-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My 17 y/o son pulled a rifle tag for this area( I got a bear tag for it). Any general comments about hunting there from those that have in the past? Hunting pressure, terrain, typical weather seen late October/early November etc..
We've hunted together in idaho a few times but this will be his first really high country hunt, to say he's excited( as am I) would be an understatement.

Much Appreciated

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I hope he gets a big un!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Add a couple days before the hunt to get acclimated to the altitude.

Carry at least a minimal overnight survival kit. I had a friend get weathered in just below tree line north of Pagosa Springs a couple of years back without anything, no extra water, fire starter, or shelter. He made it home okay, but said it was a miserable night and if it had been a few degrees colder he might not have made it due to hypothermia.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We're packing in, he has backpacked in winter a few times and me quite a few times. But, I very much appreciate the input and advice. We've spent a lot of time 7-10k feet and may not go a lot higher than that but the possibility is there.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Been there twice for the high country deer hunt. Was in the Capitol Peak area in a drop camp.

Below freezing at night. Can be day hikers going for the 14s. Shot decent deer both times. Saw
mountain goats last trip which was during 9/11 strike, Did not hear about strike till 2 days after the fact.
Caught a couple trout in the lake.
Plan on going in an extra mile or so to avoid others.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My time spent in that area has mostly been mountain biking in the Crested Butte area. But I have gone on a few hikes around there.

If the locals rate a trail as "Hard" or "Strenuous", then it definitely feels that way if you spend a lot of time near sea level like me.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

In late September above treeline we ran into plenty of snow. This is me heading over Triangle Pass on the Conundrum Creek trail.

This is me at 11,200' a bit southeast of the Maroon Bells trying to figure out where they keep the extra oxygen around here.

During February we hiked north of Gothic towing sleds and camped for a week.

It was really cold but sleeping in snow caves kept me at a toasty 30 degrees at night.

Have fun hunting there. It's a pretty area to be in. We didn't run into anyone on this particular hike. We had the place all to ourselves.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It sounds like we'll see some snow!!! lol. I have a tent stove and will plan on bringing it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (325wsm1, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 35, 15 invisible), 1,656 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.