Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Anyone shooting Bear Archery this year?

Was looking at bow at the shop last week and the Bear Adapt RTH and it was a good price and looked like a nice bow. I didn't shoot it but did hold and and it fit well.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Daughter has a Legend XR - she's good with it, when she takes the time to focus.

Bow seems decent quality, and has held up over 2-3 years of casual use.

We've replaced the rest once, and that's about it - but she's only shooting 20-25 pounds for draw weight.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I appreciate the feedback.

Our entire family have gotten into archery over the last year. My bow is by far the oldest, I'm thinking it's 18 years old. Matthews Outback, I think. It could be the Switchback.

Anyway... they all have bows that are much newer, cost much less, and they're all faster and quieter than mine. My son has a Diamond Edge 320 and that thing smokes right along. Wife and middle daughter have Diamond Infinite 305's, oldest daughter has a Mission Craze, youngest has Mission Genesis.

I don't care for how the Diamond's feel in my hand. The Mission Craze fits like a Matthews.

The Bear felt good in my hand and is about 1/3 the cost of a new Matthews. I'd probably not buy the package deal. So, I'd be paying more. I'd like a drop away rest and a different sight than they offer.

We'd like to get into some 3-D shooting this winter and into next year. The only hunter are my son and I.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Look at the Elites and PSEs. SW has a great sale right now. Get a year or two year old new bow at a significant discount. Put new custom strings on it and a reasonable 8-10 inch stab, Hamskea limb driven rest, and a spothog hunter 7 site- Bingo you are golden.

The older Anarchy Bear bows were very good. Not super fast but extremely accurate.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Look at the Elites and PSEs. SW has a great sale right now. Get a year or two year old new bow at a significant discount. Put new custom strings on it and a reasonable 8-10 inch stab, Hamskea limb driven rest, and a spothog hunter 7 site- Bingo you are golden.

The older Anarchy Bear bows were very good. Not super fast but extremely accurate.

Thanks I did see those online.

I don't care about super fast. I think they're all faster than mine now. I'm shooting 260 fps. So, no slouch, but not a rocket either.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I use a Bear species ld. I like it a lot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Daughter shoots a Legit. It's a good bow.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tzone
Anyone shooting Bear Archery this year?

Was looking at bow at the shop last week and the Bear Adapt RTH and it was a good price and looked like a nice bow. I didn't shoot it but did hold and and it fit well.
Tzone,
I've shot Bear or Jennings bows since I began shooting compound bows 40+ years ago. Like you, I don't worry about speed all that much. Recently I've had the itch to buy a new bow (probably in 2024 at this point, or at least it will wait until hunting season winds down here in December). Although I've shot other bows over the years, none belonged to me, Bowtech, Mathews, PSE, Hoyt etc., and maybe it's because I have some sort of brand loyalty, but to me my Bear bows have always felt better in the hand. That said, I'm currently shooting a 13 year old Bear "Truth" bow. Yes, it's 20-30 fps slower than the highest end models, but it does everything I need it to do currently. The Adapt, which you mentioned, is one of the bows I've tried. It isn't all that different than my Truth (single cam), and the speeds are close too. As someone above mentioned, the Elite line is the high end line for Bear and only available to archery shops (not the box stores like BassPro or Cabelas). If I were buying from the box store, I'd probably step up to a higher end bow like the Escalate. That said, if you're looking at a bang for buck bow, I would probably give the Adapt a serious look. Per usual, you will be the best judge for you. I'd go shoot whatever you can (even if it's outside the Bear line) and decide which you like the most. Which has the best feel in your hands? Which you are most comfortable with? I'll still be biased and can assure you, my next bow will be another Bear.

Good luck.
Rob

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Thanks for the feedback Rob.

I’m lucky to have a few great, local archery shops within 1/2 hour of my house. I’m pretty sure when I’m ready, I’ll be able to shoot them all.

I’ve had PSE, Hoyt, and Matthews. Never a Bear. I’ll shoot the matthews I’m sure but for as much as I hunt with a bow, dropping $2k on one isn’t reasonable, IMO.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Yoder409
Daughter shoots a Legit. It's a good bow.

My nephew picked a Legit out this year for his 1st bow. He’s a lefty and it fit him well and he shoots it well. He is excited to bowhunt this year.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have some of the new Bear single bevel Razorheads.
Have always wanted to try one of the TD recurves.
But IMHO theyre getting close to Blackwidow price.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Most brands make nice stuff anymore, even their lower end gear has decent performance IMHO.

Thought about a new carbon Hoyt, but know it wont kill deer any more dead than my Torrex.

Dont shoot indoors or 3D anymore. Eyes gone, body beat up.....not competitive. Not worth me paying for the best when the mid price stuff works just as well for me.

I like twin cams, and lesser letoff. Mass weight is an issue for me anymore and grip is a HUGE factor. Have shot PSE Hoyt and Mathews, plus other brands buds had.

If I was chasing big bucks or elk or other stuff I could maybe see buying a flagship bow.

Have had several.

Just dont need to have it.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/27/23.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I still battle having a custom G Rex fingers bow built LOL
Need to call another boutique cam lever builder and see what hes got.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the Adapt and I like it a lot.

It’s smooth, was easy to tune, and is accurate.

T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good to hear Browning.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Bear Super Kodiak

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Before you buy any compound

Try a Hoyt……

They are awesome…..I shoot the Rampage line and love them for accuracy and dependability.

Just lube the limb pockets…they squeak.

My favorite bear is the super grizzly.

I had bear compounds years ago…..they were dreadful.

The last one I owned I couldn’t get it to group much past 45 yards.

My saddle mule got spooked by the trailer as I was tending to a green pack mule and took off with that bow.

About midnight it came into camp, the bow in the scabbard was nearly dragging under its belly.

The next morning I shot the bow ………..it would then group to 60!

Two days later I killed a bull at 53 yards!

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/03/23.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Proly order a green Torrex after Xmas

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Looks don’t mean much at all. Shoot it and others and decide what works best for you

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I think looks do mean something.
Pride of ownership thing, but yeah, it has to shoot well for the person.
Some stuff fits better than others, but people can adapt to some degree.

Of course the more one shoots the less adaptable they may become.
Grip, overall weight and balance are my biggies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (907brass, AKislander, 300_savage, Anaconda, 8 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,577
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.