Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I have observed a new low in bubbafied stupidity. I picked up a used Remington 700 270 locally for a backup/loaner rifle. It was topped with a paperweight grade Chinese Tasco scope. Got it home to strip the "scope" off and toss it in the trash only to find that the previous owner used red loctite to secure his $39 bubble pack Tasco scope. The scope might not hold zero, but was damn sure never going to be shaken loose in its rings thanks to this genius. Just when I thought I had seen it all mad Now to apply some heat and see if I can undo some of his handiwork.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Well I have observed a new low in bubbafied stupidity. I picked up a used Remington 700 270 locally for a backup/loaner rifle. It was topped with a paperweight grade Chinese Tasco scope. Got it home to strip the "scope" off and toss it in the trash only to find that the previous owner used red loctite to secure his $39 bubble pack Tasco scope. The scope might not hold zero, but was damn sure never going to be shaken loose in its rings thanks to this genius. Just when I thought I had seen it all mad Now to apply some heat and see if I can undo some of his handiwork.

Seen it many many times. As my old gunsmith used to tell me, "you ain't seen nothing yet"...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Grind the rings off. Heat the base screws and remove those. Throw everything in the trash and start fresh with bases, rings, and scope

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KenMi
Grind the rings off. Heat the base screws and remove those. Throw everything in the trash and start fresh with bases, rings, and scope

And use clear fingernail polish on the new screw threads.

OK...so I'm old...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Red death!

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

I had the same thing happen to me. I got it off, but it wasn't easy. The previous owner also decided to red loctite the Weaver aluminum bases too.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Soldering iron in the screw socket, when they smoke, screw them out

Go buy a throw away soldering iron, don't use your good one

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have also managed to get red-Loctited screws out by heating up the tip of a screwdriver with a propane torch, and resting the tip against the screw for a few seconds before trying to turn it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
K
Sheeeeesh
Good luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happened to my Dad's CZ 550. We bought a Meopta 6x42 and he had a "smith" mount it years before. His old eyes finally only saw all crosshairs as squiggly and he thought his hunting days over. I had the idea and my nephew and I went halves on a #4 with a lit center dot. He loved it. After an hour of heating and trying everything I finally destroyed his original CZ rings to get the stupid thing off. Now we were only days away from season and had to find new rings for the CZ while I was still in town.

GIBSON's to the rescue.

Anyone else remember Gibsons? Still a few around some Texas towns. I asked the gun counter guy (you heard right) if they had any. He looked and said no. I didn't give up and just happened to see what looked to be a CZ emblem on a pack hanging in the middle of a peg of rings behind the counter. He dug them out and all felt like fate had lent a hand. Cost me another hundred bucks for his birthday but was worth it to get to hunt with him another season. I don't have that chance any more.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I bought my first rifle, a Marlin 336 30-30 from Gibsons in Odessa, in 1971 at age 11. Dad bought the scope for me, a Denver Redfield 4x, there too and it's still on it. It's still a pig killing machine.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
OK, I've been accused of being FOS many times but only once when speaking of locktight. laugh But I'm going there again.

If that red LT was applied correctly you may have a challenge ahead. Get out the cutoff wheel. If done sloppily it may not even have ever cured & with care the screws come loose better than expected.

But considering the plans for the old parts it sounds like a good platform to experiment on.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What makes you think the scope doesn't hold zero?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have also managed to get red-Loctited screws out by heating up the tip of a screwdriver with a propane torch, and resting the tip against the screw for a few seconds before trying to turn it.

John, just today I used a pencil tip soldering iron to loosen the corrosion on the base plate screws on an extremely rare Holley carb for a '65 Corvette prior to a concours restoration.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Proper tools and a bit of heat.. I will come off every time. Every Locktite product was designed for a purpose. Red is a high shear high temp thread sealant. It's designed to seal larger threads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do all you can to get Dad out in the field. Last time I took dad hunting he was 87. We had a lot of fun but had to take him home after the second night because he could not take the cold. Had him wrapped up in my 2 best sleepin bags that I use when hunting Montana and Colorado. He passed 3 years ago at the age of 94. I miss my Old Man. Born and raised on the King Ranch during the Depression. Said they were poor as hell but the Ranch always made sure there was plenty of beef on the table.
George

Dad always said, "Nadie Nacio Ensenado" (No One Was Born Taught)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
4 days later and he’s still working on it. Damn red loctite!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10at6
Proper tools and a bit of heat.. I will come off every time. Every Locktite product was designed for a purpose. Red is a high shear high temp thread sealant. It's designed to seal larger threads.

Absolutely.

I use Henkel/LocTite products (you can't go by color alone) quite a bit in race applications....it will always come apart with a bit of heat and correct tools. A decent 1/4" impact driver and a tap with a light hammer and a proper fitting bit after the screw has been warmed a bit is all it takes. Performance Tool sells a nice little one that's perfect for this. I've got one at the shop and one at home for gun work...can't imagine how many fasteners each has cracked loose. smile

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/WMR-W2503

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Snap on truck got me good yesterday
I bought a bunch of dedicated torx drivers...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Tried this trick and it did work. One screw was very stubborn though and took two or three tries.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,098
Posts18,483,058
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.