-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm also interested in any experiences anyone has with the Lapua 9.3mm 285g Mega. I have a bunch of both loaded factory ammo and a couple hundred bullets I got almost for free. Early in the project I found a penetration/expansion test of them on YouTube, and don't recall being particularly impressed, but now I can't find the video link any more.
Just realized I emailed to a buddy of mine so maybe I can find it in my sent items. I'll link it up here if I can.

Cheers,
Rex

EDIT - found it, and I had misremembered, it's a test of the .308 Mega. Here it is anyway.
.308 Mega test

Last edited by TRexF16; 04/19/20.
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What's the latest and greatest?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
So far the PRVI 286gr 9.3mm bullet is the only bullet I've purchased for my 9.3x57mm Husky Swedish mauser. It's accurate and regulates well with my iron sights. My 46A is not tapped for scope sights. At 2020fps they land slightly high on the target at 100 yds. In Iowa it's 35 cal and up so hopefully this year it'll go hunting with me.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Huh. Blast from the past so to speak.

Put down a Cape Buffalo recently using 300 grain A-Frames in front of RL-15. 9.3x62mm. MV just barely over 2,300 fps.

As soon as the rifle gets back from the gunsmith I have the same load ready to test but using Big Game and RL-17.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You think there's an advantage to the 300s over the 286s?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For the largest critters on the dark continent, yes I'd want a 300gr projectile. The 9.3x62mm Mauser is the poor man's big bore over yonder. For my irons I'm stuck with 286gr weight, or maybe 270 if necessary. The 232gr loads are lost on me being without height adjustment. The load must match the sights and the previous owner told me he believed the only load these sights work with is 286gr.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
You think there's an advantage to the 300s over the 286s?

I'm still trying to decide if there's an advantage to the Norma 325's over the 300's.

A data point of 1 is most certainly not a trend, therefore I've volunteered to shoot several more to sort out the question.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Very interesting stuff.

I'm at the opening stages of my 9.3X62 project having had my M70 modified by JES. It has been set aside and this may help to re-ignite the project.

Encouraging to see the PRVI do well as I have several boxes (factory loaded). Discouraging to see the Hornady results as they are so readily available.

Thanks for sharing the data and to all, carry on, I'm learning.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yea, I just so happened to ping Hornady the other day asking why do they offer a 300 grain DGS, but no DG-X Bonded in either 286 grain or 300 grain?

This time their response was a tad bit more reasonable than last time as they simply said they're always looking at the market to see what makes sense to offer.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Having owned my Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62 since 2011 - all handloads: I killed a crippled bear by my young friend who wounded it in two legs, a front left and rear right. I caught up enough in tall grass to finish it going away with a shot to right flank that made exit just back of the head after taking out 6 - 8 inches of spine. Bullet off into the surrounding trees. No fragments in exit wound or channel. MV 2400 fps. Bullet: Hornady 286 SPRP.

Next animal another bear (larger) at 6' nose to tail. Over bait at 68 yds. Facing me in tall grass (same private property). I was in my tree stand. Same Tikka rifle: Load: 286 Partition at 2622 fps from 70 grs RL-17. Hit bear frontally at ~ 2500 fps as it faced me. Bear dropped in grass out of sight close to bait barrel. Couldn't see it. Got out of stand, walked to where bear dropped - no bear! A search found it at the bottom of a close by escarpment. Bear went a total of 20 yds to top of escarpment and tumbled to bottom. A partner 3 km away at another site heard my shot and gave me a hand to field dress it and get it upout of there where we hung it for the night at the back side of the tree my stand was in. Next morning we skinned it and the Nosler 286 was just under the fur and part way through the hide in the right flank. I thought it was a piece of bone until it fell to the ground. It was travelling backwards according to a couple of "wings" that were pointing forwaRD - IT HAD TUMBLED! Bullet retained 211 grs/74%. Penetration est = +30 inches.

Last bear shot with the same rifle, another 6-footer. Bullet: 250 Nos AB at +2700 fps (same load as for the 286 NP), range to bait barrel 85 yds. Bear climbed up on top of bait angling away from me in my tree stand, and I shot it high in mid ribs on right side and bullet made exit between forward left ribs and leg after taking out heart and lungs. Bear went 20 yds. Was DRT. Blood trail and loss was massive. Based solely on those two Nosler projectiles from my 9.3 x 62 I almost prefer the 250 AB over the 286 Partition. If I needed a heavier bullet for anything, say a brown bear, I might go with the 320gr Woodleigh that leaves the 22.44" barrel of my Tikka at +2400 fps over a "good" dose of Rl-17 - my only powder for hunting big game. If I was "stuck" from some reason and could only use one bullet and one powder: either the 250 or 286 Nosler and Rl-17 as powder.

Loads: Hornady brass, WLRM primers, 3.37" COL. Lately have purchased Lapua cases (100), very expensive, thicker, and 1 gr less is about equal to results from Hornady brass.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For my 9.3x62 I loaded 250TSX over Varget per JB's book. I put down a very large, crippled bull moose at 385 yards with a shoulder/lung shot. The bullet was recovered against the hide on the opposing side and it had opened but not fully.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
tag

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the data Biathlon Man. A little more redneck testing. Bullet prices are going up so I have re-looked at the Speer 270gr Mag-tip Hot Core. Over the years I have shot almost all the lead core 9.3s and some monos including Speer's bullet. Today I compared the Speer 270gr with Hornady's 286gr Interlock using sifted dirt as the test medium. Historically I have shot both of these bullets through up to 7 1-gallon water jugs with no bullet capture. I have heard the Speer bullet praised for price and precision, but dinged for being too soft - hence the dirt. I filled three boxes with dirt screened (1/4") of debris and shot at 25 yards. I wanted to assure the bullet would not blow at close range. My rifle has a 20" barrel.

Data Results:

Bullet, Velocity fps, Penetration, Retained Weight, Expansion (x original)
Speer 270gr, 2323 fps, 17", 59%, .59" @ 1.61
Hornady 286gr, 2300 fps, 17", 50%, .70" @ 1.91

Penetration was identical, Speer had greater retained weight, and Hornady greater expansion. This loading provides 225 yard maximum point blank range (6" target diameter). I have no aversion to hunting with these bullets, but maybe "soft" is a fair conclusion. Different medium than Biathlon Man, but similar result.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
Did a little redneck bullet testing at the backyard range today and thought you all might be interested. Just did the 286gr. bullets today as that is what I am most interested in. Test consisted of one shot into my box at about 80 yards which consisted of one wet phone book (~2.5") a soaked hardwood board about 1" thick then wet phone books behind to catch the bullet. Overall the only bullet that I wasn't impressed with was the Hornady Interlock, which actually suprised me. Was expecting more out of it as I really like the interlock in other calibers. The cheap PRVI bullet shocked the heck out of me hanging right in there with the premium bullets. The PRVI looks like a Lapua mega and performance was awesome to say the least, factor in the price and I can assure you I will be ordering more real soon. All bullets were launced from my recently completed semi-custom Husqvarna 640 which has the stadard euro 23.6ish" barrel. Lapua cases, Winchester large rifle primers, and 65 grains of Ramshot Big Game. OAL was unique to each, nothing fancy just whatever seemed appropriate, usually to a crimp groove or some such natural seating depth. Only really odd thing was the Barnes seemed to tumble in the last inch and was found facing the wrong way. Nosler had a little lead plug sitting up next to the front, I show weights with and without since they were together but not actually attached. Largest wound channel seemed to come from the Oryx, might be something to the RN causing more damage (in wet phone books at least). Width measured at widest point, even if that's just a curl of jacket

Results:
-Barnes TSX, Penetration 20.5", retained 272.3 (95%), Width .736
-Hornady interlock, Penetration 17", retained 169 (59%), Width 1.27
-Norma Oryx, Penetration 19", retained 277 (97%), Width .94"
-Nosler Partition, Penetration 22", retained 255 (89%) w/plug of lead, 212 (74%) without, width .738"
-PRVI, Penetration 17.5-18", retained 235 (82%), Width .85"
-Woodleigh PRP, penetration 20", retained 277 (97%), width 1.3"

I can e-mail pictures if anyone is so inclined and can run the loads across a chronograph if you just have to know the muzzle velocity, though I suspect 2400ish is a safe bet judging by my past experience with this rifle

Am using the HDY bullet for initial load development and acclimation for the same wt. premium Oryx and A-Frames, as they are junk, but produce the same recoil.

Settled on the Speer bullet for general purpose.

GR

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (10gaugemag, 358wsm, 300_savage, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 1,204 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,216
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.