Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ol_mike
That's baby june-bug - see its leg?

That's a booger with a handle.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We only see this in people that have been triple vaxed and boosted sorry to say but you might want to put all your affair in order now.

If you are not America first you are america last. Be loud and proud America first.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Fish out a green Cadillac with red tail lights.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Flat landers don't have enough red corpuscles to navigate well at the higher elevations! It would take at least three years to become even 80% acclimated! If one is born at the higher altitude levels like Colorado/Idaho aka a native, a whole different situation!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Flat landers don't have enough red corpuscles to navigate well at the higher elevations! It would take at least three years to become even 80% acclimated! If one is born at the higher altitude levels like Colorado/Idaho aka a native, a whole different situation!

While the amount of red corpuscles does increase with altitude, it varies with different humans, both between men and women and by other factors. But athletes also have more red corpuscles, often as much as people who live at higher elevations. This would seemingly help but doesn't all that much when the change is sudden, as in going from sea level to 9000 feet. Yes, the body does adjust somewhat to lower oxygen level even without "adding" red corpuscles--the reason it's advised to spend at least two days, and better yet 3-5, before attempting any strenuous exercise at higher elevations.

In the particular instance I mentioned about my elk hunt, I'd also spent two days driving from Montana through western Wyoming to Colorado, and that part Wyoming is generally higher-elevation than Montana as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saline gel solves the problem with the sinuses, needing more air is another issue....lol

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Blow-n-paste ninja. And yet he bitches about cut-n-paste.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Paul,

In 2005 I hunted elk in the Middle Park area of Colorado, thanks to an invitation from a rifle manufacturer. I live in the bottom of a valley in southwestern Montana at just about 4000 feet above sea level, and regularly hunt up to 7000+ feet in the local mountains. That's enough to have "flatlanders" sucking wind big-time, and result in altitude sickness--even folks who live and hunt in West Virginia, which in general is higher and MUCH more up-and-down than most eastern states.

I guided an 18-year-old West Virginian after black bears in the early 1990s, and his father came along, because he'd arranged the hunt as a high school graduation present. We took it easy on the first day, because they couldn't come earlier to acclimate, basically hunting in the foothills, and they were both sucking air big-time. But five days later, when the boy got his bear at around 7000 feet up in the mountains, they could both get around pretty well--which was handy when we had to backpack the hide, head and meat out.

But I also know altitude sickness can happen to even folks who live and regularly hike in mid-range elevations, as I do. The hunt in Colorado was near Kremmling, a small town in the bottom of a valley at 7300 feet above sea level, about the average elevation where I hunt elk in my local mountains--but the Colorado mountains went UP from there. So I drove down two days before the hunt started and stayed in a motel in Kremmling the first night.

The next day and night were spent at the outfitter's lodge, maybe 1000 feet higher, and when we started hunting at 9000-10,000 feet I didn't have any problems. But I sure could have if started hunting immediately, even after being born and raised and living in Montana.

And yes, while Rolaids and some other stuff can help with altitude sickness, the best "medicine" is at least two days of acclimation, even for hunters in excellent condition.

I am very fortunate in that I have yet to experience altitude sickness. I get the bloody mucous for the first week or so, then it tails off. I have to remember to hydrate too, or I'll get a headache. Something odd happens with my wife. She does great for the first two weeks, but then she starts getting pretty bad shortness of breath.

If I know anything about altitude, I know that it affects everyone a little differently.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bloody snot burgers don't mean altitude sickness. They just mean your sinus mucosa, used to humidity levels above 60% day in and day out are dried out at humidity levels in single digits.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I see some improvement over the course of the 2-3 weeks I spend at higher elevation, but I don't come anywhere close to what I am at sea level. When I get back to sea level, I feel like I am running nitrous for a few days.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Many high elevation locals get dehydrated, too. When the weather cools off, it's easy to not drink enough. Your body needs water to make energy.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Paul,

In 2005 I hunted elk in the Middle Park area of Colorado, thanks to an invitation from a rifle manufacturer. I live in the bottom of a valley in southwestern Montana at just about 4000 feet above sea level, and regularly hunt up to 7000+ feet in the local mountains. That's enough to have "flatlanders" sucking wind big-time, and result in altitude sickness--even folks who live and hunt in West Virginia, which in general is higher and MUCH more up-and-down than most eastern states.

I guided an 18-year-old West Virginian after black bears in the early 1990s, and his father came along, because he'd arranged the hunt as a high school graduation present. We took it easy on the first day, because they couldn't come earlier to acclimate, basically hunting in the foothills, and they were both sucking air big-time. But five days later, when the boy got his bear at around 7000 feet up in the mountains, they could both get around pretty well--which was handy when we had to backpack the hide, head and meat out.

But I also know altitude sickness can happen to even folks who live and regularly hike in mid-range elevations, as I do. The hunt in Colorado was near Kremmling, a small town in the bottom of a valley at 7300 feet above sea level, about the average elevation where I hunt elk in my local mountains--but the Colorado mountains went UP from there. So I drove down two days before the hunt started and stayed in a motel in Kremmling the first night.

The next day and night were spent at the outfitter's lodge, maybe 1000 feet higher, and when we started hunting at 9000-10,000 feet I didn't have any problems. But I sure could have if started hunting immediately, even after being born and raised and living in Montana.

And yes, while Rolaids and some other stuff can help with altitude sickness, the best "medicine" is at least two days of acclimation, even for hunters in excellent condition.

I am very fortunate in that I have yet to experience altitude sickness. I get the bloody mucous for the first week or so, then it tails off. I have to remember to hydrate too, or I'll get a headache. Something odd happens with my wife. She does great for the first two weeks, but then she starts getting pretty bad shortness of breath.

If I know anything about altitude, I know that it affects everyone a little differently.

So true. I've never had a problem with sickness. I will be gassed easier, but that adjusts.

If anyone is worried about it, ask your doc for Diamox prescription and start medicating 2-3 days before with plenty of fluid intake.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live at about 4,200 ft, but when I get to Wy where the floor is at 7,000 and timberline a couple more K up it takes about 2 days for me to get to where I feel like I can fully draw a deep breath. That being, I head out about 3 days early and condition up with camp chores and a little scouting.

Good to go full bore then.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve
Blow-n-paste ninja. And yet he bitches about cut-n-paste.

Copy and paste, but yeah, it's boring as fugk and when done without comment, it's intellectually lazy.

What goes through the mind of a copy and paste ninja? It's almost as if they scour right wing media for something that offends them, then they rush over here to share it with the world. As if it does any good or we wouldn't otherwise encounter the "breaking news." I know who I'd rather share a campfire with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I live at 100 feet above sea level. My hunts in Colorado went up to 11,500 and I did get altitude sickness the first year. After that I took Diamox 2 to 3 days before getting there and a couple days after I arrived and never had a problem. I hunted there for 10 years.

Last edited by champlain_islander; 09/10/23.

living the good life every day
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Grow up.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife & I climbed Mt. Elbert in CO, 14,400', the second highest peak in the lower 48. We were concerned but had no ill effects. Living @ 6,500' helped.

We had to haul ass to make it before the afternoon lightning started.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
9050' on my front porch. No bloody snot here.

How long have you been in that environment? I came from high humidity at sea level a week ago.

Lived 60 of my 70 years here in the mountains of Colorado. Everything is uphill no matter what direction you are going. Regularly work at 10,000' t0 11,000' in my career. No desk work for me. Worked 12 hours a day outside, winter or summer. I have slowed down to 5 or 6 hours of outdoor physical activity now day before a nap is required.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Should have posted my yellow shiet here from the shower this morning. Fugggin air conditioner on every night for the last few weeks has my nose all fugged up.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
This is almost as classy as people posting a pic of their schidt and ear wax.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (160user, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,831
Posts18,496,693
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.