and boots for the next day.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My maker said about same as LW. Set up in a sunny area, wet down, & let completely dry. We had good results, better moisture control than some of the old GP mediums we used to borrow.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We always let mother nature do the seasoning for us! No worries!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
So after 40+ years of sleeping in 3rd rate smallish tents that don't handle adverse weather, pop up campers, travel trailers, motels, and rented cabins for our 3 month deer season I have purchased a new wall tent and wood stove. I'm looking for some opinions from the experienced wall tent users. Do you wet down, soak a new tent once properly set up to help swell the cotton before it's first use? It's a Davis tent. The site does address this in the FAQ's but it states why to to do it and why not to do it. The tent will be utilized with a fly if that makes any difference. Thanks for your response.

Gregg

Bacon. smile We cooked lots of bacon in ours when my buddy Jerry had to get a new one after his older one was ruined in a warehouse fire. Then again we cooked lots of bacon in the old one. We just cook lots of bacon at elk camp.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Just regular ole SPG for me.

What, no ketchup?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A little salt, a little pepper. Don't overdo it.

Last edited by NDsnowman; 08/25/23.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yes, the tent will be well seasoned, grilled venison with salt n pepper, bacon, sausage, deep fried walleye, chili, keilbasa n sauerkraut, and most likely plenty of flatulence. No ketchup in this camp. I'm leaning toward letting mother nature and some cooking handle the cotton canvas. It's first use will be a 2 week set up in Wyoming in mid October.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
Yes, the tent will be well seasoned, grilled venison with salt n pepper, bacon, sausage, deep fried walleye, chili, keilbasa n sauerkraut, and most likely plenty of flatulence.

You probably want to leave the fabric weave loose then.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There's a wealth of informative videos on the Davis website. I've called a time or two with questions and every time somebody that knew what they were talking about helped me.

I've owned a couple of Davis tents for close to 20 years. Only good things to say about them. Enjoy!

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Tenderizer ? 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cowdoc
There's a wealth of informative videos on the Davis website. I've called a time or two with questions and every time somebody that knew what they were talking about helped me.

I've owned a couple of Davis tents for close to 20 years. Only good things to say about them. Enjoy!

Yes, I have read everything on there site and have talked with them several times but not regarding whether or not to soak and dry the tent prior to use. Just wondering what others do if anything.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why wouldn't ya' just season it per the manufacturers instructions?

I just bought a Springbar Skyliner and will set it up before deer camp, not just to season it but to familiarize myself with it's setup too.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by skeen
Why wouldn't ya' just season it per the manufacturers instructions?

I just bought a Springbar Skyliner and will set it up before deer camp, not just to season it but to familiarize myself with it's setup too.

There answer isn't exactly definitive though they do say they don't tell people to do this.

Frequently Asked Questions

Welcome to our Frequently Asked Questions page.
Below you will find answers to the most common questions we receive about our canvas wall tents. If you have any questions that are not answered on this page, don't hesitate to call us or stop by the shop, we would be happy to answer them for you.
Wall Tents

There response to pre shrinking the canvas.

Great question with a mixed answer! The reason some people recommend this is that a tent is more likely to leak the first time it gets wet. This is due to the needle holes made when sewing the tent together. When new tents get wet, the cotton shrinks around the thread and seals itself. So setting your new tent up and wetting it down could be a good idea. HOWEVER, keep reading for why it might not be the best idea.

When setting up your tent to hose it down, you could end up with a shrinkage problem unless you set it up VERY well. When we say very well we mean the same as you would set it up for elk camp. This means you must use EVERY rope and stake, make sure the ropes are TIGHT, and be certain the stakes are SECURE (this might be a challenge on soft backyard lawns). Under these “real hunting world” conditions, your tent would seal itself and retain its size and shape

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.