Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Reliable ones of both sorts would suit me fine, but pumps require less maintenance, which might make a difference with a gun that mostly sits in a corner waiting for trouble.
Pump for me. Why pay 1500-2000 dollars for reliability when you can get it for 400 bucks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long and I don't even have to do my part...
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I spent some time and money last year on a Mossberg 590S with full-length magazine and “goat-string” peep sight. Replaced the peep with a rail and red dot, replaced the safety with a metal one, added a light mount, bought some chokes. Good gun, but pretty dang heavy and unwieldy, especially if fully loaded. When the old Deerslayer I just bought lands, I might just sell that tactical monster off. Four or five rounds is generally sufficient for civilian defense, even the rack-clack of a round going in might do the trick. Many years ago it sufficed to run off a bunch of jackholes parked outside my house drinking, swearing while my grandmother was there. The windows were open, and I just ran that slide next to one, never loaded it. Seconds later, car doors were slamming and off they went.

I’ve shot 5-stand with that 590 a couple of times using an IC tube, and hunted turkeys. Too heavy and unwieldy for the latter IMO.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
the Mossberg 500 pump in 12ga . i have two of them. the old 500 only has 1 bead, the newer version has 2 beads. it doesn't jam and it is almost as fast as the the semi.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Trystan
For home defense there are a few things you should consider......First and foremost is do you have a family that lives with you? If you do a shotgun is a terrible defense weapon since an intruder could very easily get a family member of yours in between them and you. In this case I'd much prefer an AR with a laser sight.

So you think it would be safer to use an AR which will go through a bad guy and then a wall hitting God knows what on the other side of the wall? Ever stop to think about that?

A load of birdshot in a full choke will not have much spread in the distances found in the average house and won't have much energy left to shoot through a wall if the pellets get through the bad guy. And if you think a load of #4 or #6 shot won't be devastating at 10 yards then You've never really played with it. Nobody is walking away from a chest shot of #4 or #6 shot at 30 feet and it is a whole lot easier to really smack someone with 200+ pellets than the 9 or 12 pellets found in a 00 Buck load. Remember this is self defense, not deer hunting.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mossberg 590. 9 shot. Heat shield. Ghost ring sights. Phooking bayonet lug! Model 50693. If you don't need it immediately they will go on sale this fall again. Should be around 450 to 500.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
I'm in the semi crowd.

A properly maintained semi, with quality ammo is a very reliable weapon.

I've taken 2 defensive shotgun classes, and in both the only issues I saw guys have with guns was with short stroked pump guns when shooting in odd positions. My Benelli M1S90:

Personally now, I use a carbine. Less chance of over-penetration, less recoil, higher capacity, more modular for the rest of the family, more precise if needed. Way easier to find training classes for.

My LE6920 set up for HD:

The carbine is also a lot easier for me to train/practice with:

In .22LR:

In 9mm:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]l]

I really like my 9mm carbine as it recoils more than 5.56 and doesn't screw up my AR500 tgts at CQB distances. I get a lot of use out of it for PCC matches also.

Last edited by Chuck_R; 09/03/23.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I’d cruise pawn shops for a ratty 870. Clean it up, replace anything that needs it. Coat it, and accessorize as you see fit.

Last edited by horse1; 09/03/23.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by texasbatman
There is something frightening about the sound of a pump shotgun being cycled. smile

Jim
Yes, I had a midnight door knock incident de-escalate just from the sound. A deputy informed me the next day the perps that had asked to use my phone backed off at the sound of the pump, went down the highway, entered an old guy's house, cuffed him around and stole his pickup. The humorous part was, nobody but me knew the shotgun was empty.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Portside2
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Not a gun writer but no way would I trust a semiauto shotgun under $300 for a home defense gun. I use 870s for that purpose if I were to use a semiauto it would have to be a Benelli or Beretta.

I couldn't agree more.
Bingo

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Aaand, The grandsons and I just discovered this summer, that my not so trusty Browning Auto 5 becomes very unreliable when shot loosely from the hip. I got a bunch of cardboard boxes and styro sheets with a new barbecue and we were jackassing around blasting them in "tactical drills" with some factory 'game' loads. Thought it was the gun, so we turned the friction ring stack upsy daisy for light loads and it still malfunctioned enough to get you in trouble. Something to keep in mind.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rboom
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Reliable ones of both sorts would suit me fine, but pumps require less maintenance, which might make a difference with a gun that mostly sits in a corner waiting for trouble.
Pump for me. Why pay 1500-2000 dollars for reliability when you can get it for 400 bucks.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Agreed. A Mossberg or 870 is pretty much guaranteed to work. If on a tight budget, the Maverick 88 looks good, but I don’t know if any of the cost-cutting measures affect the working parts.

Funny, but I was sorta admiring a glitzy Benelli someone brought to clays the other day. Silver receiver, carbon stock. Guy said he got it free with Cabelas points. Dang thing kept failing to cycle, something I thought Benellis weren’t supposed to do. Don’t know the man, so I didn’t pry about maintenance etc. Looks like it’s an Ethos, $2300 simoleons. Yikes!

OTOH, the guy with a fancy new A5 is happy as a pig in poop….

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
I'm in the semi crowd.

I've taken 2 defensive shotgun classes, and in both the only issues I saw guys have with guns was with short stroked pump guns when shooting in odd positions. My Benelli M1S90:

Personally now, I use a carbine. Less chance of over-penetration, less recoil, higher capacity, more modular for the rest of the family, more precise if needed. Way easier to find training classes for.

My LE6920 set up for HD:

In .22LR:

In 9mm:

I really like my 9mm carbine as it recoils more than 5.56 and doesn't screw up my AR500 tgts at CQB distances. I get a lot of use out of it for PCC matches also.

Yup, my experience and conclusions are similar.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bowmanh
Originally Posted by Chuck_R
I'm in the semi crowd.

My LE6920 set up for HD:

In .22LR:

In 9mm:

Yup, my experience and conclusions are similar.

Semi auto is the way to go. I went with the Benelli M2.

Try pumping with one arm out of commission

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by MAC
For home defense there are a few things you should consider......First and foremost is do you have a family that lives with you? If you do a shotgun is a terrible defense weapon since an intruder could very easily get a family member of yours in between them and you. In this case I'd much prefer an AR with a laser sight.

So you think it would be safer to use an AR which will go through a bad guy and then a wall hitting God knows what on the other side of the wall? Ever stop to think about that?

A load of birdshot in a full choke will not have much spread in the distances found in the average house and won't have much energy left to shoot through a wall if the pellets get through the bad guy. And if you think a load of #4 or #6 shot won't be devastating at 10 yards then You've never really played with it. Nobody is walking away from a chest shot of #4 or #6 shot at 30 feet and it is a whole lot easier to really smack someone with 200+ pellets than the 9 or 12 pellets found in a 00 Buck load. Remember this is self defense, not deer hunting.

9mm with the proper load doesn't have this problem you are describing IME. You have your own conclusions and there's nothing wrong with that. Just attempting to add some friendly ideas here

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
IMO #1 - #4 buckshot gives the best of both worlds safety of over penetration and effectiveness on Target. for indoor close range applications

Last edited by ldholton; 09/03/23.
C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
[/quote]
Originally Posted by MAC
[quote=Trystan]For home defense there are a few things you should consider......First and foremost is do you have a family that lives with you? If you do a shotgun is a terrible defense weapon since an intruder could very easily get a family member of yours in between them and you. In this case I'd much prefer an AR with a laser sight.

Nothing that's reliably effective in stopping threats doesn't have a risk of over penetrating.

Period, there's no free lunch here.

The AR15 with proper ammo selection has been shown to over penetrate less than shotgun and handgun rounds. It's all about velocity and fragmentation. Just some relevant reading:

From Hornady:

In short, no. In fact, every Hornady® 223 Rem and 5.56 NATO load is designed to penetrate less than most service pistol cartridges. Total penetration varies from as little as 5.5 inches from the 40 grain load to 15 inches from the 62 grain barrier load. All of these are equal to or less than the FBI’s maximum recommended penetration of 15 inches.

https://www.hornadyle.com/resources/le-faq/are-there-over-penetration-risks-when-using-223-or-556-nato-ammunition#:~:text=In%20short%2C%20no.,the%2062%20grain%20barrier%20load.

FBI and Independent Testing Has Consistently Shown .223/5.56 NATO Fired From AR-15’s Do Not Over Penetrate More Than Pistol/Shotgun
First up is this older article by R.K. Taubert, a retired FBI agent with over 20 years experience who conducted extensive counter-terrorism and weapons research while with the Bureau.

To quote Mr Taubert, (emphasis mine) ” … As a result of renewed law enforcement interest in the .223 round and in the newer weapons systems developed around it, the FBI recently subjected several various .223 caliber projectiles to 13 different ballistic tests and compared their performance to that of SMG-fired hollow point pistol bullets in 9mm, 10mm, and .40 S&W calibers.

“Bottom Line: In every test, with the exception of soft body armor, which none of the SMG fired rounds defeated, the .223 penetrated less on average than any of the pistol bullets.”

https://www.preparedgunowners.com/2...ome-defense-fbi-overpenetration-testing/

As hard as it may be to believe, the .223 Rem/5.56mm light varmint loads (like the 55­grain V-­Max) will penetrate LESS drywall than a bonded jacketed hollow point fired from a 9mm handgun or a load of 12 gauge 00 buckshot utilizing a flight controlled wad. One may ask how, but it is simple physics and understanding on how various ammunition types act. A defensive handgun projectile is designed to penetrate to vital organs and also defeat various light barriers (such as heavy clothing). Due to this, there is a high likelihood of the hollow cavity clogging with drywall dust. Once this occurs, the relatively heavy but slow projectile will act much like a full metal jacket, passing through several layers of drywall before stopping. A shotgun is much like a handgun, in that it fires its payload at relatively low velocities and is reliant on penetration to vitals (or, simply removing vitals). With this, the flight-controlled wad will keep a tighter pattern at extended distances. This means, a missed shot at 10 to 15 feet will result in almost a solid mass of lead. This pattern of buckshot pellets, when launched at 1,200 feet per second, is difficult to slow down and will continue through several layers before stopping.

https://www.firearmsnews.com/editorial/556-223-home-defense/468844

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”
I
IA_fog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by cowboy77845
Semi auto- Browning A 5. IMO Most robust reliable semi auto around. A Benelli youth model is good too. I like the 870 Special Field and the model 12. Saw a SPAS I really liked but choked at the price! All that being said, I have a 97 Repro riot gun close by. Too old to fight, too fat to run, 70% disabled. Just hope I am not first.

If it's the shotgun I prefer the pump

I firmly disagree. I do agree a family member could get in the way but that could happen with anything
I look at it like this …ar with a 30 round mag and ur laser u have 30 shots AND you have to turn ur head so say 2 intruders and u got ur eyes on one and u hear a noise or see movement to ur side u can swing a shotgun pull the trigger without taking ur eyes off target in front of u who could rush u when u turn
Another thought is the pattern and accuracy. Ar equals 30 pinpoint shots
A shotgun with 8 shells holding 9 pellets each that has a pattern of 12-20” at 20 yards without looking
Just my preference

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Rem 870 here

No flies on the Mossberg's either

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MAC

9mm with the proper load doesn't have this problem you are describing IME. You have your own conclusions and there's nothing wrong with that. Just attempting to add some friendly ideas here
Actually, 9mm penetrates more than many .223/5.56 loads, but of course it depends on the load. This is based on published penetration tests done by various people. Some of the 5.56 loads, like M193 (and Federal XM193), are designed to tumble, so they don't penetrate very far. And some of the light bullet LEO loads designed for use in urban areas also don't penetrate far. An example of these would be Federal Tactical TRU 55 Grain Hi-Shok SP which penetrates just over 7 inches in ballistic gelatin. I imagine loads with light varmint bullets would be somewhat similar.

00 Buck is similar to 9mm in penetration. Inside a house where penetration is an issue, something like #4 Buck is a better choice. At very close range birdshot loads work, but when you get out past 10+ yards they lose effectiveness.

I
IA_fog Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
And for the record if I pick a semi it would never be a Benelli, won’t ever ever own that piece of crap finicky non functional shotgun again
1187 or a sx2

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1234, 06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,919
Posts18,479,718
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.