Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A kit is a good suggestion. You don't need everything in there, but most of it is very useful. A cartridge tray, funnel, scale, lube, and reloading manual are truly necessary. There are other bits and do-dads I use constantly though. Calipers, a case cleaner, deburring tool and primer pocket cleaner.

Also, it never hurts to have more than one press, but it's not necessary. I use two single stages to load most of my calibers and a progressive for 9mm/.223

GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I only got into reloading maybe 6 years ago? It’s been fun, sometimes cheap sometimes expensive. In Long run it’s cheap and worth it. but the initial start get ready to drop $1000+
Especially primers and powder have tripled in price. FJB.

I got the Hornady lock and load kit. To this day I use about 75% of things it came with.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Dre
I only got into reloading maybe 6 years ago? It’s been fun, sometimes cheap sometimes expensive. In Long run it’s cheap and worth it. but the initial start get ready to drop $1000+

I got the Hornady lock and load kit. To this day I use about 75% of things it came with.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL ain't nothing cheap about it ! Used to be.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by anothergun
Originally Posted by Dre

I’m pretty sure I said that somethings have tripled in price and initial investment is not cheap.
If you shoot specialty calibers, it will pay for its self, probably sooner than later.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

I’m pretty sure I said that somethings have tripled in price and initial investment is not cheap.
If you shoot specialty calibers, it will pay for its self, probably sooner than later.

it will pay for its self, probably sooner than later...yeah ok. wishful thinking.

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

it will pay for its self, probably sooner than later...yeah ok. wishful thinking.

Last 6 years I’ve gone through close to 1700 large Rifle primers. For 6.5, 270, 06. Mainly shoot game changers, game kings, SST and recently Speer BTSP. All very reasonably priced. Yet those would be considered premium ammo. And thats not cheap any more, especially in OP caliber list.
Only negative thing about reloading is finding the time with busy work schedule and kids
To each his own brother

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
....and the range being 50 miles away.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Brazosdog
I have managed to avoid reloading anything for nearly 30 years. However, a recent search for a new rifle has gotten me considering 7mm WSM, .270 WBY, and 7mm STW, along with probably others I don’t know about. Most of these are either completely unavailable or expensive to buy. So, here I am. I was looking at a turret press but all of this seems pretty pricey to get into. It has me considering ditching those off rounds and sticking to common and easy to find ammo. What is the absolute cheapest way I can get into quality equipment and reloading?

Plan on spending at least $500 plus actual supplies like powder, primers, brass and bullets. Realistically, $700 all in.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by DaveinWV
The heart of metallic cartridge reloading is the press. Invest accordingly.

I agree! Stay away from the lee stuff except for collet dies and trimmer pilots.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
If you can’t dedicate 4 hours on a weekend to reload, you don’t have time. Most people who “want to reload” don’t t realize the detail and time that’s involved. I have a buddy that wanted to reload. He bought a Hornady kit, powder primers, bullets, dies, etc. but he has no time to actually learn how to do it, nor the time to shoot and test loads. Bottom line is that he only reloads when I am there to help him and hold his hand through the whole process. He certainly won’t load on his own. So he has spent about 1000$ to load 2 boxes of bullets so far, in a years time. Just food for thought.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 09/19/23.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
When I got started, not too long ago....I got a RCBS Rockchucker Extreme Kit. I can't remember needing anything but a calipers to get started loading.

It's way overbuilt for the amount I load, but my grandkids kids can have fun with it.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 29 invisible), 2,054 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,191
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.