Print Thread
Hop To
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm not very familiar, but have decided I want a Martini .22. At my age it will probably be my last acquisition, don't have time to wait out a project rifle, so needs to be GTG with proven accuracy. I will use it for bench shooting with a modern scope, so don't need or want a bunch of accessories for position shooting. Also, I'm left handed, so at least needs to be stocked for or compatible with shooting from that side. OK if it just needs a different stock.

Any suggestions for sources, etc., would be appreciated. Not interested in anything other than a Martini.

PMs welcome too.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gun Broker has a BSA Martini International left hand with a Lyman 20X scope.
A 12/15 model has a butt stock with a cheekpiece but no roll-over comb so usable for a lefty but the various MKs of Internationals have receivers designed for easier loading when scoped.

For your needs I think a right-handed MK whatever with a left-hand stock would be ideal... being able to see the chamber with minimal head movement while working the lever with your left-hand while feeding a round with your right would be great.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good info. Thanks. What's a MK?

I'm not hung up on a true lefty. In some cases a right hand action actually works better. Stock is the main thing.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
MK = MkI, II, or III. BSA Internationals were built in that order. MkI's came out in 1950 and as they progressed small changes were made so the designation changed to MkII. Essentially the only difference is how/where the trigger adjusting screws were located. The MkIII is rather a different animal with a lengthened receiver. All were offered with standard weight and heavyweight barrels. The heavyweights are a beast, my MkI weighs about 14 pounds with scope. I think the heavy ones are better bench guns, but that's me.

All models are exceptionally scary accurate, serious competitors against bolt guns.

Shooting a RH stocked one might be a little awkward for a lefty. I just now got mine out to try that way and the cheekpiece rolls over to the right side and sticks out rather sharply making it problematic to get my eye behind the scope. But, I can see where a couple minutes with a rasp can cure that. Or get a LH stock somewhere.

I like teamprairiedog's observation about having the RH loading port on the same side as the shooter's face. I never thought of it that way and it does make sense.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks again, gents. I'm thinking a right hand action is the way to go, and simplifies things. I believe left hand butt stocks are fairly common.

I'm not a serious bench shooter, but I've shot both left and right side bolt actions, and the off side has certain ergonomic advantages. Custom actions with left or right bolts and opposite or even dual loading and ejection ports are available.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I seem to recall a couple being recently posted for sale on rimfirecentral classifieds, it may be worth doing a search there

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have an account there, but haven't been active in some time. Can't access classifieds. Apparently there is some rule or process, but it isn't upfront or clear. ???

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I did a search on RFC using Martini and it brought this up - hopefully there is some info there that may be useful to you

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/search/460978/?q=martini&o=relevance

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Paul39
I have an account there, but haven't been active in some time. Can't access classifieds. Apparently there is some rule or process, but it isn't upfront or clear. ???

You have to be logged in on RFC to see the classified section. If you are not logged on, it will not be in the list.

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's more complicated than that. Logged in, still can't access classifieds. Some sort of eligibility rule?

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The International MK I, II, III, IV are the Olympic level target rifles. They are heavy as Gnoahhh has said. The model 12, 12/15, 13, and 15 are lighter, and more of a sporting rifle. They can be accurate, but odds are the International will be better. Any of them without the peep sites can be had cheaper, but correct sights are hard to come by and expensive. The 12, 12/15, 13, 15 models are not setup for scopes without modifications. The International's are setup for a scope but may need a modern rail for modern style scopes. I have a MK III with the correct Parker Hale peeps and a Lyman 20X Super Targetspot scope that I am not really shooting now, but it would not be cheap, as it is a first-year rifle in excellent shape.

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Interesting. I have a Lyman 20X, but my eyes really need the better optics of a modern scope these days. I will be putting the Lyman up for sale.

I understand why you would want a good price for your rifle, but I have no idea of the price range of these rifles.
If you'd like to discuss, you could shoot me a PM. No commitment either way.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Prices vary, The Internationals have been running about $500 for a beater with no sights up to $1200 or so for a good one with sights. A beater would have a modified stock, a cut barrel or perhaps a relined barrel and poor bluing. In general the MK III with the floating barrel is considered the most accurate. It also can have issues if the aluminum support for the forearm is bent.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Respectfully, you're in the wrong place if you want information on BSA Martinis.

I believe RimfireCentral may have a minimum number of posts (30?) to participate in classifieds.

Since you are already a member there and able to log in, I suggest you read their rules or ask (there) to see why you're having difficulty there.

My favorite is the Light Pattern, still a beast but a good bit lighter than the Heavy Pattern.

Left hand butt stocks are available new in the aftermarket and I believe they are reasonably priced; again a search on RFC will have information.

As a lefty, by far I prefer loading and the unobstructed view of the port with a RH action with LH buttstock...otherwise with a LH/LH configuration you're on the wrong side of the gun as there is a wall between you and the port...Tom

MKII Light Pattern:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by thomasconnor; 09/17/23.
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks, all, for the great info. Very educational.

Thomas, my family roots go back to Harrisburg. Benion family. My great uncle Sidney Benion was a gunsmith and trapshooter of some renown.

Added: Beautiful MK II lefty. I'm envious.

Last edited by Paul39; 09/17/23.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I snagged my MkI in a little Mom&Pop Pennsylvania gunshop 2 1/2 years ago. I swear it was in unfired condition it was that nice (but of course that's a fallacy). I figured $900 was an average/fair price so I bought it. Removed the Parker-Hale sights and installed a Supertargetspot 20x and consider it to be the last accurate .22 bench gun I'll ever buy (aside from an ongoing project in creating a Ballard .22 offhand rifle).

I've owned a few pre-war BSA Martini .22's, and have a pristine Model 12 now, and will say that there's much inherent accuracy in them. Nothing magical happened with BSA's barrel making technology in the post-war period, rather the secret lies in the later rifles mass, stock design, faster lock time, and much better triggers. There are days when my M12 steps outside of the shade of my International and reminds me of its presence. Frankly, if I didn't compete in ASSRA rimfire benchrest events I would've probably been fat dumb and happy to tinker/experiment with the Model 12 (and Low Wall & Ballards) for the rest of my life.

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
You guys just keep whetting my appetite (and envy)!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As for which side of the gun the loading port is on in relation to the shooter, yes as I said earlier the positioning of it on the same side would be a benefit. But, after firing a couple thousand rounds I find myself unconsciously reloading by feel and not caring that I can't actually see in there from where I sit behind the gun- the ergonomics of the International are that good. It did take me a while at first to learn to reach my left hand over to the RH side of the gun to deflect empties as I depress the lever with my right hand. Picking empties off the bench and not the floor is more efficient, and spares me the ire of neighboring shooters. That gun's ejector throws empties about eight feet! (Did they make a deflector? Can the ejector be toned down? Never thought to look!)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you haven't found this site already, rifleman.org.uk has a compete history and explanations on all of the BSA Martini models.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I picked this MK11 up a bit ago because I also just felt incomplete without wading into that pool…

I have not had a chance to shoot it yet and have plans for a proper Lyman STS scope when the right one pops up

Not the greatest pic but here she is…
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (257 roberts, 257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 48 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.