O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by renegade50
No Seals...
But have served with plenty of cats that went onto SF and Delta...

Question - would those running selection have been required to pass selection? I worked with a guy, Major who was a Ranger and he was the first guy I ever met to really harp on the difference between being "Ranger Qualified" and being in a battalion. Claimed to have been an officer that oversaw parts of selection. Always wondered about it.
Couple things, in the Army you don't instruct a course you haven't graduated. I went to Ranger school from the 82nd making me "Ranger qualified". Never served in Ranger regiment.
All Cadre in SFAS are Green Berets in good standing.

Last edited by OGB; 09/11/23.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
No Seals...

Question - would those running selection have been required to pass selection? I worked with a guy, Major who was a Ranger and he was the first guy I ever met to really harp on the difference between being "Ranger Qualified" and being in a battalion. Claimed to have been an officer that oversaw parts of selection. Always wondered about it.

Oh there is a world of difference between having the Ranger Tab (ranger qualified) and just having the Scroll ie being in Bn.

IIRC he was a Bn guy. Been a good 10 years since we talked, which reminds me - he has one of my old Magpul videos yet.

Me

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by dodgefan
No Seals...
There was probably 15 guys from the 101st alone in my commo class.
18E?
Yeah, I wanted 18C my MOS wish list was Charlie,Bravo,Echo and Delta although if I would of got Delta I would stayed in the regular Army.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Worked with seals all my life, mostly they are not as 79S described. Mostly they kept fluids in and dirt and moisture out.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
No Seals...

Oh there is a world of difference between having the Ranger Tab (ranger qualified) and just having the Scroll ie being in Bn.

IIRC he was a Bn guy. Been a good 10 years since we talked, which reminds me - he has one of my old Magpul videos yet.

I remember yrs and yrs ago my company cdr had a ranger tab and we told him guys from regiment said having the scroll was more important than the tab. He stopped smiling and said those ph uckers had no idea what they were talking about. I can say I known plenty of Army Rangers. One of my good friends grew up in regiment.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
No Seals...

Rene:

Career military.

Never met a SEAL.

RIO7:

Landlocked, desert rancher:

Knows 30 SEALS.

LOL

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Had a good friend that was a Seal, known 4 green berets, all Bad Ass's a different breed of men.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
No Seals...

I remember yrs and yrs ago my company cdr had a ranger tab and we told him guys from regiment said having the scroll was more important than the tab. He stopped smiling and said those ph uckers had no idea what they were talking about. I can say I known plenty of Army Rangers. One of my good friends grew up in regiment.

Well to be fair as an Infantry officer you're usually not going very far without a Ranger Tab. My understanding is that in Regiment once you reach a certain rank you are pretty much required to go to Ranger School anyhow.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hatari
oh, and let me add self confidence oozed from their pours. Same feeling I got on talking to Chuck Yeager. Their is pretend Alpha and the real deal.
STFU Mr. clot shot enforcer

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by saddlering
Had a good friend that was a Seal, known 4 green berets, all Bad Ass's a different breed of men.

I know one Green Beret. He is 80 something, about 5'6" buck 30 now, drunk a lot, great personality.

I know no one that wants to F with him.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by RIO7
I know about 30 active and retired Seals, they are good people with many and varied talents Most are good family men. Rio7

LOL

The OP asks thousands of people on this board if they have even known a SEAL in their lifetime....and you come up with THIRTY???

C'mon man, seriously?

He probably gives five of them free hunts each year.

And follows the Texas rule of “multiply by six”

LOL

'Flave - you're seriously underestimating the man.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My neighbor was a former seal. When I knew him he was working in counterterrorism with a three letter agency. First time I met him I asked what he’d done in the military, and he said he spent time on subs. I figured out later he was riding to work on them.

Old70

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by RIO7
I know about 30 active and retired Seals, they are good people with many and varied talents Most are good family men. Rio7

OK dude. Lol

Camp is where you make it.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
No Seals...

Can you find your own dick ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OGB
No Seals...
There was probably 15 guys from the 101st alone in my commo class.
18E?
Yeah, I wanted 18C my MOS wish list was Charlie,Bravo,Echo and Delta although if I would of got Delta I would stayed in the regular Army.
My wish list was: Charlie, Bravo, Delta, Charlie. Wrote a note off to side "if you're going to make me an Echo, I'll come back in 6 months when you need a Charlie!"
I had already been Cadre at Sapper school so it was an easy sell. Haha

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
No Seals...

Well to be fair as an Infantry officer you're usually not going very far without a Ranger Tab. My understanding is that in Regiment once you reach a certain rank you are pretty much required to go to Ranger School anyhow.

Ranger tab for enlisted infantrymen goes a long ways as well. Majority of CSM’s in the infantry world have the ranger tab. You want to see a sad infantrymen with a ranger tab? Send them to an Armor battalion.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
No Seals...

Can you find your own dick ?

Why are you looking for it?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
No Seals...

Ranger tab for enlisted infantrymen goes a long ways as well. Majority of CSM’s in the infantry world have the ranger tab. You want to see a sad infantrymen with a ranger tab? Send them to an Armor battalion.

My cousin's brother in law started with the tab and ended up as a Kiowa pilot. He always said it seemed to give him opportunities. He was a Ranger tho, not just qualified.

Me

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
No Seals...

Of course they would have had to been qualified with time and experience to be a instructor.
Whether it be in batt or line dog unit world.
I was just a line dog 11B and was not a tab wearer.
But also had plenty of Identifiers for me to stand up and instruct and not fake the funk.
Screwed me with alot of responsibilities at times others in same pay grade never got tasked with.
But also made alot of connections from it all also.
Don't regret a minute of it.
I never blended comfortably into the background.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My platoon in 3rd ACR had the only 2 enlisted 19Deltas with Ranger tabs I ever saw. I got a bullet point on my NCOER because they both worked for me when the went to Ranger School.

I would say the minority of the officers had a tab, maybe 25%.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (257 roberts, 260Remguy, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 257Bob, 52 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,595
Posts18,511,248
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.