Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Recently found and acquired this Merkel, NIB.

My first O/U combo rifle.

Could not pass it up.

Have not made the opportunity to shoot it yet, but soon.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

223 Rem over 30-06 Springfield, +/- 7-1/4 lbs without scope and mount

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Another neat one GW. Congrats.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That’s really cool and those two chamberings are really useful. I am curious to see how both barrels print on paper. Please keep us posted.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya
Recently found and acquired this Merkel, NIB.

My first O/U combo rifle.

Could not pass it up.

Have not made the opportunity to shoot it yet, but soon.

223 Rem over 30-06 Springfield, +/- 7-1/4 lbs without scope and mount

Veeeery Nice!
cool cool

Merkel Mdl B4?

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
GW, I used to have a B3 Deluxe in 30-06x30-06. They are elegant rifles indeed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would be interested to know whether there’s a particular distance at which certain specified bullets from both barrels are intended to strike practically the same point of aim, keeping in mind that other bullets of different weights would likely behave differently from the same cartridge.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Exchipy
Would be interested to know whether there’s a particular distance at which certain specified bullets from both barrels are intended to strike practically the same point of aim, keeping in mind that other bullets of different weights would likely behave differently from the same cartridge.

They often never converge at any distance and might get farther apart the farther out they impact.

Playing with bullet weights and velocities might get them together, but it's a LOT of work and working up loads.

Being a more modern gun and one of very high quality, I would say it shoots tight with the regulating loads the maker uses.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by Exchipy

They often never converge at any distance and might get farther apart the farther out they impact.

Playing with bullet weights and velocities might get them together, but it's a LOT of work and working up loads.

Being a more modern gun and one of very high quality, I would say it shoots tight with the regulating loads the maker uses.

I have not made the opportunity to ring it out yet.

The range where I shoot has been pretty much shut-down for improvements during the last two months and I've been delinquent in making time to shoot various rifles and in recording the results when I do.

In addition, its been so hot here that I do not got to the range much, hunt only at night with thermal.

My recollection is that I shot @100 yds for POI after mounting the scope. I loaded RWS 180 gr. in the 30-06 barrel and 55 Gr. Ballistic tip hand loads in the 223 Barrel and that the POI was about 3" high on the 223 load vs the 30-06 POI.

I have not checked the twist rate of either barrel, but I will play with various bullet weights and load densities for both combos at 50 and 100 yds.

I've also considered mounting an optic that has more than one profile which could accommodate two different point of impact by switching back and forth.

Finally, it may seem ridiculous, but I did not buy this rifle with the primary concern being whether both barrels were regulated to the same POI. Rather, I've managed to piece together a decent collection of different Merkel Rifle iterations, and one does not often see this combo at a price I'm willing to pay.

ya!

GWB

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Geedubya,

Another beautiful rifle, you really know how to find them. This is my question, where do you find them?! I never see something like this for sale in TN.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That is VERY cool!

I might have even bought it, due to also being a fan of German rifles (as you know!), including Merkels.

Oh, and have also owned a few Germans shotgun as well, including a Merkel or two.... cool

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a nice rifle

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thanx, guys!

Originally Posted by cotis
Geedubya,

Another beautiful rifle, you really know how to find them. This is my question, where do you find them?! I never see something like this for sale in TN.

For the most part, I don't see them here either. Have to expand your horizons. I usually spend at least an hour a day visiting different sites, GunBroker and Guns International in particular.

Guns International also has links to Bespoke Sellers.

Sakohunter264 luv's to spend my money, so he is constantly finding the kind of stuff he knows I like, just to goad me. Sometimes dreams come true.

Recently IIRC the US Merkel importer has become T & G German Imports. That is where I bought the Merkel B4. George is the American Partner and Tobi is the German partner that has contacts in Europe. It seems in addition to importing Merkels they are specifically marketing Fine European Rifles from the 50's thru 90's.

http://german-gun-imports.com/

George could certainly put you in contact with Tobi via Whatssapp, and you could make specific requests.

ya!

GWB

F
F
Wow! Just wow!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
GW, I used to have a Merkel Be Deluxe in 30-06/30-06. The Deluxe had wood sideplates like a Blaser Attache'. Nice piece!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 66 invisible), 2,607 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.