Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a SS Winchester 70 Classic 30-06 with some modifications that I consider the perfect all-around rifle. Someone had worked on the trigger before I bought it and it is a crisp 3 lb pull. It is in a McMillan Edge stock and I replaced the 2 piece steel bottom metal with aluminum from PTG. It has a 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest in Talley lightweights on it. It shoots MOA or better for 3 shots and weighs under 7 1/2 lbs scoped.

I've been hunting for over 50 years and have had more iron sights fail than scopes. And the only scopes I've seen fail were cheap budget scopes. I've never seen a quality scope fail. I stopped worrying about back up irons years ago.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Both of my .30-06 rifles are Winchester M70's. one a pre-64, the second a 1968 vintage in a Mannlicher stock - factory, from Winchester. The 1968 is a shorter rifle, easy to carry, and surprisingly (to me) accurate.

Mike Holmes

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My great grand uncle's 3-digit Winchester 70 with both a Lyman peep and an Alaskan 2.5 post-&-crosshair scope in a take-off G&H sidemount.
I've killed my biggest elk with it in the Montana mountains, and carried it for Brooks Range caribou in the harshest weather I've ever seen. Doesn't matter the weather, just wipe it with a light oiled cloth every night and stow it by the fire. It has been killing game since '37.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I already have one.a Winchester 70 classic stainless. However I believe Id go with either a husqvarna FN 98 or a military Mauser again made by FN in 3006, for several of the smaller European countries after ww ll . My old friends are nearly all deceased being 25 years older than me,but one who was there and a gunsmith, I asked this exact question to his response was if it had to be a 3006 take a Mauser as the Springfield had a habit of breaking firing pins. If it didn't have to be a 3006, take a lee enfield , a better battle rifle and more robust in rough hunting country. In spite of his comments I like my winchester pretty well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kimber Montana, just about the perfect carry anywhere do anything rifle(once you figure out how to shoot the lightweight little mule kicker)

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've been hunting for over 50 years and have had more iron sights fail than scopes. And the only scopes I've seen fail were cheap budget scopes. I've never seen a quality scope fail. I stopped worrying about back up irons years ago.

These days, I think a reasonable alternative backup for someone going off into the wild would be a lightweight reflex red dot like a Fastfire. They weigh next to nothing and can be kept stashed away safely until needed. Remove the defective scope, mount the pre-zeroed reflex, and soldier on. As you said, irons are vulnerable to field damage, and some of the new ones, especially fiber optic ones, are pretty fragile.

My backup sights these days are on one of the other rifles waiting for me at home, about 20 minutes away, if I feel like making the round trip. Most days, I’d just come back the next day……

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
... As you said, irons are vulnerable to field damage, and some of the new ones, especially fiber optic ones, are pretty fragile.

I set up a couple of 10/22's with a rail that had a peep and replaced the front sight with a slightly taller fiber optic. Worked well and I enjoyed shooting them off hand in that config. Kept a scope mounted on one and the other without. Within a year, both of the front sights were broken just from range use and in/out of safe, neither were hunted. Kept the 6x SWFA on one and put a SWFA 1-4 on the one that didn't have a scope...it's a better mouse trap.

I have a 35 Rem 336 with a more substantial XS white stripe front site that's held up well. It's much more solid than the thin fiber optic sights I've used.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DrDeath
If you could only have a 30/06 rifle and needed it to function under the most harsh extreme and rough conditions, what 30/06 rifle would you choose? Iron sights preferred.

Mine is a stainless M700 SPS bedded into a Brown Precision topped with a VX3 3.5-10.

I'll take a spare scope in weavers instead of back-up sights.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a good old classic FN Browning Safari 30-06 born in 1963 that i should take out shooting. It will fit the bill.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have a SS Ruger Hawkeye All-Weather that is about a rugged as they come. I’d also prefer a backup scope over Irons. If I couldn’t have that, then my Tikka T3 Lite SS would probably suffice.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Browning High Power Safari

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duke61
Pre 64 Win 70 Featherweight

Nah, get the standard weight. The featherweights had accuracy problems inherent with the design.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have my three digit circa 1936 Mdl 70 '06 and love the gun, except for the weight, and the later pre-64 FWs were notoriously inaccurate.

My go-to 30-06 is a commercial FN 98 actioned with a LW barrel and a Pound'r stock. I wish it had irons, but I have a second scope sighted in for it in Weaver mounts, very repeatable and light weight. It has a 3-position safety and Timney trigger.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have a SS Winchester 70 Classic 30-06 with some modifications that I consider the perfect all-around rifle. Someone had worked on the trigger before I bought it and it is a crisp 3 lb pull. It is in a McMillan Edge stock and I replaced the 2 piece steel bottom metal with aluminum from PTG. It has a 3-9X40 Zeiss Conquest in Talley lightweights on it. It shoots MOA or better for 3 shots and weighs under 7 1/2 lbs scoped.

I've been hunting for 46 years, more of it with iron sighted rifles than 99% of the hunters alive today and never broke one. I don't know WTF some guys do with their rifles but I'm not a walk 100 yards and plop my ass in a stand type hunter and have followed coon hounds and tracked deer up and down mountains, through swamps etc. for hundreds if not thousands of miles with iron sighted rifles. One thing irons have going for them vs a scope is that you can tell by looking at them if they're broken or bent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I've been hunting for 46 years, more of it with iron sighted rifles than 99% of the hunters alive today and never broke one. I don't know WTF some guys do with their rifles but I'm not a walk 100 yards and plop my ass in a stand type hunter and have followed coon hounds and tracked deer up and down mountains, through swamps etc. for hundreds if not thousands of miles with iron sighted rifles. One thing irons have going for them vs a scope is that you can tell by looking at them if they're broken or bent.
Some people could f.uc.k up an anvil in a sandbox.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Something worth considering about backup iron sights....not all of the current production stocks lend themselves well to using barrel mounted sights. A person's build and facial structure play into it, but most current production stocks are designed for use with a scope. A taller base mounted ghost ring/peep and taller front sight may work, but low, barrel mounted sights may run into problems with current stocks.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Why would you put a mod 70 or mauser in a synthetic stock??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Why would you put a mod 70 or mauser in a synthetic stock??

The usual reasons.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Remington 700 SS that I bought new in 1993. It’s been a great rifle that I have killed a pile of deer with, including my first mule deer high up on a mountain ahead of a snow storm in Wyoming. Good memories.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Agreed. I've probably always been 50/50 scope and irons and I never remember irons failing me. I have had some scopes puke on me

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 11 invisible), 1,384 guests, and 790 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,496
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.