Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My wife and I might buy a house that is not on the market. The lady wants to sell it but doesn't plan to list it with a realtor. She is unsure of the exact square footage. She says it is about 2000. I would like to know how big it is since many homes are listed with a price and size and thus a price per square foot. When a realtor lists a house and says it is a certain size, how is that size determined? If the seller doesn't have blueprints then how is it figured?

We plan on seeing it again on Sunday for the second time. We plan to take a tape measure and measure the outside walls and also take some measurements inside. The outside measurements are not equal to what is in a typical listing I would guess. Anyway I would appreciate some advice on how to get a close estimate of the actual size of the house. Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Almost all tax assessments have the square footage listed. Sites like Zillow use those numbers in their estimates and publish them.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Google the address. Even if it's not listed, likely info online.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rufous
My wife and I might buy a house that is not on the market. The lady wants to sell it but doesn't plan to list it with a realtor. She is unsure of the exact square footage. She says it is about 2000. I would like to know how big it is since many homes are listed with a price and size and thus a price per square foot. When a realtor lists a house and says it is a certain size, how is that size determined? If the seller doesn't have blueprints then how is it figured?

We plan on seeing it again on Sunday for the second time. We plan to take a tape measure and measure the outside walls and also take some measurements inside. The outside measurements are not equal to what is in a typical listing I would guess. Anyway I would appreciate some advice on how to get a close estimate of the actual size of the house. Thanks!

When they've measured ones I've sold and bought, they just get a 50' tape, measure the length and width of the foundation outside, and multiply. It's not perfect, but close enough to get an idea. If it has a part that a different size, do it separate and add. I think they just double for a second story.

Last edited by reivertom; 09/01/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Length times width will get you very close, for living space minus walls.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Local tax records. It is public information.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Just measure the outside dimensions and do the simple math. You can nail it within one square foot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assessors measured oitside.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For real estate selling/buying purposes the square footage is figured on the area that is air conditioned living area.

For survey and tax purposes, they figure the square footage on the footprint of the building... Measuring on the outside, all the way around. That's the way I calculated thousands of home improvement surveys for real estate sales and title policies and lender required purposes.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Is this actually a question?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

As folks have said, exterior LXW.
However, what you're calculating, a $/sq ft is meaningless.

If the doors and windows are in the wrong place for your furniture, then sq footage means nothing. If you can't see yourself making food in the kitchen, or waking up in the middle of the night and hitting the head, then sq footage means nothing.

When considering a house for purchase, I go in each room and do a quick mind's eye view of what goes where and what walking through is going to be like. If I don't like the flow of the rooms, I walk.

Something else: Square Footage listings are very misleading in another way. It depends on how you're using it. If the attic is semi-finished and you're thinking of turning it into a loft bedroom or office, then that's more sq footage. If you're using the basement for a workshop that's more sq footage.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For tax purposes a house is taxed on the total living space that is heated and cooled so you can exclude a garage or carport. Otherwise it's just simple math. I would also consider when it was built and how well insulated it is. What does it cost to heat and cool. Structural defects, etc.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by shaman

As folks have said, exterior LXW.
However, what you're calculating, a $/sq ft is meaningless.

If the doors and windows are in the wrong place for your furniture, then sq footage means nothing. If you can't see yourself making food in the kitchen, or waking up in the middle of the night and hitting the head, then sq footage means nothing.

When considering a house for purchase, I go in each room and do a quick mind's eye view of what goes where and what walking through is going to be like. If I don't like the flow of the rooms, I walk.

Something else: Square Footage listings are very misleading in another way. It depends on how you're using it. If the attic is semi-finished and you're thinking of turning it into a loft bedroom or office, then that's more sq footage. If you're using the basement for a workshop that's more sq footage.

Not all bad points , but comparing finished $/SF is an easy way to compare apples to apples given other things equal like location.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyway I would appreciate some advice on how to get a close estimate of the actual size of the house.

Do what you describe with the tape measure, and measure all the finished space. If a room has finished walls, HVAC, and a finished ceiling include it in the total and if not don't. Get hold of the county recorder's office and get the property info from them to compare against your measurements.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Must be the schools these days...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Property Appraiser's web site for every county has a listing, on line, for every property in the county, same for cities, by address, owner, size, all buildings, etc. It is public knowledge and accessible by compute. For property insurance purposes, my office used the sites daily.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It can’t be. This has to be a joke or a well played troll…

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
It can’t be. This has to be a joke or a well played troll…
It was a properly asked question by someone who apparently has a need to know. Your insulting remarks aren't needed or appreciated. You're dragging this site into the mud.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Dutch
Almost all tax assessments have the square footage listed. Sites like Zillow use those numbers in their estimates and publish them.

Exactly...

Assuming the lot is average... and any out buildings are typical (do not add any real value)...

Zillow does a $$$ per SF of house.

I think the average per SF in Northern Virginia is $550+ per SF... around here it probably $300... in WV it might be $220.

My metal buildings ran me $10 SF... turn key they will hit $20 SF. The cabins will be under $40 SF probably.

----------------------------------

2,000 SF can run from $440,000 to $1.1m (depending)

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Tape measure/calculator will get you close.

You can’t determine value by square footage but it will get you close. Appraisers adjust $45-50 per square foot, but try to keep comps within 200sq ft.

Good luck. See if a realtor will do a cma for you for a few hundred bucks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

228 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 2,083 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,994
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.