Print Thread
Hop To
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have read a million times about how the 30-06 is the best all around caliber for North America. But then when I go to shoot deer, my friends say use 150 grain bullets, and when elk hunting, go to 180 or 200. Are they wrong? <P>The problem with I see is I'll have to develop two different handloads and re-zero every time I switch between loads. What I want to do is develop one good load that will do everything, and then practice with that load until I know it backward and forward. Good idea, right? If not, why?<P>So, what's the best all around load for the great 30-06?<P>Boonie

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I dont have a 30-06 anymore. But I found that a 165 grain bullet will work for just about everything from Varmits to Elk.<BR>......Ray

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi, Ray. What kind of a bullet is it that will open on varmints yet hold together on elk??? [Linked Image]

Critr
T
T
Hey Boone:<P>The most classic 30-06 load I am aware of is 56 grains IMR 4350 (plus or minus) under a 180 Nosler Partition. Depending on the rifle, you should be able to get close to 2800 fps with this combo. <P>This load oughta do you for anything except maybe the biggest bears. I'm with Critr, though, in that no way can you expect a 180 Partition to open on a prairie dog. [Linked Image] I'm not sure if that's what Jn316 meant. But I promise you it'll kill 'em if you hit 'em. That's fer sure. [Linked Image]<P>Teach

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I really didn't mean to say that such a bullet doesn't exist, but if anything even comes close, then I really would like to know what it is.

Critr
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
True, the 165 grain will not be the best choice for a varmit. Nor will it be the best choice for an Elk. But the question that was posed was "what's the best all around load for the great 30-06?". Now not singling out any particular animal group; which is the bullet that will come closest. I just think 165 grain fits that requirement better than any other.....Now If it were me I would pick a load that would satisfy the animal and hunting conditions at hand.....Ray

Thanks
Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.
J
J
I agree that the 180 grain load is the do-it-all load for the 06. If I were to go to the lighter weights, I think I would stick to the Barnes or Failsafes, and opening up on varmints be damned. It's not like a 165 though the chest of a PD isn't going to kill the little booger. Flying flesh is overrated. (OK, Critr Gitr, I'm ready [Linked Image]).<P>Jim

The Only Time Gin Is Bad Is When You Have A 44 In Hand.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think it depends on your rifle/load combination. For me, I've found the 165 partition to be the best all-round round with 54gr of IMR 4831. In my model 70 featherweight I consistently get sub moa at 100 yds (3rd groups). I feel comfortable using it on White-tail, mule deer, moose, elk, etc. In my featherweight I've found the groups start to open up with 180 gr bullets -- this still hasn't stopped me from trying to work up 180 gr loads though smile Rob

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey, sounds like a bunch of very reasonable answers. [Linked Image]

Critr
E
E
I always prefered the 180 grn for everything. Do not use one grn for one thing and one for another. Zero in with one and stick to it. Use the same ammo for practice that you would use for hunting also. The 165 would also do for elk as would the 180 grn. Which ever one suits your rifle the best would be the one to go with.

Elk Hunting 101: Everything You Need To Know About Elk Hunting<BR> <A HREF="http://www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk" TARGET=_blank>www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk</A>
IC B3

W
W
There is no virtue in having only one load in the 30-06. <P>In hunting situations, you can�t count on having more than just a very few seconds to aim and fire. There is no benchrest, no sandbags. Most of the time you�re shooting offhand. Sitting or kneeling if you�re lucky. The key to becoming a skilled marksman under these conditions is learning exactly when your rifle is going to fire. This can only be learned and maintained through lots of practice. You�re going to need to go to the range regularly and put fifty to one hundred rounds through your rifle. You don�t want to do this with full-power loads and expensive, heavy bullets. <P>From January until August, shoot a lighter-weight bullet at moderate velocity. Become intimately aware of your trigger. Shoot from every position. <P>Just before fall, sight in your rifle with your full-power load, whichever your rifle likes, either the 165 or 180 grain. Sight in so you can hold dead on out to 250 yards and know its drop at extended ranges. You will have confidence in your ability and your rifle.<BR>

No banjo?, no fiddle?, no pedal steel?, no mandolin?, no dobro?
Then it ain't country music.
S
S
I have alwas liked the 165 grain bt for deer and elk I have a old o3a3 that has been rebarreled to a 26 in med bull barrel I use it for pdogs and coyotes uesing the same load for coyotes as for larger game helps improve you shooting.<P>Scott S

Scott S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've taken 3 Elk my 30-06 using 59 grains of H4350, Fed 210 primers and 165 grain Nosler Partitions. I use my 300 Win for elk now. But if I ever take another elk with my 30-06 I will use 180 grain bullet. Yes the 165 worked, but all three elk where hit in the chest and all 3 required a finishing shot. The recommendations for a stiff load in the 180 is what you really need for a big animal. Imr 4064 also shoots really nice in my 30-06.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rogue, I find your experience with 165 grain 30-caliber bullets interesting. Let me digress. I bought a AR-15 for called coyotes (and cats, I hope) and a strange thing happened on the way to the forum! I not only like the thing, I am downright facinated by the way it handles. Now I have a burning desire for more power in the same rifle, and I found it! I am considering buying a AR-10 in 243, with an extra upper in 308. Now, I no longer have an elk rifle, and if I get drawn here in Arizona (don't laugh, stranger things have happened to me) then I may be elk hunting with the 308. I was wondering if I would be better off with a 180 grain or a 165 grain bullet. I am sure that I would pick Nosler Partitions in either case. There isn't really all that much difference in maximum velocity between the 2 bullet weights. From your comments, you seem to definitely favor the 180 in a 30-06. Do you hold to that opinion for the 308. I will gladly take all the input I can get, so all you with experience with 30 calibers on elk, help me out here.<BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Critr Gitr,<BR>How are things down south? We've got about 2' of snow and are expecting a couple more next week!!<P>With regard to 308 and 180gr - I've been working up loads for my model 88 using speer 180 gr and h380 and have been impressed with the grouping. <P>With regard to big game and 308 -- I know that here in Ont you will get as many moose hunters using 308 (180 gr) to shoot moose as you will with 7mm mag or 30-06. Heck as far as that goes, I ran into a distant cousin of mine in the woods this fall (yes..I know how that sounds...) anyways...'Junior' who is 68 yrs old, was using an old Savage 99 in .243 for moose and he shot a bull with it last year. But I digress, if moose are close to be as tough as elk I think 180 gr in 308 would be fine.<P>Regards,<BR>Rob

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Two Feet of snow, huh? [Linked Image] Well, it is about 35� here at daybreak, warming to about 65-70� most days, and nice and sunny. [Linked Image] That's one of the reasons we live here, I guess. But then, tomorrow we plan to head into the midwest, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, for a few weeks. [Linked Image] May delay starting , as they are forecasting snow in Illinois Monday. [Linked Image] There must be something missing somewhere from anyone who would do that...... [Linked Image] <BR>On a better note, Armalite recommends bullet weights in the 308 up to 175 grains. Midway lists a Nosler Partition in 170 grain, which may be a good choice. However, Armalite recommends a pretty narrow range of bullet weights for their 243, just 80-100 grains, and I read a post by a guy who is using 58-grain bullets in his, and says it functions perfectly. So each gun is an individual, and 180s may work great in the 308 [Linked Image] . So IF I get it, and IF [img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubb/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I get drawn for elk, and IF I don't have something else by then that I would rather use, I'll try the 180s, with the 170s as a fall-back plan. Anyway it is interesting to speculate. And that's half the fun, isn't it? (Well, maybe 49%?). Thanks for the input, Rob.<BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR><I><B>Critr</B></I><BR> <A HREF="http://www.SaguaroSafaris.com" TARGET=_blank>www.SaguaroSafaris.com</A>

Critr
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
they are somewhat wrong,while it may not be the best ,the 150 gr pill will most certainly do the job on elk,most prefer the 165 or 180 pills but.now best all around is not a realistic statement when trying to apply it to varmits, and elk you really should have a favorite pill for each,even better a varmit caliber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good �all around� load. The 180 grainer were the �king of the all rounders� and still would be except for the advent of the A-Frames, Barnes X bullets and TBBC which allow the use of a 165 grain bullet which gives the same penetration.<P>Hornady 165 gr Spire Point and 57 to 58 grains of IMR 4350. This should give about 2850 to 2900 fps. Be careful and work up from about 56 grains. This works just great on game up to and including large mule deer. I believe it will work on elk but have not shot one to prove it. Keep the same powder charge and switch to a 165 Swift A-Frame or Nosler Partition for elk if it pleases you, but remember to work up from below again.<P>An alternative is 59-60 grains of IMR 4831 with the same bullets. Same velocity but sometimes gives better accuracy depending upon the rifle.<P>The 180 grain bullets are still an excellent choice, however. The Nosler 180 grain Partition under about 57-58 grains of IMR 4831 gives MV�s right at 2800 fps in my 24� barreled Model 70�s and will do the job on anything short of grizzlies (as far as I know). I do know for a fact that it works quite well on ground squirrels, deer and elk. The 180 grain Nosler Partition in the �06 was Finn Aagard�s choice as the all around king of the hill for everything.<P>I personally like the 165 grainers as �do it all�s� these days. <P>DOUBLE CHECK MY LOADS AGAINST YOUR HANDLOADING MANUAL AND ALWAYS WORK UP FROM AT LEAST 2-3 GRAINS BELOW WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN.<BR>

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 30Gibbs, 264mag, 24 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,367
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.