Hop To
#18704450 08/26/23
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
so I am curious, several years ago I wanted to play witha a 475 linebaugh, but it was always on the back burner because I never figured I could swing one. However, had a buddy in CA call me one day and I cringed cause it always costs me money. Anyway, he had a friend that passed and had a few guns so I bought two of them. One was a ruger Bisley and the only marking on the barrel was 475 magnum. I believe it was originally a Blackhawk 41 magnum. When I got the gun all I could find was a B inside a shield at the back of the cylinder. Not knowing where to start I called Hamilton Bowen. I told him what I had and he said, "yeah, thats one of mine, and probably one of the first dozen to come out of my shop when I first opened it". I did go ahead and letter it and it initially went to AK, so how it ended up in CA, who knows. Anyway, it is a 5.5 inch Bisley and I believe it was nicked by Tripp, "satin nickel". Sights are original ruger, but I believe the documentation indicated two gold bars, I could be wrong though. The only other issue is, the set screw for the cylinder pin is obviously not original, it is now brass and not right, but also not a huge deal.

At the end of this long story, I guess what I do want to ask is if anyone has any idea what a real world value might be? The older I get, the less I shoot these things. Although, in the bisley configuration, this is more fun to shoot than my fa 454. Killed one deer with it at 125 yards and it went down like it was hit in the head with a hammer. Wished I had it with the elk that I took with my 348, but oh well, lol. If ya can give me an idea it sure would be appreciatted.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A higher dollar revolver like a Bowen really needs pictures shown for evaluation. Depending on this or that, the price spread might be a couple thousand bucks.

JMHO

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by PSH
so I am curious, several years ago I wanted to play witha a 475 linebaugh, but it was always on the back burner because I never figured I could swing one. However, had a buddy in CA call me one day and I cringed cause it always costs me money. Anyway, he had a friend that passed and had a few guns so I bought two of them. One was a ruger Bisley and the only marking on the barrel was 475 magnum. I believe it was originally a Blackhawk 41 magnum. When I got the gun all I could find was a B inside a shield at the back of the cylinder. Not knowing where to start I called Hamilton Bowen. I told him what I had and he said, "yeah, thats one of mine, and probably one of the first dozen to come out of my shop when I first opened it". I did go ahead and letter it and it initially went to AK, so how it ended up in CA, who knows. Anyway, it is a 5.5 inch Bisley and I believe it was nicked by Tripp, "satin nickel". Sights are original ruger, but I believe the documentation indicated two gold bars, I could be wrong though. The only other issue is, the set screw for the cylinder pin is obviously not original, it is now brass and not right, but also not a huge deal.

At the end of this long story, I guess what I do want to ask is if anyone has any idea what a real world value might be? The older I get, the less I shoot these things. Although, in the bisley configuration, this is more fun to shoot than my fa 454. Killed one deer with it at 125 yards and it went down like it was hit in the head with a hammer. Wished I had it with the elk that I took with my 348, but oh well, lol. If ya can give me an idea it sure would be appreciatted.

This is interesting I was living in Alaska and had one built like this one I received the revolver around 1986 if memory serves. It was the first one that Bowen built in 475. Years latter the revolver was stolen from me in California

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
And I was sure that would be said. Unfortunately, the past couple of years I have not been able to upload pics here for whatever reason. I always have to get help. Always tells me my pics are too big.

That is interesting JWP. I would have to look at the letter again for the DOM. What did yours have for grips on it? Do you have the serial number by chance?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I'm going to call Bowen tomorrow and see if this is gun one that he built for me

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
JWP, just dug out the letter, and I know memories can be tough to hold onto, it indicates this was not the year this gun was shipped. Hamilton states in the letter, "while I cannot divulge the name of the original purchaser in deference to his privacy, I can tell you the gun was shipped to Alaska in ???? and featured the following modifications:". If you'd like to pm me with a phone number ill be glad to call.

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
sent you a PM JWP.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I'm going to call Bowen tomorrow and see if this is gun one that he built for me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Small world.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by deflave
Small world.

Indeed

IC B3

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Lmmfao,funny travis, we talked about how big of an [bleep] you are! Lmao. It truly is a small world. John and I talked at length, anyone that thinks he not straight can kiss my azz. One of the straightests sob`s I ever met and it was a pleasure to talk to him. What it boils down to is this, ill send it back to him. If it is or it isn't, i ain't gonna get rid of it! I do wish Hamilton would have sent me the name. Regwrdless, after talking to John, it priceless, but, its still up to him. Enjoyed the hell outta of him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PSH
Lmmfao,funny travis, we talked about how big of an [bleep] you are! Lmao. It truly is a small world. John and I talked at length, anyone that thinks he not straight can kiss my azz. One of the straightests sob`s I ever met and it was a pleasure to talk to him. What it boils down to is this, ill send it back to him. If it is or it isn't, i ain't gonna get rid of it! I do wish Hamilton would have sent me the name. Regwrdless, after talking to John, it priceless, but, its still up to him. Enjoyed the hell outta of him.
Jwp is a great man and extremely knowledgeable on everything firearm related. Always enjoyed speaking with him. So much info there i always learned something each and every time

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by PSH
Jwp is a great man and extremely knowledgeable on everything firearm related. Always enjoyed speaking with him. So much info there i always learned something each and every time

You two are too kind. Thanks a million for the kinds words

Travis don't believe PSH, we both think you are good to go

P
PSH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Lmao, john, I didn't say he wasn't good to go, I jut said he was an azz. He knows he is, lol. I know he ain't gonna take that personal .

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
LMAO 🤣

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 1234, 219 Wasp, 60 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,791
Posts18,516,061
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.