Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m looking to have a 3 position safety installed on a Remington 700 action, and at the same time straight flute the bolt. Who are your recommendations for gunsmiths willing to do this work? I’ve contacted a few folks and they aren’t doing work on 3 position safeties.

Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 3 pos. safety put on an FN-98 and found that it stuck out too much when in the "SAFE" position and have knocked it off safe twice now when hunting. I now carry the rifle with an empty chamber.

I suggest doing some homework for this project.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In "SAFE" position. Not good. frown

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One recommendation only: Don't go with a Gentry!! believe me

Super Cub, if that is on safety, it is either a Gentry or not install.ed correctly

Last edited by Jkob; 08/28/23.

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jkob
Super Cub, if that is on safety, it is either a Gentry or not install.ed correctly

I'm going to look into it further with the builder. I'm not happy with it as is. Any pics of how it should look?

Not Gentry. It's a Dakota.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think that Gentry made them for Dakota

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a Wisner; it's way better than that. GD

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Maybe it's because I grew up with a 500 and a 110, but I despise a side-swing 3 position safety. I make due with it on my little Montana, but thats the only rifle I have with one anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Could be right. Quick google didn't help. What is the issue with Gentry?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TIming mostly and the lockup is too shallow

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Where on earth did you come up with that?
Highly doubtful as Dakota made and sold hundreds to Brownells when I worked there.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I had a 3 pos. safety put on an FN-98 and found that it stuck out too much when in the "SAFE" position and have knocked it off safe twice now when hunting. I now carry the rifle with an empty chamber.

I suggest doing some homework for this project.

In "SAFE" position. Not good. frown

I'm curious if the safety lever swings all the way back when it's not screwed into a bolt and the firing pin, c-piece, spring and pin are removed? Sometimes when the cutter got dull the radius on the lever got too big. Saw hundreds of these in the trash can. It's a 30 second fix when sub assembling the safety just using a dremel with a 1/8" stone or diamond cutter. You also need to grind clearance on the safety side of the firing pin for this to swing all the way. This could be ground but firing pin installed 180deg off causing the issue. you can check this without the spring.
Or, the notch that needed to be cut in the back of the bolt to lock the bolt wasn't cut deep enough or the plunger that sticks out locking the bolt wasn't shortened to fit.

Last edited by JRGunmaker; 08/29/23.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
I'm curious if the safety lever swings all the way back when it's not screwed into a bolt and the firing pin, c-piece, spring and pin are removed? Sometimes when the cutter got dull the radius on the lever got too big. Saw hundreds of these in the trash can. It's a 30 second fix when sub assembling the safety just using a dremel with a 1/8" stone or diamond cutter. You also need to grind clearance on the safety side of the firing pin for this to swing all the way. This could be ground but firing pin installed 180deg off causing the issue. you can check this without the spring.
Or, the notch that needed to be cut in the back of the bolt to lock the bolt wasn't cut deep enough or the plunger that sticks out locking the bolt wasn't shortened to fit.

Thanks .... I need to talk with the builder and see if he can rectify this. Right now I'm hunting with an empty chamber as I don't trust this safety.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,062
Posts18,482,445
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.