Hop To
A
Akbob5 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Hello all,

I drew a UT buck antelope tag for West Desert/Rush Valley for 16-24 Sept. F&G estimates a herd of ~ 300 animals. We spent a hard two day scouting and only seen about 20-25 antelope and three decent buck of which one might be a shooter and one was on private. Granted it was a quick trip, but there’s about 275 goats that we didn’t see (if that many exist!).

I plan on hunting five days starting on the 16th. I live about 4-5 hours away so I may make a second trip if the first one is not fruitful.

If you have any knowledge of this area can I ask you to shoot me a PM please?

Many thanks in advance!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's been a long time since I worked in that country. Back then I saw more pronghorn near the base of the Stansberry and Onaqui moutain ranges. Especially anyplace where a fire or the BLM had removed the junipers. If that doesn't turn up what your looking for, I'd suggest looking on the south end of the Tintics and out towards Little Sahara.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try and get a hold of someone at the Bateman dairy farm on the west side of Utah lake. If not hunt the blm ground around it. There are some toads around there. If that don't pan out go over soldier pass and south of the old Allen ranch south of Fairfield.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
PS wish you would have posted this sooner, I could have done a little recon for You.

A
Akbob5 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks for the info gents! I talked to the local F&G fella and he gave me a pretty good overview. He also said it’s been a very wet year and wet August so that has them scattered pretty well - that helped me understand why we didn’t see any real numbers together.

crittrgittr - as per usual I’m a bit behind the power curve. Actually have had some medical issues and I almost surrendered my tag.

Again, really appreciate the tips!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
rjf Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Try and get a hold of someone at the Bateman dairy farm on the west side of Utah lake. If not hunt the blm ground around it. There are some toads around there. If that don't pan out go over soldier pass and south of the old Allen ranch south of Fairfield.

This👆 Also the pony express road that cuts from Utah to Tooele County, I've seen decent ones there. Just take the dirt roads going north and south of the main road and they'll be out on the flats. This should also get you away from most everybody as well. Might see a few over my Vernon as well.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Used to see some great bucks south of 5-Mile Pass along the old railroad grade. Also south of Faust between there and Vernon. All kind of in the same general vicinity of previous posts. Been years since I've hunted out there though.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Hello all,

I drew a UT buck antelope tag for West Desert/Rush Valley for 16-24 Sept. F&G estimates a herd of ~ 300 animals. We spent a hard two day scouting and only seen about 20-25 antelope and three decent buck of which one might be a shooter and one was on private. Granted it was a quick trip, but there’s about 275 goats that we didn’t see (if that many exist!).

I plan on hunting five days starting on the 16th. I live about 4-5 hours away so I may make a second trip if the first one is not fruitful.

If you have any knowledge of this area can I ask you to shoot me a PM please?

Many thanks in advance!

Bob
Crap- I don't Know how I missed this post earlier, I live in Rush Valley, and would have been glad to give you any advice I could- sorry for the late post. How did you do on the hunt??

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Where's the pictures?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yeh, where's the pics

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,610
Posts18,473,829
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.