Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I got a Llama 380 from Bass Pro,of all places.It feels really good in my hand ,but the trigger has a "hitch" in it,it'll need some attention from a smith.As far as Bass pro goes,I think that's my last purchase there---what cluster flop--- two hours of three different employees going back and forth over the paperwork plus at first they weren't going to let me examine the pistol without the trigger lock being removed.I was able to work the pistol only because there was a certain manager onsite otherwise I would not have been allowed.But it's a really sweet little gun!

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
When those work, they are nice little guns. I bought one at a gun show like 20 years ago, though, and it jammed constantly.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I’d like to have a Browing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some 1911 pistols from Phillipines will have Llama name etched on the slides. You know, steeped tradition, great reputation and all....🤣

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Long time ago I had a Browning .380, got it from an ex police officer who used it as his back up carry gun. I got it pretty "reasonable", suspected it might have been "confiscated" from some undesirable. Remember it as a fine little firearm, and at the time I wanted one for needs it filled. Years later I traded it on the first .44 mag Contender I ever saw in a shop - still have that one. Shop owner gave me a real good "trade in", but a fellow I worked with who did some collecting told me it was probably worth more.

Mike Holmes

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
Long time ago I had a Browning .380, got it from an ex police officer who used it as his back up carry gun. I got it pretty "reasonable", suspected it might have been "confiscated" from some undesirable. Remember it as a fine little firearm, and at the time I wanted one for needs it filled. Years later I traded it on the first .44 mag Contender I ever saw in a shop - still have that one. Shop owner gave me a real good "trade in", but a fellow I worked with who did some collecting told me it was probably worth more.

Mike Holmes
Are you referring to a Browning BDA? Those were actually made by Beretta, imported by Browning.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago I bought a .380 Colt Pony Pocketlight. It was a beauty. Every time I went out with it, I felt I was under gunned. Traded it for a CZ 9mm compact.

Sam......

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Could have been a BDA, was a LONG time ago! I just know the pistol was "marked" as Browning?

Mike Holmes

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Mikewriter

Mike Holmes
Are you referring to a Browning BDA? Those were actually made by Beretta, imported by Browning.

Browning sold the Model 1910 in several variations up until the 1970s, it was a neat, trim little piece. After 1968, they had to add target sights and grips so it could be imported, but the earlier models were neat, trim, cute little pistols. FN had monkeyed around with the basic design since before WWI, Gavrilo Princip used one on Franz Ferdinand. FN dinked with magazine capacity (lengthened the grip), lengthened the barrel, yadda, yadda, but the basic gun (blowback operated) remained the same.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Got one of these in L.A. during 1968, one of the very last to make it into the U.S. after passage of the GCA. Carried it off duty for several years, till something else turned my head. Very easy pointing and reliable, probably one of the best shooting .380s at that time, perhaps even better than the Walther PP and PPK.

Every day’s an adventure.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Exchippy, as well as I can remember, my Browning .380 looked like yours.

Mike Holmes

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Got one of these in L.A. during 1968, one of the very last to make it into the U.S. after passage of the GCA. Carried it off duty for several years, till something else turned my head. Very easy pointing and reliable, probably one of the best shooting .380s at that time, perhaps even better than the Walther PP and PPK.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. After 1968, they lengthened the barrel/slide, added the beer can adjustable sights, and a thumbrest on the left grip panel, to make it compliant with importation rules.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lucked into a new Colt stainless 1911 MK IV/Series 80 Government Model .380 Auto at a gun show back in the 80's. Chunky little thing that I carried for a time until a S&W half the weight 337PD .38 Special J frame took its place in a front pocket. That little .380 doesn't get out of the drawer much, but it sure is a cute little miniature 1911.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Because regular folks in Mexico are not permitted handguns chambered in military calibers (9mm & .45ACP), a Commander-sized 1911 in .380ACP was developed for that market:

It’s a soft shooting rascal with not much more felt recoil than a .22LR, and a 4-1/4” barrel to add just a bit more speed to the .380’s slugs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Star used to make DK a small light .380 like Colt Pony. Similar guns are still made by Kimber and Sig Sauer.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Because regular folks in Mexico are not permitted handguns chambered in military calibers (9mm & .45ACP), a Commander-sized 1911 in .380ACP was developed for that market:

It’s a soft shooting rascal with not much more felt recoil than a .22LR, and a 4-1/4” barrel to add just a bit more speed to the .380’s slugs.

I gotta admit, that thing looks like fun...................but I've got a bunch of 9mm 1911s, and I could always just load milder stuff for those pistols. I ain't in Mexico.............................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I gotta admit, that thing looks like fun...................but I've got a bunch of 9mm 1911s, and I could always just load milder stuff for those pistols. I ain't in Mexico.............................
Well, it was certainly fun working up the prototype on a lark:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc](Check out that cute serial number.)

You’ve identified just one of many reasons to be thankful you’re not in Mexico these days. A favorite 9x19mm load, which is easier shooting from a full size 1911 than any factory .380 ammo could ever be, is a 125gr. cast SWC over 2.7gr. Bullseye and a CCI 500 primer (works best with a 10 pound recoil spring):

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc](Just ignore those two dropped shots, caused by a loose nut behind the trigger.)

The ability to load the 9x19mm round light probably explains why the .380ACP Commander-sized 1911 has not been offered in the U.S. of A.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Llama is not much of a real 1911.

Mm

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought the Baby Rock was a nice feel in the hand. I have no use for a heavy 380 though. Of course Browning has a version too.

Baby Rock or BBR

Last edited by supercrewd; 09/08/23.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Certainly not the best choice for a combat pistol cartridge, but the .380 ACP WAS a military cartridge for at least five European armies most notably chambered in the Walther PPK used by German officers in WWll.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 61 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.