-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a doe at . . . well, here's the thing. I'm not really sure how close. Opening Day, I'd gotten up to pay the rent on the coffee and realized there was a nice fat stump close by. I sat down. It was about 10 AM. I'd seen nothing, and somebody had sent me one of these new-fangled grunt calls to try. I took it out and gave it a blow. There was a line of cedars just to my right, uphill. Suddenly it erupted. Half-a-dozen deer swarmed out of the cedars and came down the hill straight at me. One was a 4-point buck. I brought my Rem 742 up and. . .

I saw a flash of brown in my scope just as I touched it off. It turned out a small doe had crossed in front of me just as I took the shot. The buck was about 20 yards out. I looked up and saw the bullet popping out from between the doe's shoulder blades in slow motion. She collapsed less than 10 yards from me. As I was collecting my gear I found a fresh deer track between my boot tracks where I'd been sitting on the stump.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd guess it was ~5 yards? Maybe a step closer, maybe a step farther. While still hunting going up the mountain just after daylight, I sat down on a rock to watch my backtrail down the mountain and eat a pack of crackers (blood sugar was dropping as I was easing up the mt). It was a cold, still morning...leaves were extremely loud. I'd sat down at the lower side of a patch of hill cane. To my right, left, and above I couldn't see but could see down the mountain well. As I started opening the crackers the plastic was really, really loud. I heard something to my right coming straight towards me and moving at a pretty good pace. I sat the crackers down, put a knee on the ground and turned so I could shoot to that side. He walked out of the cane with the hair on his neck standing up and he looked pissed. Probably 5 steps away, one shot and it was done.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
4 or 5 yards with a long bow.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
5 to 10 yards

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Roughly 15 ft down from a stand with a bow

Probably not much farther in a heavy fog
the last morning of doe days with a shotgun

I'll take one of those rock-throwing-distance deer
over a dozen of the bob lee swagger way way
out there deer any day

Last edited by Ranger99; 09/07/23.
IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I'd guess it was ~5 yards? Maybe a step closer, maybe a step farther. While still hunting going up the mountain just after daylight, I sat down on a rock to watch my backtrail down the mountain and eat a pack of crackers (blood sugar was dropping as I was easing up the mt). It was a cold, still morning...leaves were extremely loud. I'd sat down at the lower side of a patch of hill cane. To my right, left, and above I couldn't see but could see down the mountain well. As I started opening the crackers the plastic was really, really loud. I heard something to my right coming straight towards me and moving at a pretty good pace. I sat the crackers down, put a knee on the ground and turned so I could shoot to that side. He walked out of the cane with the hair on his neck standing up and he looked pissed. Probably 5 steps away, one shot and it was done.

[Linked Image]

It's funny, I've had more than a few come out from noise I made. As long as the wind is right, certain noises I believe only get their curiosity.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Was on the ground in the Corn in Ohio yrs ago as I put my good friend Jeff who's deceased in my favorite tree stand about 150 yards away and a small basket 8 point was walking towards me laterally as I was tucked just inside the corn off an oil lease rd. and everything was right with the wind etc............and about a 3 yard or maybe 8 foot shot nailed him with my bow. I was pleasantly shaking so hard I thought my Heart was gonna jump out of my chest! Had my Mid leg Indian Moccasins on that I call "sneakin slippers" and it's a memory I'll never forget. Bow hunting has really taught me patience in the woods.

HS 58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My very first buck, I was sitting on a board, in the crotch of an Oak tree that was right next to a fence...

Buck ran up beside the Oak tree, stopped at the fence and looked back behind him........

About 6-8 feet, 30-30..........

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
About 15 yards with a .444 marlin. [img]http://[img]https://i.postimg.cc/1gBMdM8D/IMG-1372.jpg[/img][/img]

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was stalking along a deer trail when something spooked an 8 pt over the next hill. He popped up over the hill loping along the same trail I was on toward me. I was standing between two trees with my rifle on him waiting for him to give me a side shot, but he never did. I finally shot him in the face to keep from getting run over. The bullet hit him under the left eye and when he hit the ground his head was about a foot from my boots. I don't think he ever realized I was there!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
10 yards with a recurve bow in 1992. 15 yards with a shotgun in 2005ish.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Bought a 257 Weatherby mag to hunt a LONG field. Wouldn't you know a 10 pt came from behind me. Stood beside the ladder to my stand checking out the field. Had to let him go about 10 ft to be able get the gun on him. 257 Weatherby not ideal for such a short shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
12 yards on a white tail, 11 yards on a mule deer.
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mid 90's I was in an old wooden treestand on a MN river bottom and this small buck came underneath me, not sure of the distance, maybe 8-10' from the muzzle tops. I was probably 16-17. Shot him through the heart with a round ball from my CVA hawken. He ran a semicircle in the field we were by and somersaulted when he hit the woods. I knew where he laid dead but I followed his tracks to see how long it took to find blood. 50 yards or so before I saw flecks and then larger drops. It was sprayed where he tumbled into the trees. Learned from that and switched to Conicals then moved up to saboted pistol bullets. With an arrow I've shot them directly below me as well. Rifle probably closest was 30'. With a pistol I've stalked to within 12' of a bedded doe and popped her.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
About 10 yards out a tree stand with my muzzleloader.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I didn’t measure it. But it couldn’t have been more than 10-15 feet

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
8 feet. A nice 8 pt bedded under a tree. Let me walk right up to the tree. Shot him in his bed.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
15 feet

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
friend of mine in PENN was still hunting several years ago and a 4 point took off at his feet from a brush pile probably 5 feet in front of him. He shot from the hip and killed it. At first he thought he had gut shot it, but the bullet stuck the deer in the back of the neck. I believe he was using a 30-30 WIN

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Back in the 80's, I was hunting out of a strap on tree stand. It was only about six feet up the tree, I don't like heights. I was sitting. A buck walked directly under the stand. When the head and neck came out from under the stand, I pointed the rifle, like a handgun, down at base of the neck. The end of the barrel couldn't have been 4 feet from the deer. Just for the record, I had on a solid blaze orange coat and ball cap and gloves that were blaze on the top.
I've shot several at 10 or 15 feet when I was sitting on the ground.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 42 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,223
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.