Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 300_savage
In eastern MT, we bale from sunup till around 9 to take advantage of the dew. Some guys with good lights bale at night. Alfalfa will start shattering by 8 AM in dry weather, grass is more forgiving. With straw, bale all day.

Dang, that's wild. Around here you can't even think about baling until noon, one o'clock.

GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I recently replaced a 70s something JD 346 with a new JD 348. Both are good machines and the old one was still making pretty bales and hardly ever missing a tie. I had to go to twine machine since bailing wire has become too expensive to use.
I'll bet I've probably stacked more hay bales than lots of you have ever seen. That is ancient history. We use a Bale Baron bundler nowadays.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pancho1, till I was 12 we put up oat hay in bundles. Think I'm one of the youngest whose stacked bundles. Bound and shocked in July, all close to the stackyard. Brought the shocks in with an M with Johnson loader and 12 ft hay basket. I'd get off the school bus, grab my bundle fork, and Dad would bring them in to me. We put up quite a lot of loose grass hay in those days too.

Then we got a worn out NH 273 with the Wisconsin engine. Not good memories. Traded for an almost new JD 336 in 1981, and life got better. It was a reliable machine.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think something broke.

And no, I wasn't the operator. But I should have known better than to start talking chit and jinx the NH.

My dad's baler. It was acting weird last time we used it and I figured a bearing was going out and I was going to release tension on the belts and check the rollers before he used it again but I forgot and was sitting in the swather when it went to hell.

Upon further inspection I found two more rollers that have bearings starting to go. One of them is a royal bitch to replace so I guess I'll have to drag this thing 80 miles to the dealer for repairs.

#livingtheneverendingdream

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I sort off wish I had a picture of the Amish. dad, and boy putting up the loose hay.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I think something broke.

And no, I wasn't the operator. But I should have known better than to start talking chit and jinx the NH.

My dad's baler. It was acting weird last time we used it and I figured a bearing was going out and I was going to release tension on the belts and check the rollers before he used it again but I forgot and was sitting in the swather when it went to hell.

Upon further inspection I found two more rollers that have bearings starting to go. One of them is a royal bitch to replace so I guess I'll have to drag this thing 80 miles to the dealer for repairs.

Wow!

Maybe you "need" a beaverslide. (Cue the laugh machine....)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
JB, at least it was a nice cool and somewhat damp day.

That bad bearing did get a little hot before she blew!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think something broke.

lost attention roller and a br 750 and you got to take a few things apart and get it set just right to get the thing taken out.. not difficult after that the looks of your picture that may be the same roller. if it is you take the lower two rollers off the tailgate to get enough slack in the belts plus locking the belt holder thing to take the tension off and open the tailgate part way then you can get to that roller..

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not sure what they call this roller but it is a really easy one to access. Actually 2 of the 3 are easy but the third one is a bitch.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not sure what they call this roller but it is a really easy one to access. Actually 2 of the 3 are easy but the third one is a bitch.
yeah there's three rollers on the piece that pivots as the bale gets bigger . if you have to pull the whole assembly out of the baler hell yes redo all the bearings on them rollers. price of them bearings just went way up to since 2020 I know this..

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by ldholton
yeah there's three rollers on the piece that pivots as the bale gets bigger . if you have to pull the whole assembly out of the baler hell yes redo all the bearings on them rollers. price of them bearings just went way up to since 2020 I know this..
the roller that's plum out of the place laying there on your belts there's a good chance your ends are flared also and you'll have to have a new roller so the bearings will hold in place properly..

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh yeah, the roller twisted up in the belts is toast.

I'm sure it'll be a nice repair bill but beats the hell out of replacing the baler. Dealer has a few that are a year or two old for $50-60k. No thanks!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Oh yeah, the roller twisted up in the belts is toast.

I'm sure it'll be a nice repair bill but beats the hell out of replacing the baler. Dealer has a few that are a year or two old for $50-60k. No thanks!
I understand but this newer rb460 crop cutter is one hell of a baler.. I'm getting enough bales on it one of these days I'll have to make it my secondary baler and buy a new one , it's going to hurt

good luck with your repairs and maybe they'll be gentle on you...

Last edited by ldholton; 09/13/23.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
... If the budget is bigger, I would definitely go with a Heston/Ferguson/Case center line. They are all the same machine. Our local farmers usually run 3x4, or 4x4 square balers. But they also keep a small machine around to produce those 60 lb bales for sale to hobby horse farmers.

You want a 14"x16" bale chamber to make those small bales and still keep them dense and watertight. The centerline baler is much easier t o use in the field, as the tractor straddles the windrow. You seldom have to get off the tractor and move bales out of your path when using a center line.

[Linked Image from masseyferguson.com]

This ^^^^^ Is what the daughter and SIL bought for their square bales. Good, tight well formed bales. Seldom misses a knot. They bought a Vermeer for round bales that can do dry hay, or wet for haylage.

Last edited by Orion2000; 09/14/23.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was probably 12 when I started hiring out to do summer baling. The worst bails to pick up were the round bales that came out of an Allis Chalmers round baler. They all landed on the ground and had to be picked up from the ground. The technique was to walk up to the bale ahead of the tractor pulling the hay rack and snag the bale with a hay hook and pull it backward at least 3 or 4 feet. We live in snake country and if the bales were on the ground for any length of time, Mr. No Shoulders would move in under them.

The best job was grabbing square bales off the baler as they came down the shoot. Working in the barn was the worst job. It was always hot and dusty. My haying career came to a stop in the fall of 1969 when I went to work at a local tire shop that also sold New Holland farm equipment. In the winter we would assemble New Holland farm equipment when the tire business was slow. My boss sold a lot of New Holland balers and for the most part they were pretty dependable machines and most farmers got pretty good at taking care of them.

The best job was off loading balers and elevators off of flatbed rail cars at the local train depot. It was always cold (December, January and February) and it seemed like we never had enough glove to offset the cold soaked steel. We used an old M Farmall tractor with a loader to get the equipment off the flatbed cars. The loader cylinders leaked like crazy in those temperatures and it was a constant struggle to keep the bucket up while moving that equipment onto our truck flatbed while our hands were almost as cold as the steel.

That was some fun times.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well the mechanic went over the baler and along with the multiple bearings and a new roller he recommended a new set of belts. The belts were getting pretty worn.

Bill is gonna be $12-13k which is a lot considering the baler isn't worth a whole lot but we should have a bullet proof baler when it's done.

$12k versus $40-50k on trade for a new one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kwg - you are correct about crossing the River Styx to work in the mow. One day when I was up there, filling my nostrils, ears, eyes, and lungs with dust and chaff, contemplating death by heat exhaustion, I became aware of rather intense pain located in the vicinity of my left ankle. A nest of bumble bees (the fat, yellow and black, fuzzy frickers) had been sent up inside a bale. They were less than pleased by the relocation of their nest and decided to express this displeasure by covering my ankle and poking holes in it. They were so intent on what they were doing that we could kill them without them flying off to attack other parts of our anatomies. The advanced medical procedure of immersing my lower leg in the stock tank did little in the way of achieving anything other than washing away the dirt and grime. At this point, the pain was replaced by a numbness. The next morning saw me unable to stand on that leg. Silver lining? I didn't have to finish baling that cutting.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well the mechanic went over the baler and along with the multiple bearings and a new roller he recommended a new set of belts. The belts were getting pretty worn.

Bill is gonna be $12-13k which is a lot considering the baler isn't worth a whole lot but we should have a bullet proof baler when it's done.

$12k versus $40-50k on trade for a new one.

Fugging new hollands.....

I am MAGA.
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

474 members (19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,656
Posts18,533,887
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.