Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#18744091 09/09/23
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I was over at a hunting partners house this past Thursday and he had an Esee PR4 fixed blade survival knife.

I'm not really a knife connoisseur so to speak but I really liked that knife for some reason. It looked like it could stand up to some heavy work if needed. So today I ordered one and it will be here Wednesday.

Made in America, so I'm glad about that.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems a lot of the bushcraft/survival knives are made from 1095 steel. Rugged and easy to sharpen, they have a following.

I have a general use drop point from 1095 and it does fine work. But gets sharpened about every time it's used hard.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
They are solid knives at decent prices. The guy who owns the company, Jeff Randall runs a wilderness survival school in Alabama not too far from where I live.

https://randallsadventure.com/instructors

He and his instructors are also active in the SAR world and I had a chance to meet them on a search I participated in.

They make many different versions including some now with SS. I have an Esee 4 in S35V as well as one in 1095.

https://eseeknives.com/

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got a couple ESEE knives, the 4, and the Junglas. Both are really nice using knives.

The ESEE knives are well made, come with a great edge already on them, and a good quality sheath.

S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Boy, the Esee4 with s35V steel looks like dang useful deer knife.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40
They are solid knives at decent prices. The guy who owns the company, Jeff Randall runs a wilderness survival school in Alabama not too far from where I live.

https://randallsadventure.com/instructors

He and his instructors are also active in the SAR world and I had a chance to meet them on a search I participated in.

They make many different versions including some now with SS. I have an Esee 4 in S35V as well as one in 1095.

https://eseeknives.com/

I better stay off that website or I'll be broke grin

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the ESEE 4 HM. I like really like the pattern/profile, canvas micarta, kydex sheath, price, made in ID, etc. but it's a bit overkill for my needs even making kindling and makeshift stakes, poles, etc. I find myself using a Mora instead. No doubt that the ESEE is tougher but the Mora gets the job done. If they made a thinner 4 HM I could see myself using it a lot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
~$15-20 Mora is a lot of knife. Got one in both trucks,one in the Subaru, one in the boat

The point was made above about the ESEEs being US made. And for a fair price. I've got a custom khife coming that I spent 5 bills on. Tons of knives out there that cost a bundle, and it's getting harder to find a bad one, as long as you avoid the fantasy blades at the surplus store

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ESEE knives are good quality, at a fair price. I have several. This little knife, their Xancudo model in S35VN does well with processing dead animals.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
ESEE makes great knives. I've owned all sorts of blades from many manufacturers, at many price-points (some of which I would be embarrassed to disclose how much I spent on). In a real use scenario, ESEE knives can keep up with any of them. That 1095 is tough as snot. I loved my ESSE-4, and used it more than any knife I've owned.

Last edited by foamantelope; 10/31/23.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The PR4 is on my Christmas list I gave to the wife, so I'm sure I'll get more wool socks. I have an Izula II and a CR2.5, both good knives.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The one I have is considerably heavy for the length
and overall size. The sheath was pretty clunky too,
so I made a leather belt "adapter " to make it more
like a conventional belt loop sheath. The Master
Hunter Carbon V I have is lighter and larger in overall
size.
Still, it's a sharp little blankety blanker. Haven't dressed
any larger animals with it. Cut up some vegetables and
sausage with it for jambalaya, and used it to cut up
some small channel cats.
I'd probably buy another if they were priced the same
as when I bought this one. They're about double the
last time I looked

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Communicated with Jeff Randall a bit back in 2002. I was planning a lengthy fishing / survival trip up the Amazon launching from near Lima Peru. Turned out he used the same guide for his survial training expeditions as I had selected based upon recommendation from a university fisheries professor / researcher. He / they are the real deal.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Just bought an ESEE 3 as my new woodswalking knife. Very slim and light. Factory sheath rides high, tight and out of sight with a TekLok clip.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They posted a picture of a blade with Magnacut labeling on IG. More details to come on Tuesday per the post.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sencillo is now available in Magnacut. They sent this via email:

"The ESEE® Knives Sencillo™ was designed and prototyped by Jeff Randall. It’s a simple knife by a simple company. In fact, the name reflects that as the literal translation of Sencillo™ is “Simple”. We are often asked how ESEE® comes up with our designs; to be honest, most knives (regardless of the hype associated with them) are just sharp edges with a handle attached. Some are big, some small, some light, some heavy, some pretty, some ugly but they should all perform one task well; they should cut.

The Sencillo™ was designed in response to customer requests for an ESEE® in “super steel”. ESEE® Knives has never been known to favor these magical steels, thus the reason most of their knives are made from 1095 carbon. So, when people started asking for MagnaCut, Jeff went to his shop and knocked out a prototype of a knife he had sketched a while back with a Sharpie on a cardboard box flap. The prototype was made from A2 – a steel that has been around for many years and proven its worth in knives and tools time and time again. Everyone at ESEE® liked the design and suggested it be done in MagnaCut. Jeff demanded the knife have an A2 as well because of its’ track record in the field. The MagnaCut version will be released at a later date.

The Sencillo™ is slightly bigger than the IZULA-II and features 3D handles so it feels nice in the hand. Bottom line is it will cut hay strings, whittle a stick, and cut your sandwich in half. If you’re looking for something innovative and hyped, then it’s probably not the knife for you. If you are looking for a knife to work day in and day out, it’s worth your consideration.

The Sencillo™ is made in the U.S.A. by White River Knife and Tool. It features an overall length of 7 ¼” with a 1/8” blade thickness, full flat grind, Burlap Micarta handles, ambidextrous Kydex sheath, and backed with the same lifetime warranty. Target HRC for Magnacut is 62-63"

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/14/23.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,258
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.