Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
If a guy wanted a welder for basic fabrication tasks at home, what would you recommend? I know it’s a very loaded question but I figured I’d start the conversation. I’ve welded before but not even close to being comfortable with picking out a welder. I have to start somewhere and it’s a nebulous subject.
S.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Go girly girl easy. MIG, like a Hobart Handler 140. Or even just a cheap flux core-only unit. Of course it depends upon what you want to fabricate, bigly.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I bought a basic Klutch from Northern Tools... 110/220v stick machine for $400. It works best on 1/4" and under

Vevor makes a similar machine VERY CHEAP...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

With that said... if you are doing more than basic level stuff... invest in a MIG.

The Klutch is great because it can travel in a large ammo can, run on a smallish generator and fix fence gates etc. in the field.

I own several Vevor things. They are legit.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
got an older Miller 211 mig unit with MVP(multi voltage plug) can use 120 or 240 volt... does everything i need from auto collision repair to heavier fabrication... many similar units available from Lincoln, Esab, Hobart ect...

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You might want to look at some of the posts on youtube also.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a Lincoln EasyMig 140. It works and I've done a lot of welding with it but I don't recommend it. I've had too many problems with it. The cable is a weak point and they don't include it in the warranty. I got an aftermarket replacement on Amazon that's twice as good as the original.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old Century stick welder and a much newer Hobart 140, which seems to work well, but I've only used flux core so far. I should probably get a small tank of Argon at some point. I recently started welding again after a very long time. I would describe my current welding abilities as fairly terrible. I was planning on welding new floor plans into my old Studebaker, but I don't yet have the skills. I need to take a welding course.

Last edited by High_Noon; 08/27/23.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Working inside or outside?
MIG isn't great with moving air, you can work around it but it's another thing to deal with. Flux core avoids that, but you have flux to deal with.

How thick of metal do you want to weld?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smallfry
If a guy wanted a welder for basic fabrication tasks at home, what would you recommend? I know it’s a very loaded question but I figured I’d start the conversation. I’ve welded before but not even close to being comfortable with picking out a welder. I have to start somewhere and it’s a nebulous subject.
S.

Nothing short of a 230v unit

Miller makes nice MiGs with full auto settings

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
got an older Miller 211 mig unit with MVP(multi voltage plug) can use 120 or 240 volt... does everything i need from auto collision repair to heavier fabrication... many similar units available from Lincoln, Esab, Hobart ect...
This

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a Millermatic 141 in my shop. Does everything I need a MiG to do, running gas shielded .024 wire. It will run 030 wire but I like the .024 for the bulk of what I do. It's rated up to 3/16" but I've welded up to 1/2" a few times with it multi pass. Duty cycle is better than any other 110v I've used. I've ran it off my generac portable generator but had to rig up one leg of my 220v plug to do it and the duty cycle was about halved.

I run a Miller Deltaweld 500 at work, contiually burning wire for 7 hours out of 8. Miller makes a good welder.

My gun builder has a Harbor Freight Vulcan power source set up with TiG. I've used it several times and it's a legit unit for the money.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've welded for decades (industrial maintenance, farming, bodywork) and if was starting from scratch and could only have one tool it would be an oxy/acetylene set up. Absolutely the most versatile welding tool you can own hands down bar none and sadly welding classes gloss right over its use these days.

With a good torch rig and a tombstone you can repair most anything in the mild steel world and a few things a little more exotic.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you want to actually fab anything that’s going to be structural and might hurt someone if it comes apart when it’s going down the road or supporting you or someone I’d recommend against a small MIG. It’s very easy for someone who doesn’t know what they’re doing to make nice looking welds that won’t hold together.

If you aren’t doing bodywork or something else requiring lots of sheet metal just buy an AC/DC tombstone. Fiddle with it for a while and by the time you burn 20lb of rods you’ll likely be decent enough to get by.

$100 bill at estate sales, garage sales, and farm auctions will often buy a usable cracker box stick welder.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Hobart Handler 120/240 volt MIG for light to medium duty work, up to 1/4" thick stock or slightly heavier. Definitely get the shield gas system if you want clean-looking welds. Flux core wire leaves a butt-ugly weld that requires a lot of cleanup. Above 1/4" nothing beats a good AC/DC stick welder. Welding of any kind requires a lot of practice- - - -and it's a skill that will deteriorate if you don't do it regularly.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a Forney Flux Core 140 MiG that I have used a ton with .030” wire. I built a set of bumpers for my Samurai from 1/4” wall steel to house my 10k pound winch. I’ve hooked it to things it had no business moving and every weld has held. Little stuff to 1/4” stuff it’s been fantastic. The tips made for flux core wire make welding with them much easier.

I just bought a Lincoln AC225 buzz box for $100 so I can weld stuff a little thicker and stick seems to do better in the wind. So far it’s been great.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
And we're off and running with no idea what the intended fabrication is. LOL which is to be expected...

They're not going to get you any Made in USA cred, but, solid stuff according to what I've read on the forums. I recently got their well-equiped AC/DC Tig 225X (w/DC stick up to 180A) and CUT520DP plasma cutter. There's way worse import machines out there, again, from what I have read. Good deal on 6/3 extension cord too, and argon cylinder delivered full.... Have those too. (They send discount codes for stuff left in your cart, run sales, offer free shipping sometimes iirc). Real American CS with welding knowledge - per the reviews... No hoaky BS like having to ship back at your cost for service, like AHPs tig. And awesome informative manuals.
https://primeweld.com/

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/27/23.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Hobart that's 220 only. If get one that can do 110 or 220 for more flexibility.

MIG

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
And we're off and running with no idea what the intended fabrication is. LOL which is to be expected...

If a guy wanted a welder for basic fabrication tasks at home, what would you recommend

Doesn't take a huge imagination to know what the OP is asking for.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by okie
I've welded for decades (industrial maintenance, farming, bodywork) and if was starting from scratch and could only have one tool it would be an oxy/acetylene set up. Absolutely the most versatile welding tool you can own hands down bar none and sadly welding classes gloss right over its use these days.

With a good torch rig and a tombstone you can repair most anything in the mild steel world and a few things a little more exotic.

That’s true, not many guys can do that, welded some barrels together not long ago. I would have had hell trying that with a stick machine. I have a Miller 250 stick machine, bought it in 1989, never a problem. It has a 100% duty cycle with a 1/8 rod.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Feral_American
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

If a guy wanted a welder for basic fabrication tasks at home, what would you recommend

Doesn't take a huge imagination to know what the OP is asking for.
GFY

Please do tell what the other man is thinking? He himself knew it was wide-open to interpretation. That's what makes it fun.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,234
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.