Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Picked up this SWEET working rifle from my buddy Hatari over the weekend and I am very pleased! It's a Cogswell & Harrison in 375 H&H FLanged.... 2.5". The rifle is in great shape and with documentation. Ammo IS an issue, but I found brass and I'm having custom dies done by CH Tool & Die :custom die I have brass coming from Buffalo Arms and a friend of mine who had one says it shoots the 270gr Hornadys very well. I'm pretty excited to have my first British Double,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Posts like this is why I keep coming back. Very nice. Let us know how she shoots.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
CONGRATULATIONS! Jorge

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Awsome. Enjoy.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow……congrats! 👍 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Nice Jorge!…. I hope you create some great hunting memories with her.

I had some original 375 flanged with cordite but I pulled the cordite and burned it for curiosity’s sake. I’ll keep my eyes open in some of the obscure LGS’s I haunt for brass, I find all kinds of weird stuff sometimes.

I’d be interested in the real velocities and data you work up once you get going with her. I’m always interested in real world performance of “old” cartridges versus real world performance of their “modern” counterparts…like the newcomer .375H&H. 😂

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Very nice Jorge. What's on the critter menu?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Nice find. I like that one. Looks like a good project. 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jorge,

You should be able to find smokeless equivalent loads in Graeme Wright’s ‘Shooting the British Double Rifle’ which should put you close to regulation. If you don’t have a copy I would be glad to look up the 375 H&H Flanged 2.5”.

Time to contact John Sharp and go back to the Bubye for another good buff. Perfect DRG and cartridge for that scenario.

Enjoy!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
Very nice Jorge. What's on the critter menu?

Nothing planned as of yet, Ed. I've been doing a bit of reading on the caliber (remember it's a "short" 375 at 2.5" where the regular Magnum is 2.94") and it was very popular in India for the big cats and plains game. A friend of mine(JudgeG over on AR) had a H&H in the same caliber and he took over twenty species in Africa with it. I think it's too light for buffalo and I would much prefer the Magnum version, but I just could not pass up a Cogswell and Harrison at a very reasonable price. I have ordered custom dies and I emailed Woodleigh and they will be producing the 270gr 375 in about six weeks although the rifle regulates fine (I am told) with Hornadys. Also, Kynoch still makes the ammo, so I've been in contact with them for factory ammo. I'll keep you all posted.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
Jorge,

You should be able to find smokeless equivalent loads in Graeme Wright’s ‘Shooting the British Double Rifle’ which should put you close to regulation. If you don’t have a copy I would be glad to look up the 375 H&H Flanged 2.5”.

Time to contact John Sharp and go back to the Bubye for another good buff. Perfect DRG and cartridge for that scenario.

Enjoy!!

I have the book, thank you, IMR 3031 is almost grain for grain the cordite equivalent and as you probably know, there are other ratios depending on powder. See my post above

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
William Clarke 7X57R.

Regulating the barrels is a chore for someone else. I got it to shoot OK, but the bullet weight stamped on the water table and corresponding Cordite, was a tough combination to capture. It did work well enough to shoot deer though…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Actual regulation (where they break the sodder IS for someone else (like JJ Perodeau or McFarlane, etc), but working loads to regulate is not that hard. My 450NE Verney was regulated with factory Hornadys, but I had little trouble in loading my own stuff with Woodleighs and North Forks..

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Jorge,

CH makes good dies at a reasonable price. I bought my 460 G&A dies from them and they turn out excellent ammo.

If the die set you’re looking for is in stock, turn around time is also quite short.

Agree with you that finding a load/bullet combo that shoots to duplicate POI where the barrels were regulated is not difficult.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Spot and stalk nigai... Not easy, as it should be.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is the epitome of "Express Rifle Light"
not at all to be confused with a Bud Lite.
Wright used Varget at the same ratio as used
with the old RL-15 charge weight = 1.15 X Cordite grains.
46 grains Varget is a better way to go than 46 grains RL-15.

Do they still make IMR-3031 ?
One grain Cordite equals one grain of Hodgden Benchmark in my experience,
though Benchmark might be a wee bit slower than IMR-3031 on the burn rate table.
I'd try 40.0 grains of Benchmark with the 270-gr. bullet
and +/- half grains looking for regulatory.
That would probably be the most temperature stable of all you could try.
So easy with foam wad filler.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes they still make IMR 3031 and your ratios are correct. I am going to start with that as well as RL-15 and Varget as I have plenty of all three powders. The die folks are telling me it's going to be months, but I contacted Lee and they can do it in about three months. Stay tuned.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Very nice!

Retired cat herder.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks like a very fun little rifle. I've been intrigued by the shorter cased .375/9.5mm rifles. I've been half-heartedly looking for a 9.5x56MS for a few years now to toy with.

Brandon Gleason
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
OK gents, some results finally. Managed to find some VERY pricey Bertram brass at Buffalo Arms (yikes, but hey, WTF), Used Hornady 270gr SP bullets (not my first choice as Woodleighs won't be available for a couple of months), 40gr of IMR 3013 and F-210 primers and 46gr of VARGET abd WLR primers, right out of the Wright book. These were fired at 40 yards. Not bad for right off the bat. I did not chrono, but it appears the numbers match close as they regulated quite well. The VGT had two two touching and two just right (I don't know if it was crossover) but the 3031 (if you look at the two targets seems the most consistent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,577 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,576
Posts18,492,035
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.