Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Jericho
People shot grizzlies with muzzle loaders over a century ago..........

They shot them with muzzleloaders over 200 years ago. Lewis and Clark's military exploration of the West from 1804-1806 involved a number of grizzlies shot with .50 caliber muzzleloaders. You can find plenty of information on how well that worked just by Googling, of you don't have a copy of their journals.

It's a good read. smile

Lewis & Clark Meet the Grizzly

GB1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A 243 wouldn't be my first choice but if you want to pay for the hunt and let me work up a good handload with Barnes TTSX bullets I'll do the trigger work. I'm betting a 100 gr TTSX put in the right place will turn any grizzly alive into a pile of meat and a rug on the wall.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I was alone and saw a large Grizzly on a heavily brushed ridge across a flooded creek about 100 yards wide, normally about 10 yards wide and easy to get across. I had a 257 Ackley and was trying to figure out if it was do-able remember thinking I was glad the creek was so high as I would have gone for it. Heavy brush and no back up would not do it if had the opportunity again. Open country and back up no issues. Dont like trailing wounded Grizzly in heavy brush, not any more it gets exciting. Prefer my 35 Whelen.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I wouldn't be scared to put a 100gr Power Point in a Grizz's ribs.

Few people here have shot a grizzly at all and fewer with a 243. I killed one with a 25-35, 7 foot bear with a skull that measured 22 5/16”.

As a kid, that’s all I had, but I will tell you I wouldn’t hunt a grizzly with a 243. It’s easy to speculate and easier to be bear poop.

These guys won’t give up easily and a 243 really is not a good choice…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You should be, from my experience

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My daughter has taken a moose and caribou with the .243. Her cousin shot a moose with it as well, and I've knocked down a couple of wolves and a few caribou with it too. I love that caliber, but for larger bull moose and grizzly/brown bears, I'd be reluctant to take it. You can get some good use with that caliber in Alaska.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Often when I was stationed in Kodiak, I'd go afield hunting for Blacktails armed with nothing but a 243. It'd be stoked with 100 grain Partitions. I had confidence that they'd discourage a bear if needed. Glad I never had to find out.

An uncle grew up in Alaska and was on Kodiak before Alaska was a state and one year went deer hunting in late November when the bears should’ve been denned up for the winter. He was carrying his 25-06 and his friend Niles was (thankfully) carrying the big gun…a .270Win. Long story short but Rick got 3 from his 25-06 and Niles got 1 .270 into the bear before Rick started running and shooting…running and reloading thru the thick alders. Luckily Niles’ shot hit the bear in the lower spine and paralyzed its hind legs which it was dragging behind itself faster than Rick could run. Every time the bear got hung up on a tree Rick said it snapped it off with its teeth…2-4” alders snapping like pencils as Rick turned to fire. Finally Rick said F&$# it and with his last 25-06 round he stood his ground and put it between the bears eyes. The bear literally fell at his feet.

The skull still sits proudly front and center in the entryway of his house with a nice clean 25 caliber hole almost dead center between the eyes.

Rick said that after that he started carrying his 30-06 for deer on Kodiak irregardless of the time of year.

...did Rick ever trip over his enormous balls...? Lol

Lolol….he sure could. He’s done so much in his life but when he was a kid of 14 he took his 14 foot skiff from Shilshole in Seattle to Ketchikan. He made that run several times before he was 17. He literally grew up on the fishing boats in Alaska. My father in law told me how he was in charge of watching him onboard when Rick was only 3 or 4. The 2 of them made great money and kept a room in Fairbanks above one of the “saloons” where they’d stay for awhile and “blow off some steam”.

I’d loved to have been apart of their group back then.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’d feel far better equipped with a 243 and good bullets than I would with a bow.

I know several people who have killed one with a bow and a few more who’ve done it with a handgun, used a rifle on the ones I killed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Only a stunt shooter fool would go after a grizzly with a .243 !

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would do it if that was the only weapon I had. Bullet choice would have to be an expanding mono metal. WTS the one and only time I been around where I knew there was a grizzly bear close was in AK, a stream filled with salmon and a fresh, like really fresh tracks in a small sandbar. Those tracks looked to be the size of a dinner plate. Made the hair on my neck stand up shocked my 325WSM Montana felt like a Daisy Red Rider in my hands.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having just seen my first real live griz last week in Glacier, I'd consider myself an expert, by Campfire standards. Under the same circumstances that I was in, I'd certainly hunt a griz with a. 243 and a good bullet. (BTW, I was watching from the window of the truck!)

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never shot a grizzly bear, hell the only one's I've ever seen were in zoos. I really have no reason to stick my nose in here except to comment that this thread is highly reminiscent of cartridge debates over lunch in my high school cafeteria 54 years ago. Very entertaining!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've read enough on page 1 to convince me that there ARE crazy people in this world - ANd in the woods! I wouldn't want them in MY woods or anywheres near me - and I don't care WHO they are or the reputation THEY claim to have for themselves!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CZ550
I've read enough on page 1 to convince me that there ARE crazy people in this world - ANd in the woods! I wouldn't want them in MY woods or anywheres near me - and I don't care WHO they are or the reputation THEY claim to have for themselves!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
I guess that settles it then…

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’d feel far better equipped with a 243 and good bullets than I would with a bow.
Pretty much sums it up for me when people talk about X cartridge for whatever game.

Match the bullet to the game and a rifle is every bit as effective as a stick with a few razor blades on the end. Yes, I am a bowhunter.

I know they both work in a slightly different way and but are deadly SOBs when the shot is on.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My quote: "I wouldn't want them in MY woods or anywheres near me" - the interior grizz that was claimed to "fall" to a 95 grain Partition was NOT in my woods but in open tundra where a precise shot could be made... from what range, how much time and where hit was NOT given! A 45-70 in a close encounter where I hunt is a far better choice! They're not grizz, but potentially as big, strong and as fast! And they kill moose, just like grizz!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Atta boy, Dober! If I could get my hands on a free grizz tag, I'd be in the truck with the .243 and 80TTSX or 85TSX faster than you can say "crazy" grin
That's the Spirit!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Next time you see a pile of horse manure from a Clydesdale, think of pile from a bear. That will give you an idea of grizzly bears.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know a guy who deliberately took a .260 Remington to Alaska to hunt grizzly, and got a big boar with one chest shot. Can't remember the bullet, but know it wasn't a monolithic, and might even have been some sort of target bullet. But he's a professional hunter and very fine shot.

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned that Bella Twin, a Canadian woman, shot what was then the B&C record grizzly in 1953 with a .22 rimfire rifle, and she used .22 Longs, not even Long Rifles.

Twenty years ago I hunted musk ox with an Inuit guide in the Northwest Territories named David Ameganik, and he regularly killed polar bears with a .22 rimfire--though he stepped it up a notch and used a .22 Magnum (which he pronounced mag-a-num). He would sneak up within 50 yards amid jumbled ice-pack, and shoot them behind the shoulder once. He said after 10-15 minutes they'd "go to sleep." He didn't want to shoot them with his "big" rifle, a .30-30 Winchester Model 94, because the holes it made were too big, which lowered the value of the pelts.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1moredeer, 160user, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,808
Posts18,516,368
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.