Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I go more than birds harvested, typically.

This pic is from a few years ago. Great day for a few guys.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really miss pheasant hunting.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Geno, if I was you I’d be a mountain quail hunting SOB.
I chased them around Happy Valley a few years ago. Got several but they made me work for them, no doubt.

Other than that, I am an equal opportunity uplander.

I have even known to carry a shotgun when going in for a 2nd load of bigger critters.
Cool pics bud,

yeah, if I could hunt them in this area, within 100 miles or so, I'd certainly go after them. Unfortunately, they're not on approved list and although we're within their range, I personally haven't run across any.

I'm just checking now on the CDFW page to see if grouse is open in the Warners or up the hill from me. Fall turkey is not until Nov I believe, but I might have that wrong. By that time I might be hunting frozen turkey, in the store or in the woods.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Sammo you need a bird dog if you enjoy it , it's as much fun watching them work as it is hunting birds, if not more.

This. ^^^

Doves are just shooting. Quail are hunting to find them, working with your pal, a dog to get into them, and shooting and then watching you happy buddy haul ass to get what you shot.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Several factors have combined to practically eliminate our pheasant population.
first, consolidation of little forty and eighty acre farms and elimination of fence rows. All of the rolling hills with small six and ten acre fields which irrigated every which direction have been consolidated under pivots.

second, fur is worthless, so fox and coyote populations are uncontrolled. Even the one neighbor sold all of his sheep, and quit shooting predators.

third, Raptor populations are higher than fox and coyotes.

I used to love taking a few blue grouse incidentally to deer hunting. Most of them shot with a 30-06 with 165 ballistic tips over 60 gr H4831. I could usually get two or three out of the trees on the walk back down the mountain after a day of deer hunting.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Love it! I have 3 German Shorthaired Pointers and watching them work is my idea of happiness.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Love it! I have 3 German Shorthaired Pointers and watching them work is my idea of happiness.

Heaven on Earth.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/24/23.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Back in the good old days of SW KS pheasant hunting I had a mammoth sized chocolate lab.

Dad had run over her when she was a pup so she had bad hips from the get go. But that meant she was slow and stuck right by my side. Until she got wind of a bird close and she’d give me that look like “come on boss” and start on the trail at a wallowing lope. She’d bull through whatever thick thorny mess of cover and root them out to put them up. The shooting was usually easy as they flushed close, nothing as satisfying as pillow casing a big rooster with an ounce and a quarter of 6s at 12 yards. Cripples she was slow but she’d stick with it and run them to ground, didn’t lose many when she was around.

More than one time a guy asked if I was really bringing that old dog at the start of the day. At the end of the day they’d be wanting to buy one just like her. I could take her and hunt slow like we were sneaking and stalking and not walk past birds and kill most of the ones we put up. With her staying so close and us being pretty quiet we didn’t put many up wild out of range either.

End of the day we’d clean birds on the tailgate and she’d crush and gnaw the elbows off all the wings we cut off. Then eat all the guts out of every bird as we cleaned them. Big old stinking bloody filthy dog that I had to lift into and out of the truck because of her hips. I always snuck her into the motel room and gave her a couple aspirin in a slice of cheese at bedtime. Good times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Walking around hoping to flush a grouse, partridge or pheasant has become my favorite type of hunting. Used to really be into whitetail and mule deer buck hunting but I gradually drifted away from that and the last few years have only hunted birds. I know guys that wouldn't waste their time looking for a bird and I know a few guys who only hunt birds.

I guess ideally a guy would have a drilling and focus on birds with the off chance of getting a shot at a big buck. That would be paradise.

But back to the original thought....

How many of you guys really anticipate upland bird hunting?
Sam, early season sharptails, with the chance for a hun, is my favorite too. I still hunt deer, but don't shoot at them much. I'm located near Circle.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Doc…..Those blue sunglasses on you remind me of Elton John …..👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been a great season so far, just got home from the fields with a tired pup.

Big game hunting is like getting groceries, you gotta do it and the quicker and more convenient the better. Hopefully you can get it done in a couple days and then have fun chasing birds again.

If you like kicking up birds solo, just wait til you get to work with good dogs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I chased them around Happy Valley a few years ago. Got several but they made me work for them, no doubt.

I have even known to carry a shotgun when going in for a 2nd load of bigger critters.
Cool pics bud,

yeah, if I could hunt them in this area, within 100 miles or so, I'd certainly go after them. Unfortunately, they're not on approved list and although we're within their range, I personally haven't run across any.

I'm just checking now on the CDFW page to see if grouse is open in the Warners or up the hill from me. Fall turkey is not until Nov I believe, but I might have that wrong. By that time I might be hunting frozen turkey, in the store or in the woods.

100 miles?
That is surprising. I figured they were most everywhere in N Kali, as they’re also in NW Nevada and S Oregon. The habitat shown in your pics sure looks like they could live there.

Good luck with grouse and turkey, regardless.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hunted the pheasant opener the day of my wedding. Same with anniversaries the years it fell on it.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Cool pics bud,

100 miles?
That is surprising. I figured they were most everywhere in N Kali, as they’re also in NW Nevada and S Oregon. The habitat shown in your pics sure looks like they could live there.

Good luck with grouse and turkey, regardless.

I’ve seen plenty of them not 20 miles from where Geno lives. Always wanted to bring my dogs and hunt my friends place there, but between the stupid regs in Cali about guns and ammo and the joy of carrying a dog in a semi with a small sleeper, it never happened.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chukar hunting in Nevada cured me of bird hunting.....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My sister is a big fan of grouse, which means I get to borrow her flush it all lab when I go hunting. Compared to the Brit Span we had as a kid the lab's fairly inept. A bunch of far-flushed birds is a small price to be paid for spending a good day afield with a sweet natured dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar

LOL...Owen took this after he fell down and damaged his phone, but you know what it shows. wink

Taken with mine when they got down to the trucks.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by luv2safari

LOL...Owen took this after he fell down and damaged his phone, but you know what it shows. wink

Taken with mine when they got down to the trucks.

Yep... a picture is worth a thousand words, I do miss the sage hen season though

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Chukar hunting: Fist time. Is for fun, afterr that its for revenge. Those birds are tough to hunt.

Gambels and mountain quail, occasionally band tailed pigeons. Mountain quail are pretty challenging too.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My long time black powder friends and I have been doing an annual bird hunt in the northern tip of New Hampshire for around 30 years. We started out with muzzle loaders but have grown older and lazier so now use modern guns. This allows me to miss faster. This annual trip is one of the highlights of my year. The weather is usually nice, the fall colors are out, getting to spend some time with old friends and maybe a bird or two will be bagged. It don't get no better than that.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
Page 6 of 17 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,714
Posts18,475,547
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.