Print Thread
Hop To
F
Futura Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I have a 22-250 6 digit Classic Stainless. The black synthetic stock is really flimsy at the barrel. I can easily flex it into the barrel. Despite having a lot of clearance between the stock.

Is it safe to assume the barrel is a featherweight profile? I thought I had read somewhere they were all sporter barrels. If it is a featherweight contour would it look weird in a sporter stock?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Futura; 09/04/23.
GB1

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s a featherweight barrel.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes; opposite.

They are all fw contour.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice rifle. You guys didn’t answer the last part of his question. Would it look weird in a sporter stock? That’s extremely vague. In a Tupperware stock like it’s in now, my answer is no. The freefloat will be excessive, but looks wouldn’t bother me. In a nice custom wood stock. The uneven gap/freefloat would look unsightly and out of place. The op should clarify what stock he’s talking about

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
F
Futura Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Thanks. I was planning to look for a wood or laminate stock to put it in. I haven’t found one yet. Not looking for anything fancy. So a take off 80-90’s era short action stock from a featherweight would work then?

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
eBay has some stocks that might work for you.

Hal

Last edited by HalH; 09/04/23.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Futura
Thanks. I was planning to look for a wood or laminate stock to put it in. I haven’t found one yet. Not looking for anything fancy. So a take off 80-90’s era short action stock from a featherweight would work then?
Yes, just make sure it’s a true short action stock. The ones prior to 1984 were all long action. A factory walnut featherweight short action stock will nicely complement that rifle. You’ll also need to make sure it’s for the 2 piece bottom metal, your rifle has.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
That sure looks like a Winchester All Terrain rifle with a Featherweight barrel contour. It is for all practical purposes a SS Featherweight, but was sold as the All Terrain. They also made SS sporters with standard weight barrels and the black plastic stock. The ones with Featherweight barrels were less common.

You can tell it is a Featherweight barrel profile by the way it steps down in diameter just in front of the action.

BUT. All of the All Terrains I've seen had the same stock design as the wood Featherweights with the Schnabel on the tip. I can't tell from the pics, but it looks like it may already be in a Sporter stock.

Pic of the All Terrain.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/946263245/Winchester-70-Rare-All-Terrain-Stainless-featherweight.htm

Last edited by JMR40; 09/09/23.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
All Terrain was never offered in short action.

OP rifle is a correct early SA classic stainless. The 22-250, 243, and 308 from the initial run all came with a fw contour barrel and were housed in the same Tupperware stock as the LA sporter contours … they just moved the action screws and adjusted the box confines.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
All Terrain was never offered in short action.

OP rifle is a correct early SA classic stainless. The 22-250, 243, and 308 from the initial run all came with a fw contour barrel and were housed in the same Tupperware stock as the LA sporter contours … they just moved the action screws and adjusted the box confines.

I want to say this is all correct. Furthermore: The All terrain rifles were only made from 1996-1998 and also had the schnabel forend tip. If I'm not mistaken. This rifle in the OP is not an All Terrain model, from what I can tell.

The OP's rifle is just a classic stainless synthetic, fwt 22-250. I personally would stiffen up the tupperware, add a little paint and maybe a red pachmary, glass bedding and hunt the thing. Or go with a correct short action walnut stock. Some examples:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The stock on this rifle would work. It's from a 1984 short action fwt 22-250. Not for sale though!!

Example:
Stainless classic fwt. They always look great in a walnut stock^^

Or work with what you have:

I actually like the tupperware stocks. They are easy to work with.

After looking at the op's pics, I'd pull that damn rail off and put a good set of 2 piece mounts on it. Like the ones shown above. It's a fwt, not a precision rifle.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Gee, thanks? wink

lol

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Probably way out of your price range, but looks like a nice short action stock:

Winchester model 70 short action stock

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,566
Posts18,473,245
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.