Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’m getting all the pieces together to build a 35 Whelen and found a pretty good price on a Wilson blank. I don’t hear much about them so I figured I would ask for opinions from folks who actually have used them.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve got a Wilson on my AR it’s just as good as the other custom barrels I have..

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Cooper has been using Wilson Barrels for long time, sense they moved i don't know it this is still true, I have 4 rifles with Wilson Barrels and I am very pleased all of them. Rio7

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
I’m getting all the pieces together to build a 35 Whelen and found a pretty good price on a Wilson blank. I don’t hear much about them so I figured I would ask for opinions from folks who actually have used them.

I only have 1 Wilson barrel and it's on a Winchester model 70. It shoots well enough:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No complaints about the Wilson barrel on this one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bbassi;
Good morning to you, I hope that this last Saturday of August finds you well.

A friend of mine asked me to help him find a gunsmith in BC that would build a .350 Rem Mag for him.

After a couple calls I talked to Greg up at Corlane in Dawson Creek who had done several .350 Rem Mags including one for himself to carry while he was guiding up in the Prophet/Muskwa region. I'll note that family had used Corlane for rifle work previously and they have 5 gunsmiths in house. As far as I've heard they've got a reputation for doing good work.

He recommended a 1:12 twist SS Wilson, which he said they'd put onto all the other builds and had a good track record with the results.

Cutting to the chase, that's what they did for my friend's rifle and he's showed me a few very nice groups that it's shot.

Hopefully that was useful for you or someone out there.

All the best whichever way you decide on the build and good hunting this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Of the 3 wilson barrels i have had all 3 were not good. Two of them were 9mm AR15 in 9MM. Both had defects in the steel. And both were taken back and the $ was refunded. The 3rd was a WOA ar15 spr barrel. There was extreme wear in the gas port at 26 or 27 rds. It would catch and strip a patch trying to clean the barrel. The first 10 shots on it went into a 0.25" group. Then thats when it kept getting larger till it was shooting 1.75" group at the 26rd that was shot. This was with a load they use to test their barrels. That was returned and $ was refunded as they were not too thrilled with having to make me a new barrel. So I felt it was best to just part ways with them.

I know they can be very accurate. A few places use them. But I think they are a little soft

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by tomme boy
Of the 3 wilson barrels i have had all 3 were not good. Two of them were 9mm AR15 in 9MM. Both had defects in the steel. And both were taken back and the $ was refunded. The 3rd was a WOA ar15 spr barrel. There was extreme wear in the gas port at 26 or 27 rds. It would catch and strip a patch trying to clean the barrel. The first 10 shots on it went into a 0.25" group. Then thats when it kept getting larger till it was shooting 1.75" group at the 26rd that was shot. This was with a load they use to test their barrels. That was returned and $ was refunded as they were not too thrilled with having to make me a new barrel. So I felt it was best to just part ways with them.

I know they can be very accurate. A few places use them. But I think they are a little soft

I've had good and I've had bad Wilson barrels. I hate to say this but I've had the same exact experience with a gas port on a Wilson barrel. The manufacturer was great about replacing it and the new barrel shoots lights out and doesn't have that issue. My Armalite National Match came with a Wilson barrel and it shoots lights out.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I shoot NRA/CMP High Power with a few guys that prefer Wilson barrels. I wouldn't hesitate to use one on a hunting rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used Wilson barrels for years. I never saw a bad one. I had one in 257 Roberts that was just unreal! It would shoot about any bullet (same loads) into one hole @ 100 yards.

My friend bore scoped a $60.00 clearance Wilson stainless barrel in 7mm; he said it was a finely finished inside as any Hart barrel he had seen. It shot very well. He made a 280 Ack Imp on it.

Many CMP /NRA Highpower competitors use Wilson barrels. The only hit on them is they do not last as long as Kreiger's or other top tier cut rifle barrels, but they figure they can buy and install four Wilsons cheaper than one Krieger for the same price and comparable wear.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've got one on an AR I've had for about 15 years and it still shoots very well. I have another new 18" fluted rifle length gas Wilson for an AR but didn't look at it close when the package showed up. After several months I opened it and found it to be the heavier profile that I didn't want.

The one I thought I ordered was supposed to take a .750 gas block but this one needs a bigger one. It weighs about 40 ounces so it's not terribly heavy so maybe one day I'll put together an upper with it and see how it does. I love 18" rifle gassed ars for a good shooting gun but don't like them quite that heavy so I may just find it a new home.

There's a shop in Nevada that stocks several Wilson shorter blanks at decent prices and I too have thought about using one on a build.

Bb

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not sure if everyone here is on the same page.

There are Wilson Arms barrels (George Wilson) and Wilson Combat barrels (Bill Wilson). Two completely different companies.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
I'm not sure if everyone here is on the same page.

There are Wilson Arms barrels (George Wilson) and Wilson Combat barrels (Bill Wilson). Two completely different companies.

Tony

I though that Wilson combat used Wilson blanks even though they are different companies. Maybe that's not true?

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/29/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bill Wilson told me they make their barrels/blanks in-house.

Tony

Last edited by TonyRumore; 08/29/23.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My #2 “ultralight sporter” 1:7 Wilson from ragged hole barrels shoots 88 ELDMs from my 22-250 into knots. Barrel was $195 as I recall. I’m very impressed.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weren't the "bad" Ruger 77s of the 70s (or thereabouts) equipped with Wilson barrels?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I thought about buying a 416 from ragged and having it put on one of my fn commercial 98s chambered in 416 ruger and cut to about 20". I don't know who I'd have do it since my old neighbor Zollinger died. He used to do little jobs like that on Saturdays for us locals before he passed away. Probably be easier to find a ruger Alaskan though.

Bb

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've had (4) - still have (3) and all perform well - no issues at all

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Weren't the "bad" Ruger 77s of the 70s (or thereabouts) equipped with Wilson barrels?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Comparing Wilson barrels of the 70's to the current ones is sort of like comparing the product that American auto manufacturers were turning out in that time period to todays autos - completely different product.

Wilson barrels of the 70's had a different owner than the current owner. The current owner is Hugo Vivero who also owned Cooper arms until recently. They provide barrels to a lot of companies and like any manufacturer they will build to the specs provided. They provide a lot of AR barrels to different manufacturers.

Their lapped match grade barrels have worked well for me over the last 20 years.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 6MMWASP, 9 invisible), 1,459 guests, and 863 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,082
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.