Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
First bullet I tried with this rifle (Tikka super light) was the 145 Speer flat base. Tried it with Big Game powder, and while accuracy was great at .6, velocity was poor, only 2575 range. Decided to try a few 150 Eld-x with the big game powder. I got 30 or so just to try. Took them out today, and velocity was better, 2650, but the best accuracy was 1.4 inches. I wonder if magazine constraints aren’t a part of the problem. With the 145 I was about .010 off the lands. This measured about 2.3 using a comparator. With the 150s I seated them so they just fit the magazine and they were 2.160 to the ogive. So they had a pretty heathy jump to the lands. I still have a few eld-x left to try, not sure if I should try seating them deeper? On the other hand, maybe there is another bullet in the 140-150 weight class that is shorter and will allow me to get closer to the lands, yet have a pretty good bc. The bc is what made me want to try the eld-x in the first place. Or should I look at making it a long action? I remember seeing that one could get a longer magazine for the Tikka and maybe an aftermarket bolt stop that would allow me to get the Eld-x closer to the lands.
As an aside I tried a few factory loads that used the 150Eld-x (Hornady precision hunter) and they only did about 1.75 at 100. I forget the measurements, but they were a shorter oal than my hand loads. This doesn’t give me much hope that deeper seating will help much. Thanks for the help!

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It really depends on what bullet you can live with. Pharmy likes the 150gr eldx and has killed elk with his 7mm-08 with that bullet. That is probably one that most of us try first. Then the 140 TTSX is a sweetheart in the little 7mm. It depends on if you are going to hunt elk too. If you are just going to hunt deer, most bullet talk is moot because damn near any bullet will kill a deer with ease. They are NOT hard to kill. My animal of chase is ELK, thus the reason to want/need a better bullet. The 150gr Nosler partition is a damn good one. Try one in your Tikka and I'll bet it will like it.

Your concern about OAL and mag constraints is easy to fix with an M+ 6.5 creed mag. None of my rifles in that category use that standard M magazine anymore. I pull them and write 22-250 on them. Solves that issue right away. Buy the M+ mags for your 7mm-08, 308w, 6.5 creed, 260 etc. etc... When you load for your Tikka, start those bullets at .020" off the lands and go from there. You will find an accurate load of your liking, with just about any bullet you try. They are not finicky, from my experience.

150gr Nosler partition:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

200 yards:

400 yards:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I copied Pharmsellers load and swear by it.

My daughters 708 likes a bto of 2.156 and mine likes a bto of 2.183. I also use 46.2 big game, 150 eldx with a mag primer. Once I switched to the mag primer groups tighten up. 2780 fps

Dropped an elk a few days ago with it no problem, he went 50yrds. Son got a nice 8pt buck the same night. Drt

I had to do a lot of seating depth tests to find the sweet spot on my gun but once I found it she was money.

Also run big game in my 06 with 165’s and once again a mag primer made groups tighter.

Good luck

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I spent the summer loading for a Tikka3x in 7mm08. It was frankly the most effort I’ve expended with 6 different Tikkas. I could not find a node with Big Game with 140 partitions and 139 Interlocs using Big Game and and the standard magazine COAL limitations. Groups were consistently 3”.

I picked up after market magazines and found that .020 off the lands 2.922 COAL) would shoot one hole groups with 140 Ballistic Tips. 140 Accubonds open up to about 3/4” with essentially the same point of impact. FWIW, these shoot about 2920 with 47.5g of Big Game with 210Ms.

Next summer I’ll play with the partitions/Interlocs at just off the lands. If Big Game won’t make do, I’ll switch to H4350 or Varget. I’ll also continue tweaking a load with 160SGKs and RL26. These exceeded 2800 but are shooting horizontal groups I’m certain can be tighter (they are averaging 1” or so).

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I'll take the 140 AB and/or 120 BT all day long.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i use IMR4350 for three Remington m7 in 7-08 that shoot a 139gr Hornady FN and 140gr Hornady SST. it used to be IMR4320 but it was discontinued.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

J
Jevyod Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
It really depends on what bullet you can live with. Pharmy likes the 150gr eldx and has killed elk with his 7mm-08 with that bullet. That is probably one that most of us try first. Then the 140 TTSX is a sweetheart in the little 7mm. It depends on if you are going to hunt elk too. If you are just going to hunt deer, most bullet talk is moot because damn near any bullet will kill a deer with ease. They are NOT hard to kill. My animal of chase is ELK, thus the reason to want/need a better bullet. The 150gr Nosler partition is a damn good one. Try one in your Tikka and I'll bet it will like it.

Your concern about OAL and mag constraints is easy to fix with an M+ 6.5 creed mag. None of my rifles in that category use that standard M magazine anymore. I pull them and write 22-250 on them. Solves that issue right away. Buy the M+ mags for your 7mm-08, 308w, 6.5 creed, 260 etc. etc... When you load for your Tikka, start those bullets at .020" off the lands and go from there. You will find an accurate load of your liking, with just about any bullet you try. They are not finicky, from my experience.

150gr Nosler partition:

200 yards:

400 yards:

Thanks for that info, will I not need to address the bolt stop in order for it to feed properly?

Last edited by Jevyod; 09/24/23.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I settled on the 140 Accubond with 47gr of Big Game with standard Federal Large Rifle primers. I’ve never tried Mag primers, as it shoots .6” in my rifle. This seems to be very close to the combo that a lot of us land on.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jevyod

150gr Nosler partition:

200 yards:

400 yards:

Thanks for that info, will I not need to address the bolt stop in order for it to feed properly?[/quote]

Some will say yes, some no. For my 7mm-08, the answer was no

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Jevyod

150gr Nosler partition:

200 yards:

400 yards:

Thanks for that info, will I not need to address the bolt stop in order for it to feed properly?

Some will say yes, some no. For my 7mm-08, the answer was no[/quote]

I concur.

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
120gr BT, kills elk fine, shoot them in the shoulder no problem.

Load development 15 years ago I used big game and H4895. Big game gave me 3120 to 3150 and about moa. H4895 gave me 3080 to 3083 and a 1 inch group at 200, which is what I shoot at out in the desert where I shoot, off the tailgate... Tikka. The H4895 duplicates that over the years with 2 different cronys.

I usually shoot alone but when I tried those two powders together the first time I had a friend sighting in his rifle also. He said after watching me shoot, the big game load was much harsher sounding and it looked like it kicked me harder... I didn't notice being behind the gun, it is a better load for youth and women shooters, or anyone.

That load/gun has killed about 10 elk and some coues and muleys. The last time it was used my brother killed an elk with it one week and my wife a muley the next week. My brother is the only one that drew a tag this year so will take it after deer in a month.

Same buddy bought a 708 when his kids started big game hunting and down loaded the 120BT a bit below mine. He sent me a text last week... my long range rifle is shooting like chit all of a sudden. Looks like the kids rifle will be doing the heavy lifting again this year. I can always count on it shooting the 120BT at least half moa.

And this picture...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Also will say I had loaded the barnes 120 at the same time. It did ok, not as accurate but acceptable. Never shot an animal with them though, lost interest with the BT doing so well, but I'm sure they would kill fine.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp
Also will say I had loaded the barnes 120 at the same time. It did ok, not as accurate but acceptable. Never shot an animal with them though, lost interest with the BT doing so well, but I'm sure they would kill fine.

Kent

I had loads for a ladder lest I loaded in 2021 with 120gr. TTSX’s and Varget, and finally shot them two weeks ago. I got one hikers from the ladder. Ran the ones with the so called node, and the best groups I got was 1.16” at 100 yards. I’ll play with seating depth before the snow starts flying in the next few weeks. Hopefully it will tighten it up, if not I will move on. I quit doing ladder tests last year for a reason. I found another one I have loaded for my .30-06, I need to knock out and then no more ladder tests for me. I have gotten more consistent results with OCW testing, so I’m sticking with it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I generally like heavies so 145 Speer and 154 are my go to's now. R17 works wonderfully with both. Velocity around 2730-2750 with the 154 and about 2830-2860 in the 145.

Last edited by DoeDumper; 09/25/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 120 gr. Ballistic Tip for me over Big Game for 3100 fps grouping under an inch at 100 yards. If I ever think I need a heavier bullet, it’ll be a Hornady 139 gr. Interlock or a 140 gr. Partition.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I settled on the 120 BT also with Big Game , just have to find your loads sweet spot. RL 15 also is excellent.
And I have another Tikka that really likes the 150 gr power point with Hunter. 49 gr.
I also use the 6.5 cm mag which is M plus marked on mag.
The 120 BT is a wicked bitch!

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Alex38
I settled on the 140 Accubond with 47gr of Big Game with standard Federal Large Rifle primers. I’ve never tried Mag primers, as it shoots .6” in my rifle. This seems to be very close to the combo that a lot of us land on.
^^^
THIS

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Teekers are Goat Fhuqks in 7-08. You have a long action,wearing a Retard Twist Rate,which precludes the best in bullets. Pretty fhuqking HILARIOUS actually! Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (17Hunter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 74 invisible), 2,988 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,976
Posts18,480,799
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.