Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mpwolf Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It's funny- everything I have plugged with the 120tsx has certainly died, but blood trails have been distinctly underwhelming. Does the TTSX opens up just that little bit more? It's not that the untipped version doesn't kill, but finding a bear can be more challenging that killing said bear, so bigger exits are the goal here.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
154 rn Hornady would be a good choice, i'm familiar with it but if you could post a picture of a " viking fire princess" I'd appreciate that. I may have seen one but obviously didn't identify it as a "VFP". THANKS IN ADVANCE..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
TTSX is a great option for black bear

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’d pick the bullet that went through the lungs, clipped the top of the heart and maybe even broke a shoulder.

Because I split hairs, I’d choose a premium bullet in the mid weight range. I’d call the 140 or 150 Partition ideal, but a dozen other ones would really be just as good.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Any bullet that will work for deer will work for black bear.

Swift A Frames

Hornady Interlocks

Nosler Partitions

Remington Corloks

Would be my bullets of choice.

Don’t over think this.

Go and enjoy your hunt.

Use any bullet that you shoot accurately.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have never shot a black bear but I have two opinions that I trust, ! guide who has shots or seen shot a lot of black bears . His bullet of choice was the 308 180 gr Winchester power point. The second opinion was from my friend who had shot 69 bears including 2 in the record book. His choice was 3006 and the 150 gr hornady interlock.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you are talking bait than, to me, that says the situation is likely very controlled, relatively close range and you will likely have the chance to be discriminatory in your placement. I probably favor something with a little less weight retention in that scenario for maximum damage to the vitals without needing to worry about penetrating bones (which most good c/c would anyway). The only bear I have ever shot, or seen shot, with a 7mm anything was one I took a bear with a few years back over my hounds. I shot it with my stubby little Contender Carbine in 7-30 Waters. I specifically loaded the 140 Nosler Solid Base in the hopes that it would open well at slower speeds. Just looked at my notes and it looks like I was working at just over 2300 fps in the 21" contender. Worked perfectly with a shot up into the chest between the legs. I just rewatched the video I had on my phone. At the shot, the 5.5' boar climbed straight up a few feet, got the wobbles within just a few seconds and was stone dead within 6 feet of the base of the tree.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great picture Med.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Awesome bear, congrats.

Originally Posted by MedRiver
If you are talking bait than, to me, that says the situation is likely very controlled, relatively close range and you will likely have the chance to be discriminatory in your placement. I probably favor something with a little less weight retention in that scenario for maximum damage to the vitals without needing to worry about penetrating bones (which most good c/c would anyway). The only bear I have ever shot, or seen shot, with a 7mm anything was one I took a bear with a few years back over my hounds. I shot it with my stubby little Contender Carbine in 7-30 Waters. I specifically loaded the 140 Nosler Solid Base in the hopes that it would open well at slower speeds. Just looked at my notes and it looks like I was working at just over 2300 fps in the 21" contender. Worked perfectly with a shot up into the chest between the legs. I just rewatched the video I had on my phone. At the shot, the 5.5' boar climbed straight up a few feet, got the wobbles within just a few seconds and was stone dead within 6 feet of the base of the tree.

R
R
I would choose a 9.3x62 with a 286 gr soft point, but if I had to shoot a smaller caliber it would be the biggest bullet I could get.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by goalie
Not the one stick shot a bear 8 times with.
I'm still laughing at this one...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Any bullet that will work for deer will work for black bear.

Swift A Frames

Hornady Interlocks

Nosler Partitions

Remington Corloks

Would be my bullets of choice.

Don’t over think this.

Go and enjoy your hunt.

Use any bullet that you shoot accurately.
Good advice from my GA friend.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am not a terribly experienced black bear hunter...have killed 10-12, maybe a few more and been around a few more killed. That said, I haven't noticed any standard hunting bullet not working just fine on them. Anything the OP mentioned would be just fine, especially at 7mm-08 velocities. I am not a mono fan for a few reasons but they'd be fine too for this situation.

Good luck, if the hunt hasn't happened already.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've found it prudent,to shoot Victims until they quit wiggling. Hint.

Not all wares are equal and bloodspilling is a sure fire barometer of evaluation. Hint.

Pardon my being afforded the luxuries,of not being forced to guess. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pete53
if i was a serious Black bear hunter with a 7mm-08 over bait i would use 160 gr. Nosler Partitions . i am going to Africa next May 2024 using a 7 mm Remington mag. i will be loading and using 160 gr. Nosler Partitions then. good luck ,Pete53

been a change for me finally got a new to me Winchester model 70 s.s. with a claw 30-06 so i will use 180 gr. Nosler Partitions on these African plains game. i go along with Big Stick if i shoot a bear and it wiggles i will hammer a shot bear more there once , i don`t want pain from a bear. this 180 Nosler Partition bullet is what i would use on bears too.

Last edited by pete53; 09/24/23.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I'd use any quality bullet with controlled expansion. Nosler ballistic tip, SST all work great on bear. I've used cheap cup and core and ended up with bits of lead in meat in the opposite end of the bear after hitting a bone. Not recommended but it will do the job.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The black bears I killed in Alaska were all taken with a 270win and 150gr corelokts. No telling how many bears have fallen to corelokts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I were wanting to step beyond a traditional deer bullet I’d get into a box of 139 LRX and never look back. Oughta be great at just about any scenario a hunter could encounter related to medium game. Have a great hunt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mpwolf
If you were going to smack black bears over bait with a 7-08, what bullet would you choose? I've got the typical 120-140gr tsx, ttsx, AB stuff on the shelf, but I'm half thinking that a 160-180gr cup and core-maybe even roundnose would be pretty devastating. Velocities would be moderate, so I'm not concerned about bullet integrity. Of primary importance to me are complete penetration and good expansion.

One load for all!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I don’t know cshit about bear hunting, but I’d go Nosler Partitions

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

197 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 29 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.