Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here’s an article from Real Clear History which poses an interesting question and should make a great conversation starter!
Which Historic Battle would you most like to witness, and why?
I grew up with a love of American History. For me there’s at least a half dozen battles which have fueled my imagination and reading through the years.
Gettysburg, Antietam, The Battle of the Monongahela, Little Bighorn, all have fascinated me. I know what went wrong, where and why, because I’ve studied most everything I could get my hands on! grin
For me though, I believe my pick would take me to San Antonio in 1836.
The siege of The Alamo and books about it make up a decent chunk of my Nook space, and my bookshelves! smile
This got started with John Wayne’s movie and the book “13 Days To Glory” as a kid.
Travis, Bowie And Crockett have always been heroes to me.
The reason for my pick though is this. Despite all the film and ink dedicated to this, NO ONE can say with any certainty, what exactly took place! blush
We’re there survivors of the defenders? Did Travis draw a line in the sand? How many Texans exactly valued honor and freedom more than life itself?
These and other questions have captured the minds of us Amateurs and professional historians for a couple hundred years.
It’s fascinating history and serves as an inspiration to myself, several other ‘Campfire members and thousands of others!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Battle of the Supremacies ..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jutland

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That or the attack by TAFFY 3 against the Japanese battleships. That was gallantry.

Pershing 1A. No city too big, no populated area too small. We even get the roaches.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great topic.

I’ve always had some interest in history and wars. I’m not sure which I would choose but would probably lean towards Gettysburg for the overall significance that it played in American history.

You named some good ones. The Alamo, Gettysburg, the Little Bighorn, lots of legendary men and something that would be epic to have watched unfold from a birds eye view.

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by MichiGun
Jutland

👍👍👍

7mm buster,

If you like the Alamo, and the area around San Antonio, I would suggest a bit of reading on a much much BIGGER battle. Matter of fact the largest engagement on North American soil until the 1861-65 conflict. That would be "Th Battle of the Medina”

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Historic battles are the bailiwick of Victor Davis Hanson! Been reading him for 25 years!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Borodino - September 7, 1812. The battle has been described as watching a "fully loaded 747 crash every five minutes for eight hours". Had to get 100 years later to see greater levels of carnage.

Cannae - August 2, 216 BC. Around 70,000 Romans killed in about eight hours is beyond comprehension.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Here’s an article from Real Clear History which poses an interesting question and should make a great conversation starter!
Which Historic Battle would you most like to witness, and why?
I grew up with a love of American History. For me there’s at least a half dozen battles which have fueled my imagination and reading through the years.
Gettysburg, Antietam, The Battle of the Monongahela, Little Bighorn, all have fascinated me. I know what went wrong, where and why, because I’ve studied most everything I could get my hands on! grin
For me though, I believe my pick would take me to San Antonio in 1836.
The siege of The Alamo and books about it make up a decent chunk of my Nook space, and my bookshelves! smile
This got started with John Wayne’s movie and the book “13 Days To Glory” as a kid.
Travis, Bowie And Crockett have always been heroes to me.
The reason for my pick though is this. Despite all the film and ink dedicated to this, NO ONE can say with any certainty, what exactly took place! blush
We’re there survivors of the defenders? Did Travis draw a line in the sand? How many Texans exactly valued honor and freedom more than life itself?
These and other questions have captured the minds of us Amateurs and professional historians for a couple hundred years.
It’s fascinating history and serves as an inspiration to myself, several other ‘Campfire members and thousands of others!
7mm
Same, the Alamo since I had an ancestor who was one of the Immortal32 and died there, George W. Tumlinson, 22. Had others that were Texas Rangers etc. during that time period. Old 300 family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortal_32

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Tumlinson-24

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Austerlitz!

And a bit older

Leuthen!

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/02/23.

Founder

WS

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
After witnessing a little Afro drama at a gas station last week....I'm going with Rorkes Drift until I cool off a little.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by flintlocke
After witnessing a little Afro drama at a gas station last week....I'm going with Rorkes Drift until I cool off a little.

Or maybe even Bembezi!!!😉

Founder

WS

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by flintlocke

Yep

Chosin reservoir.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The Battle of San Juan Hill (or more historically correct, Kettle Hill).

Always been a fan of T. R. and the Rough Riders.

My sister worked at Bay Pines V.A. hospital in Tampa, and one of her patients was the last veteran of the Spanish-American War.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Midway

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hue City.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The history of the world is the history of war. War is incessant. "Only the dead have seen the end of war."

Although some have attributed this to Plato, there is no proof of his writing it. Actually, it is first seen in George Santayana's "Soliloquies in England" (Scribners, 1924, p. 102), Soliloquy #25, "Tipperary", in a section which reads: "Yet the poor fellows think they are safe! They think that the war is over! Only the dead have seen the end of war." Santayana does not attributes the saying to Plato, or anybody else for that matter

For what it is worth.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
My Dad was on the Yorktown at the Battle of the Coral Sea, on the Yorktown when she was sunk at Midway, on the West Virginia at Leyte Gulf/Surigao Straights and was part of the bombardment before the landings on Iwo Jima. The West Virginia was also right next to the Missouri when the Japs signed the surrender at Tokyo. So, for me it's Midway and Lete Gulf. He was elsewhere when Taffy 3 was attacked but that has to be one of the most heroic battles I ever heard of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by La_Rebel
My Dad was on the Yorktown at the Battle of the Coral Sea, on the Yorktown when she was sunk at Midway, on the West Virginia at Leyte Gulf/Surigao Straights and was part of the bombardment before the landings on Iwo Jima. The West Virginia was also right next to the Missouri when the Japs signed the surrender at Tokyo. So, for me it's Midway and Lete Gulf. He was elsewhere when Taffy 3 was attacked but that has to be one of the most heroic battles I ever heard of.
My father was at Surigao Strait on the Pennsylvania and a cousin recently deceased was on the Denver at Surigao. My father told me of all the swimming Jap sailors in the water after the battle but he didn't tell the whole story. My cousin told me the American ships machine gunned the swimmers. Which I imagine even then was unlawful.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Holy cow, you’re Old Man was in the thick of the war against Japan!
Surely a man I would love to meet!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Anaconda, 10Glocks, 907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,927
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.