Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome replies gentlemen, thank you all for posting!

Fun to read and see how much we think alike when it comes to bird hunting. Numbers go up and down. We had a really bad streak of hail and I haven't even bothered trying that particular spot yet this year. Last couple years were bad drought and there wasn't much to talk about for birds.

This year has been a little better and the word is out. All kinds of out of state hunters. Local guy told me that Jerry Jones nephew was part of a group of hunters that crossed the fence onto our property. Rumor only, I wasn't there.

Cuzzin', I reported you to the mods. Friendly warning for obscene vulgarity.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I do. Pretty much any upland bird gets my attention.

Waterfowl? Meh. I do it sometimes but way more than 9/10 times I am after birds it is for upland. Ptarmigan, pheasants, forest grouse, chukar, it doesn’t matter. I luv it.

Himalayan Snowcock a few types of dove and a couple quail species is about all I need before I have taken everything a guy can hunt in the US.
Knew once the cock talk started you would be along.

I’ve got a cock radar like no other.
Don’t be jealous…

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by deflave

Waterfowl? Meh. I do it sometimes but way more than 9/10 times I am after birds it is for upland. Ptarmigan, pheasants, forest grouse, chukar, it doesn’t matter. I luv it.

Himalayan Snowcock a few types of dove and a couple quail species is about all I need before I have taken everything a guy can hunt in the US.

Where does one find a Himalayan Snowcock?

In the Nepalese section of your adult book store.
Or in some Himalayan snow???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
And dumber than a day old......thing.

Pard.

Do you know WTF you're talking about pard?

Sharpies are dumber than huns.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Early season they are all dumb.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Sheesh. In the Himalaya's above the snow line. I used to write some of the commercials for Captain Obvious.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

In the Nepalese section of your adult book store.

Like with Clark’s weiner, you beat me to it.
In more ways than one…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am out after ptarmigan right now.
Nothing spotted but a few sharptails that gave me the slip, but there’s plenty of daylight left.

Suck it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I enjoy it, wish we had more pheasant around here as they sure are tasty. Only ones we've seen are on the Refuge or right along the river near town and the sewage plant.

The whippets don't hold the quail for a shot very well either.

I miss Eastern WA where I worked, got to hunt them right after work, especially if I put in a 12 hr night. Walk a bit with the gun, maybe get some shots, sleep really good for the next night.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing spotted but a few sharptails that gave me the slip, but there’s plenty of daylight left.

Suck it.

Jealous.

I'm lazy and inside my house right now and should be outside but considering I slayed 4 sharptail yesterday didn't feel the need to get piggy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
On my family’s ranches upland game is a target of opportunity. If we see roosters, Hungarians or quail we go after them. Saw more quail over Labor Day weekend than I have seen in a lot of years. To many damn eagles, hawks, falcons, etc.

Great pics you guys are putting up.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Suck it.

Jealous.

I'm lazy and inside my house right now and should be outside but considering I slayed 4 sharptail yesterday didn't feel the need to get piggy.
You put them in the BGE?

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Ruffed grouse are a great game bird.

Sometimes they act dumber than a fugkin rock. Will stand there and take fire. Other times they flush wild 40+ yards out.

They may be my favorite eating bird.

They might very well be dumb, I don't really know. But if they are dumb, they have fantastic instincts in heavy cover as you would know. They are masters at letting you take that 2'cnd or 3rd step to where you are past them at a bad angle and they have a tree between you and them that they can take off directly away from.

That and their ability to go from zero to 60 in .095 milliseconds. They are the most challenging game I've ever hunted when in the cover they typically are holed up in. Walk and walk up and down hills in heavy cover to get 2 to 3 flushes an hr when it's GOOD. Out of those flushes I was lucky to have a remote chance at 1 out of 4. Most I either never seen or just got a brief glimpse. The flush itself with them is half the success.

An undetected ruffed exploding from your feet will definitely get the heart pumping. I don’t know if they come out faster than quail. My own experience says not. But they usually do so in cover and are flat fuggin’ gone in a flash.

A covey blowing out can be just as exciting. Multiple birds hauling azz in different directions. Following up is usually a pretty simple affair with quail. Not so with a grouse.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Suck it.

Jealous.

Sam, I loved the cock pics you put up in Ren five 50,s thread with Charlie yesterday, only thing missing was a dog.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Ruffed grouse are a great game bird.

Sometimes they act dumber than a fugkin rock. Will stand there and take fire. Other times they flush wild 40+ yards out.

They may be my favorite eating bird.

They might very well be dumb, I don't really know. But if they are dumb, they have fantastic instincts in heavy cover as you would know. They are masters at letting you take that 2'cnd or 3rd step to where you are past them at a bad angle and they have a tree between you and them that they can take off directly away from.

That and their ability to go from zero to 60 in .095 milliseconds. They are the most challenging game I've ever hunted when in the cover they typically are holed up in. Walk and walk up and down hills in heavy cover to get 2 to 3 flushes an hr when it's GOOD. Out of those flushes I was lucky to have a remote chance at 1 out of 4. Most I either never seen or just got a brief glimpse. The flush itself with them is half the success.

An undetected ruffed exploding from your feet will definitely get the heart pumping. I don’t know if they come out faster than quail. My own experience says not. But they usually do so in cover and are flat fuggin’ gone in a flash.

A covey blowing out can be just as exciting. Multiple birds hauling azz in different directions. Following up is usually a pretty simple affair with quail. Not so with a grouse.

Those grouse about killed me once in NW PA when deer hunting. Climbed up over some boulders to get to another spot, just about at the top one flushed from below one of the rocks, just as I got my balance back after nearly falling between two VW sized boulders another flushed from the base of a tree growing in the middle of the rock pile.

got my heart to beating it did.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You also have some amazing looking coyote calling country also

B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My first Brittany will be 16 in March, she’s been retired for a few years now but we hunted regularly. We kept a female from her one and only litter of pups that will be ten in November. Still hunt her some but like others have mentioned we don’t have the bird numbers we did a decade ago. Since she only has a couple more good years left I’ll try to run “the pup” more and hope for some success. Good chance she’ll be my last bird dog, so much to do and so little time in the fall.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crittrgittr

Suck it.

Jealous.

Sam, I loved the cock pics you put up in Ren five 50,s thread with Charlie yesterday, only thing missing was a dog.

Is that the pics or it never happened thread?

In it is contentment

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I quail hunted for 25 years, had 6 to 8 pointers, killed bunches of birds. I had a fabulous deer and bird lease in north central texas, but the old owner died, so it was sold. It was too much trouble to find another, day hunting sucks most of the time. My old dog I was attached to died about that time, so I went back to deer hunting.

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10Glocks, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1badf350, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 16,810 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,188
Posts18,543,322
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.