Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I realized I never shared this story on 24hr…

Back in 2018, I bought a 1960 M70 30-06 FWT on gun broker from a guy in Pennsylvania. It arrived in good shape, and it sat in the gun safe for over a year before I shot it.

The accuracy was pretty good with factory ammo, but I’m a reloader - so shortly afterward I got around to prepping the once fired factory brass. Much to my surprise the shoulder was blown out almost 0.015” over the factory ammo.

I shortly came to realize that the serial number of the bolt did not match the gun, which resulted in excess headspace. Apparently in the later years of pre-64 Winchesters the machining tolerances were not as controlled in order to control costs. The final assembly was done where the factory worker had a bunch of bolts to chose from based on how the chamber was reamed - and would match things up to work.

I contacted the original seller, and he claimed to have no idea about the bolt. It was the only M70 he ever owned. He bought it in 2015, and then sold it to me 3 years later. I was hoping he just inadvertently swapped out bolts when he sold it. I know some guys that keep their bolts out of their guns locked away. So no luck there.

I bought the gun for less than $800, and didn’t want to spend $400+ remedying the situation - Only to have a red-headed step child. My only realistic option was to use 280 Rem cases (with a longer shoulder datum) and resize to 30-06 in order to stay away from shoulder separation issues. So it went back in the safe while I pondered what I wanted to do.

Here’s where things got crazy…

By total random chance I happened to be on eBay in 2020 and searched for a M70 pre-64 bolt. One popped up that just been posted 15 minutes before. I scrolled through the 5 pictures posted and when I got to the last one, it had a picture with the serial number of my gun engraved on it. I almost fell out of my chair. No f-ing way.

I immediately hit purchase now, even though he was asking $425. It was fate, and these had to be re-united!

I then sent the seller a PM, explaining that the bolt he was selling was to “my” gun. He responded and was amazed. I asked him why he was selling, and he said he was parting out his M70 because he couldn’t close the bolt on factory ammo. Yep, it was because his headspace was too short. He figured he’d sell the bolt first, then the stock, and then the barreled action.

He then asked me what the S/N on the bolt I had was. You guessed it. I had his bolt.

He bought his M70 at a gun show in 2015, in Pennsylvania approx 50 miles from where the original guy that sold me my gun lived. I can only speculate that someone owned both guns, the bolts got swapped unknowingly, and both guns got sold.

To sort things out, I suggested to the eBay seller that after I received my bolt from him, I would then sent his bolt back in the same box and ask for an eBay refund - because the “product didn’t fit”. Each would essentially be responsible for one another’s shipping. I would get an eBay refund and he wouldn’t have to pay the listing commission. We’d both have 100% correct guns for less than $30 each for shipping.

You just can’t make this stuff up. What are the odds? Certainly a happy ending.

The gun now wears a 2.5-8X Balvar scope in B&L external adjustable mounts. It shoots 150gr Sierra bullets with 52gr IMR-4064 into sub 3/4” MOA groups all day long. A classic in every sense.

Last edited by Stammster; 09/12/23.
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Incredible coincidence. Mostly a good ending. But consciously stiffing Ebay out of a small commission? That kind of cheapens the story. And why would it cost $30 to ship a bolt? Flat rate boxes are $11; or a bit more with added insurance.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
eBay has screwed me over plenty of times, so IMO we’re even. Plus in the end, he never really sold it to me. We traded.

It may have been $20 with insurance, who knows. It was 3 years ago. I can’t remember that I had for breakfast yesterday.

Shhhhh…don’t tell Uncle Sam I screwed him out of his potential sales tax also.

Last edited by Stammster; 09/12/23.
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Character. Pass it on.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
What an incredible story!!

Glad it worked out for both of you!

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's nice that the bolts are reunited with the correct rifles. Screwing over ebay? Well, I don't encourage screwing over anyone, but ebay will screw you any chance it gets. Not condoning it, but can relate for sure..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow. Amazing to be reunited.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a cool story! And screw ebay. They certainly did me

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
AMAZING story wow.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's awesome. Glad you got the right bolt back!

Semper Fi
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Awesome story !
Thanks for sharing.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by WMR
Incredible coincidence. Mostly a good ending. But consciously stiffing Ebay out of a small commission? That kind of cheapens the story. And why would it cost $30 to ship a bolt? Flat rate boxes are $11; or a bit more with added insurance.
Get back in your douche canoe and paddle right on out of here !

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thats an amazing story!

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Stammster: That is incredible - great for you and for the other Model 70 owner.
Buy lotto!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome story. and I believe in screwing Ebay at every opportunity, Anti gun bunch of libtard leftist. I sell a lot of gun parts on Ebay and they make plenty of money on every end of the sale, including taking part of my shipping fees so I loose money on shipping on every item.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are great thing, that’s one in a billion. Glad it worked out for you guys.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
talk about luck, I would say you better enjoy that gun a bunch and never sell it.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Where's Einstein when you need him to calculate the odds??? smile

My turn! My turn! Two like model Commercial Oberndorf Model "M" rifles. Bought about dozen years and locales about thousand miles apart. Both made by Oberndorf Mauser in late 1913! Consecutive serial numbers!
Believe the crossed bolts exceeds my odds, but both great "happy endings" & mine, half century later, still 'together', as to remain... Under my watch!

Thanks for a happy face story in this sad face World!

Best!
John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WOW UNREAL!

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Crazy!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,547 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,673
Posts18,474,805
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.