Print Thread
Hop To
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.science.org/content/art...ars-are-bristly-reminder-nuclear-fallout

Germany’s radioactive boars are a bristly reminder of nuclear fallout
Cesium-soaked truffles may keep dangerous fallout in an environment’s food web for longer than scientists thought
30 AUG 20238:00 AMBYMOLLY RAINS

Wild boar in the Bavarian Forest

What has tusks, bristly hair, and is contaminated with dangerous levels of radiation? Visit Germany’s Bavarian mountain towns and you just may find out. The wild boars (Sus scrofa) that snuffle through the region’s forests are so radioactive that the country has ruled them unsafe to eat—but why these animals are so contaminated has proved a puzzle. In a new study out today in Environmental Science & Technology, scientists report that at least some of the radioactive elements in their bodies are the result of fallout from atomic bombs that detonated in our atmosphere more than 60 years ago.

The environmental and health consequences of nuclear weapons testing have so far been “understudied and largely forgotten,” says James Kaste, a geochemist at the College of William & Mary who was not involved in the study. “This is one of the ultimate case studies showing how legacy soil pollution can haunt generations to come.”

The enduring radioactivity of Bavaria’s boars has traditionally been blamed on the 1986 meltdown of the Chernobyl nuclear power reactor, some 1300 kilometers away. Immediately after the disaster, radioactive fallout spread over the environment, leaving forest animals in Bavaria and elsewhere contaminated with radioactive cesium. Levels of radioactivity in most creatures decreased over the following years—but not so for the Bavarian boars. Scientists believe that’s because of the animals’ penchant for truffle mushrooms. As rainfall slowly carries radioactive particles down through the soil, they accumulate in the tasty fungi, which are eventually rooted up by the hungry boars.

The latest news, commentary, and research, free to your inbox daily
Yet some wondered whether the Chernobyl fallout alone could account for the boars’ intense radioactivity. Bin Feng, a radioecologist at Leibniz University Hannover and the Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien), thought the animals might also be indirect victims of nuclear weapons testing that reached its peak in the 1960s. Of the more than 2000 nuclear bombs detonated worldwide during the Cold War, 500 were blown up in the atmosphere, releasing radioactive particles that then drifted back down to the ground. Those particles are now ubiquitous in soil, says Georg Steinhauser, a radiochemist at TU Wien and another study author.

Feng and colleagues worked with hunters to collect meat from 48 boars around the region, measuring the levels of radioactive cesium from the animals. Consistent with past studies, the team found that 88% of the samples were too radioactive to be eaten under German safety standards.

Next, the researchers looked for telltale isotopic signatures. The researchers were particularly interested in two different forms of cesium—cesium-137 and cesium-135—which are produced at different ratios depending on whether they were borne from a reactor or a nuclear explosion. By comparing the relative masses of these isotopes in their samples, Feng and colleagues could figure out where the cesium originated.

The team found that all the boar meat contained radioactive cesium from both Chernobyl and nuclear weapons fallout. The proportion from nuclear bomb blasts varied between 10% and 99% across samples. That’s “astonishingly high,” Kaste says. In one-quarter of the boars, the radioactivity from the bombs’ fallout alone was enough to make the meat too dangerous to eat.

The slow downward movement of cesium through the forest’s soil likely plays a role in this phenomenon, Steinhauser says. After radioactive particles settle on the ground, the soil holds it in one layer like a time capsule, and rainfall steadily washes it deeper year after year. Over time, the particles accumulate in fungi and make their way into boar, in what Feng calls a “snowball effect.” In winter, Bavarian boars have few other food sources, making them especially vulnerable to accumulating radiation.

Consumption of wild boar meat, which was long considered a delicacy in the region, has noticeably decreased in recent decades, Steinhauser says. There are ecological impacts, too, he adds. If no one wants to eat boar meat, hunters could be deterred from thinning their numbers, raising the possibility that populations could grow unmanageably large. This would threaten Bavarian forests, Steinhauser says, as too many boars can cause a lot of damage to forest vegetation and nearby farms.

Please don't feed the trolls!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And I thought CWD in whitetails was bad!

On the, wait for it, bright side, maybe the boars will start to glow in the dark and make nightvision gear unneccessary. smile

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And yet they say the airbursts directly over Japanese cities allowed the winds to carry the particles away, and the radiation levels there are normal.

Can't help but wonder if scavenging/cannibalism plays a big role.

Just like fishes, the big, old ones hold the contamination from every critter they
have eaten, including from what their food had eaten.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
And yet they say the airbursts directly over Japanese cities allowed the winds to carry the particles away, and the radiation levels there are normal.

I havent heard much of Japanese cannibalism. I'll check social media today.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read about the issue with those boars a few years back. Its amazing how many animals thrive in spite of the challenges of Chernobyl

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

😁😁😁😁😁😁

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm one of those people that does not like spiders at all but radiation really freaks me out...sick

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And we wonder why Cancer rates are through the roof, there is your answer I'm thinking.

2000 detonations? F'ing morons!

Thank you, Politicians!

Last edited by KillerBee; 08/31/23.

KB

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I wouldn’t eat them anyway

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a wild boar sandwich at a night market in Vienna a few years ago. Am I going to die?

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Steve
Had a wild boar sandwich at a night market in Vienna a few years ago. Am I going to die?
Some day

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[quote=Dillonbuck]And yet they say the airbursts directly over Japanese cities allowed the winds to carry the particles away, and the radiation levels there are normal.

I havent heard much of Japanese cannibalism. I'll check social media today.[/quote

During WWII, after the US cut off contact/supply lines, etc. for the Japanese stuck on some islands did resort to cannibalism, as they starved to death without the lines of communications they needed for food, ammo, etc. The US submarine force killed a LOT of Japanese troops (indirectly) by sinking supply boats/ships all over the south Pacific. PT boats did their share, as did the Air Corp. Sinking anything floating with a Japanese flag eventually caused them to dine upon their comrades.
It is documented.
I don't think it happened on the mainland of Japan, though their resources were also diminished greatly by the sinking of anything Japanese, naval or merchant.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

That [bleep] power plant in Japan that was destroyed by the tsunami - I read a few days ago that they think it's safe enough now to start flushing the hot waste water into the ocean. They're having major protests by the people fearing contamination of fish from the radiation. The demonstrations are by both Japanese and south Koreans.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by Steve
Some day

shit....

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
[quote=Dillonbuck]And yet they say the airbursts directly over Japanese cities allowed the winds to carry the particles away, and the radiation levels there are normal.

I havent heard much of Japanese cannibalism. I'll check social media today.[/quote

During WWII, after the US cut off contact/supply lines, etc. for the Japanese stuck on some islands did resort to cannibalism, as they starved to death without the lines of communications they needed for food, ammo, etc. The US submarine force killed a LOT of Japanese troops (indirectly) by sinking supply boats/ships all over the south Pacific. PT boats did their share, as did the Air Corp. Sinking anything floating with a Japanese flag eventually caused them to dine upon their comrades.
It is documented.
I don't think it happened on the mainland of Japan, though their resources were also diminished greatly by the sinking of anything Japanese, naval or merchant.

The writer did a poor job!

I went to discussing the lack of contamination in Japan, back to discussing
Euro hogs. Pondering on them picking up radiation by consuming dead adult hogs,
scavenging other animals. Like how apex fish species acquire the heavy metals of everything they eat, and whatever their prey had eaten.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,479
Posts18,508,724
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.