Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a "European foot," I'm told (wider forefoot, narrower heel), which means Euro boots fit me better than most American brands. I did have Danner make me a Mountain Hiker (IIRC) some 30 years ago with a D-width forefoot and a B- or C-width heel. They fit fine, but I can't use the standard Danner - the heel's too wide and slips. (Danner stopped that service some time ago.) Fabiano Scarpa worked well for me but were heavy.

One low-cost alternative might be military boots, like the Corcoran jump boots. They're uninsulated, un-GoreTex and breathe very well, have no padding to hold and hide seeds, and are built on the "Quartermaster last" (I think), made to fit millions of feet. (They generally fit the shape of my foot pretty well, but tend to run a little large for your normal size, should you try to order them instead of trying them on.) Also, that broad toecap has more use than holding spit polish, too - it should resist thorns pretty well. (That's just a guess, though)

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a pair of Russell PH IIs that I bought back around 1996, and they're still going strong. I recently ordered a pair of the MBOGO PH boots. I find that Russell's are well made, and they stand behind their product.

May the best days of your past be the worst days of your future.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I currently own four pair of Russells, a pair of low cut Mohiecan Stalkers I am wearing as I write this. My Dad just gave me the Russell Birdshooters he bought new in 1952, been re-soled twice, I just wore them pheasant hunting in Eastern Montana a few weeks ago, and they were perfect.

If your feet are hard to fit, spending money on custom made boots that will last two lifetimes seems to me, to be a good investment. If you can use off the shelf boots check out Russell's website for slightly used return boots. I have gotten two killer deals there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have 6 pairs and wear them daily. From teh south 40 bird hunters, to the knockabout boot and traveling sportsman.
I cannot speak highly enough of them.

Michael

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by BrentD
You know, I never had grass seed issues in Namibia either. I expected them but nope. Never happened.

Another good boot that lots of folks in Namibia like is a sealskin boot made there. They are light, and they have a velcro closure on the top that would keep out the pesky seeds if you get into them. A friend of mine bought a pair and brought them home for his favorite pheasant and deer hunting boots now.

Brent

Intriguing! I wonder where I can find those sealskin boots over there?

Also, I keep hearing about Courtneys - can you only get them in Zim and RSA, or do think they'd be available in Namibia as well?

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I almost always hunt Africa in tennis shoes. If it's really hilly or rocky, I switch to high-tops. I usually buy the Nike ACGs, which are available in more neutral colors. They are light, quiet, and comfortable, and there are few areas where you really need the support a stiff boot gibes you. But once, two seasons ago, my Meindls saved me.

I was hunting in my Meindls to break them in for sheep season. I was bitten by a puff adder while tracking a friend's wounded impala, but I was stepping on half of it so it couldn't bite higher than my ankle - the stiff boot stopped the fangs. Even so, I prefer a lighter shoe for African use, as I have only seen a handful of poisonous snakes in the nearly 400 days I've spent hunting all over Africa.

Greg Rodriguez
Global Adventure Outfitters, Inc.
www.mbogo.net
(281) 494-4151
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Well, my New Balance 748BRs came in two days ago - they look nice, feel pretty good so far, and are very quiet - nice tread pattern for hiking, lightweight. I got them on sale and got them in 12EE, which seems to be fitting pretty well. Will get in some Rimrocks from Cabelas next week and some Irish Setter Chukkas as well. Between those three I think I may be set, and at less than $200 for all three pair, too! It will be nice not having to bring my Vasques (too heavy, tight fit, and really more designed for mountain hiking).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I guess theres an exception to everything. I ordered a pair of PH's in 2002 & never found them comfortable. Probable should have returned them but threw them in my junk box.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm with JJ..I wear Roper Kiltie Horseshoes, by Roper, a high top tennis shoe of leather with a heel, they are water proof, feel like a buckskin glove on your feet. $89.00 a pair and they will last forever it seems. I get them form NRSworld.com, stock number 20-350-501. I have been wearing them for years for all my African hunts, and most other hunts also..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
Looks as if this is a lone opinion, however, I've owned two pairs of Russells and threw both pairs in the trash when they prematurely gave up the ghost. They struck me as the most expensive cheap shoes I've ever owned. All in all I prefer Meindl Boots. They have a cork footbed roughly similar to Birkenstocks(which I am tremendously partial to). Personally respecting many of the folks above who give glowing reviews of them leads me to think I am either hard on footware or experienced a highly unusual sample of two. Only slightly more credible than it's reviled cousin the sample of one...

With that said I'd still recommend the Meindl Perfekt. I own three pairs and cycle them out so they have a couple of days to dry between wearings. The absolute best boot/shoe I have ever owned...fwiw & imho

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

NRA Life Benefactor Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
John,
I'm not sure I can tell you any place specifically but they seemed to be sold in most good sporting good stores in Swakamund and Windhoek.

It used to be that you could by them direct from the factory I believe, but that was before my time.

I don't know anything about Courtneys.
Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 60 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.