Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I do not have an immediate need, but I'm just thinking.

If I have a water well that never seems to run dry and it's . . . we'll say 60-70 feet vertical from the house and across 300 feet of field, and I want to fill a cistern at the house from the well, I should be able to get a well pump that has 150 feet of head, delivering 3-4 gpm and use that to fill the cistern. Correct? I'd run it off a solar panel.

What I'm thinking of is installing a submersible pump at the well and running it off a solar panel. It would be used for flushing toilets and doing laundry and watering the lawn.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What's the recovery rate on the well?

How much available water in the well to start with?

Shallow hand dug or deeper drilled well?

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 08/31/23.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes,you can get a solar powered well pump.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just rough guess but if 150 ft of head ain’t gonna cut it right now with your numbers I see 360-370 ft of head.

Swifty
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
How much elevation between the top of the well and the cistern fill port? That height plus the static lift height (depth) of the well is your total head.

Over 300’ you’ll need to right size the line and account for friction loss to make sure the pump will handle that.

A pump manufacture worth a $hit will have pump curves available to get you where you need to be pump wise.

Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ErniesSalad
How much elevation between the top of the well and the cistern fill port? That height plus the static lift height (depth) of the well is your total head.

Total STATIC head.

300' of pipe, bunch of elbows and fittings is going to add some to the TOTAL head.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Dutch

Total STATIC head.

300' of pipe, bunch of elbows and fittings is going to add some to the TOTAL head.

Yes, but if the elevation across the 300’ is 0 then the total static head across that length of pipe is 0. Elbows and fittings are frictional losses that are overcome by static discharge. Hence my comment about a good pump manufacture having pump curves to account for all of that.

Ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Total STATIC head.

Yes, but if the elevation across the 300’ is 0 then the total static head across that length of pipe is 0. Elbows and fittings are frictional losses that are overcome by static discharge. Hence my comment about a good pump manufacture having pump curves to account for all of that.
He drives a Ford Maverick for a ranch truck and stayed at Holiday Inn.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I misread this statement

If I have a water well that never seems to run dry and it's . . . we'll say 60-70 feet vertical from the house and across 300 feet of field, and I want to fill a cistern at the house from

Guess the OP should state exactly what he means by vertical feet from the house.

Swifty
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
What's the recovery rate on the well?

How much available water in the well to start with?

Shallow hand dug or deeper drilled well?

I don't know. I suspect it was hand dug a long time ago for the farm house that was torn down in 1902. It was hand carried up the hill--not a job I'd want. The new house is on top of the hill and the well is down a rather severe slope from the back of the house. Right now that house is fed from a cistern that collects rainwater off the roof. I also have the option of hooking up to city water. The current cistern does fine for now-- weekends and such. I'm thinking of adding on and moving in full time.

Right now, I'm just looking to figure out if there is a possibility of using it, or just covering it over and forgetting about it. I know several acres of pasture drain down to it. It is at the head of a small above-ground stream that has a huge amount of flow
whenever it rains.

Let me clarify: The house sits 300 feet away from the well, and the direct path from house to well undergoes a drop of 55 feet from back porch to the top of the well. There is water in the bottom, but I've yet to determine depth. I know this is missing info, but I figure the hard part is getting up the hill.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
What’s your budget? I believe I’d hook on to city water. How many feet of water line would be needed to hookup to city?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good rule of thumb is height in meters X desired flow per minute in liters divided by 4500 and get a HP number .....and pad that by 3 or 4 for long life.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You answered my question. Can you use it maybe yes maybe no. Depends on the cistern quality and water quality of the well. But depending on pipe size and such you are definitely not going to get by on 150 foot head pump. That isn’t going to work. Cost for one big enough might outweigh usefulness.

Swifty
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R

Total STATIC head.

What?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Get Angus, Moose, Poo-Bear and Piglet to hand pump it with an old-timey thing.

Or go back to whatever you weren't accomplishing yesterday.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're gonna need a big damn pump to lift water 60-70' then through 300' of hose. A common shallow well or small submersible pump wont do it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Build an 80' foot tower with a tank on top

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RHOD

Total STATIC head.

What?

Quite the analysis there, isn't it?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmmmmm.....
First off, I don't know how dependable they are, but you can buy submersible, solar powered pumps.
Just remember, unless you have storage batteries, the pump is useless on cloudy days and at night.
But yeah, a submersible will push water that high.

Next, you say the well is 60' to 70' verticle from the house.
Is the house uphill or downhill from the well?

Elevation provides .433 lbs of pressure per foot of elevation.
If the well is 60 feet above the house, it's 60×.433 and you can easily "gravity feed" the cistern.
That will provide enough pressure to fill your cistern easily.
If the well is "below" the house, you'll need a pump that provides enough "head" to get it high enough.
It takes about 85 feet of elevation to get 35psi. Thirty five psi is required by insurance companies to provide fire protection.

NOW! If your submersible pump goes into a pressurized tank, you can crank the pressure up to feed the cistern....OR, you can set up an "airlift" pump to move it to the cistern.

Also, you could use a windmill to pump the well, then pump from a storage tank into your cistern.

I'm currently pumping a 75 foot well with an airlift pump* into a pressure tank. When the tank is full, I revalve the air to pressurize the tank and move the water about 80 feet to my garden.

* - an airlift pump works by pumping air into the bottom of the well pipe. That aerates and lightens the water column in the pipe and pushes the water out if the top of the pipe. Unfortunately, the water comes out in spits and spurts, not a steady flow.

An interesting fact few people know.
Maximum Suction lift is 33 feet, I don't care HOW big the pump is.

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 08/31/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you say several acres of pasture drain down to it? That would be a deal killer for sure. Especially if you are going to be doing laundry or watering the lawn where it would get aerated so you would/could inhale it. E Coli is a big problem in cattle waste...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,785 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,955
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.