Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gkt5450 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I’m looking at an 07 Tundra. Two owner vehicle in good condition other than weak paint on the roof. 174k miles but records show solid maintenance. Double cab SR5 w IForce v8. I need a replacement truck to tow my boat to nearby ramps(1/2 mi away) and typical lumber runs w flatbed trailer. Anyone out there owned this first generation style vehicle? Any pitfalls and water moccasins to watch for?
Thanks.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I bought exact same model in 2007...clock is showing 236,000 now....had to change a starter at 190,000. That's been it. TPMS system is a constant hassle if the little light bothers you...I just ignore it. It's a towin' sob, pass everything but a gas station. We love it.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That’s not a first-gen. First gen ended in ‘06.

Which V8 does it have? In ‘07 there were two choices. The 5.7L and the 4.8L.

I do have a first-gen ‘06 with the 4.8L and 141k miles. I bought it new. It’s been an incredible vehicle. I tow my 20’ aluminum boat all over the place, longest trips so far being 6 hours each way, toughest ones being up and over the mountains. The truck handles it great.

You would prefer it to have the towing package… mine does… primarily for the tranny cooler.

I do think they upgraded the brakes on the 2nd-gen rigs and if so, that would be welcome. I have front discs and rear drums. I think they put discs on the rear axle in ‘07 as well as bigger discs up front.

It’s all the truck I need to do truck things. I think an ‘07 is arguably better still. I’m gonna just keep changing the oil and tires and driving it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought my 07 in 2010 with 33K on it. Now at 139K and I still enjoy the truck. Gas mileage in bone stock configuration isn't horrible, but lifts, leveling kits, aggressive tires, etc. will really affect it. When mine was stock I could get between 16-18, depending on speed and driving habits.

If it's the 5.7 engine, it will tow very well. I've been towing a 5th wheel with mine since I bought it and aside from a low payload, (I added air bags) it does very well for a ½ ton.

I like the simplicity of these trucks when compared to newer trucks of any make. Not a ton of bells, whistles and sensors to fail as in newer vehicles.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I cant remember which years were bad about eating rear, outer axle bearings but I had replaced a bunch when I was wrenching for a living.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

The small v8 is 4.7 liter.

Everything else the drongo says, is true.

06 4.7L with 105000km !

Toyota had a massive frame recall, check it, before you buy it !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BeardedGunsmith
I cant remember which years were bad about eating rear, outer axle bearings but I had replaced a bunch when I was wrenching for a living.

Rear wheel/axle seals can be an issue, if the diff vent gets plugged.

If the diff vent gets broken off, water can enter, & that's where the bearing issue comes in.

The rear axle set up, is way better than the tacoma, with it's mini hub + reluctor ring & sensor.

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My 4.7L, accelerates quicker than my 06, 5.3L chevy !

Paul.

G
gkt5450 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Misspoke as it’s the first year of the second version. 5.7L v8.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
4.7L, my bad.

The 4.7L is a great engine. Arguably not a great TRUCK engine, in that it likes to rev and isn’t particularly torquey, but it’s an objectively great engine. First time I floored it just about gave me a heart attack; the tranny dropped 3 gears, suddenly I’m at like 4500 RPM, and it took off like a scalded cat.

One feature I forgot to mention that’s great to have is the limited slip rear diffy. Don’t know if that automatically comes with the tow package or not. At least on the first-gen, it’s clutch packs, and mine is still working fine at 141k. Just be sure to use the right fluid when you change it.

Don’t know if the 5.7L is an interference engine… the 4.7L is….I guess for that matter I don’t know if the 5.7L has a timing belt or chain… but if it’s an interference engine with a belt, factor that into purchase price if it’s coming due or overdue.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya, 4.7L are interference engines with belt, etc.

Blow the belt, trash the engine, bent valves etc.

5.7L is chains, guides & tensioners.

Paul.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not what the op asked but I have an '00 , I'd like to have an '05 Limited but I'm gonna stick with what I have.

I changed the timing belt as soon as I got it, new water pump and a few other things.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Limited is pretty plush… mine is SR5.

I did add one of those short stout leaf springs that stiffen up the rear a bit last summer. Idea was to reduce or eliminate the tongue-weight sag when towing my boat. Didn’t really see much difference.

One brilliant thing about the first-gen tundra is the styling is fuddy-duddy so the kids don’t like them. By kids I mean the 25-35 year old set buying used Taco’s for crazy $$. You can get used first-gen Tundras for around half the price of a comparable Taco, or at least that was true last year when my kid bought herself a used Taco.

The first-gen drivetrain is one of the all time greats.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've got an '03 4.7 SR5 TRD and love it. Changed the timing belt at about 100k.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Buddy has an ?'03? w/4.7L, well over 300K, and no major repairs.

Originally Posted by New_2_99s
My 4.7L, accelerates quicker than my 06, 5.3L chevy !

Your 4.7 has WAY deeper rear-gears too. 4:30's (or 4:10's, I can't recall) vs. 3:73 or more likely 3:42.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

The small v8 is 4.7 liter.

Everything else the drongo says, is true.

06 4.7L with 105000km !

Toyota had a massive frame recall, check it, before you buy it !
Holy chit, ped_o was wrong. That never happens lol

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The '07 '08 are about the worse ones to buy. The 4.7 is way underpowered for the extra weight that big pig is. Horrible gas mileage to be expected with either engine choice offered. The gen 1's were much better in every regard vs. the second gen tundra.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I did add one of those short stout leaf springs that stiffen up the rear a bit last summer. Idea was to reduce or eliminate the tongue-weight sag when towing my boat. Didn’t really see much difference.

One brilliant thing about the first-gen tundra is the styling is fuddy-duddy so the kids don’t like them. By kids I mean the 25-35 year old set buying used Taco’s for crazy $$. You can get used first-gen Tundras for around half the price of a comparable Taco, or at least that was true last year when my kid bought herself a used Taco.

I don't mind the first gen. The power to weight ratio is much better than the second gen, unless you buy the one with the 5.7. Gas mileage is much better in the first gen as well. Regardless of what engine is in the second gen.

This one is 23 years old with 200,000 miles on it and still runs like a top. It loves pulling out Fords, Chevy's and dodges..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I got mine in 2019, 105K miles, SR5 4WD - $6500

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was digging around in my glovebox the other day for some reason and found the original window sticker from the dealer… mine was $30k give or take new, which at the time, seemed like a LOT. 17 years later it was clearly a good call. I remember the new version (at that time) of the Taco was in showrooms and I sat in one, saw all the bling, and went “meh”. I want a truck.

I traded a ‘97 Wranger TJ that I’d put some mods ($$) into towards it, I do miss that Jeep sometimes.

If life takes me to where I buy a bigger boat for the ocean, likely fiberglass and likely much heavier, or if the wife wants a big trailer, I’d be pushing or exceeding my tow rating and have to think hard about what to do about that. I’m likely to inherit the 3/4 ton 2006 Chevy my folks use to tow with, and while I would not BUY one, the thing has like 35k miles on it. But failing all that stuff the plan is to drive this Tundra until it won’t go anymore. At 141k, and only putting about 6k/year on it these days, hopefully that’s a long ways out.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (338rcm, 257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,865 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,558
Posts18,510,470
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.