Print Thread
Hop To
N
nhenry Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Apparently Ruger has released a new model of the Hawkeye with three offerings in lefty. 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC, and 308 Win.
They're stainless and feature an HS stock. MSRP of $1,999. I'd be interested in a PRC if I can find one for a good price.

https://www.ruger.com/products/HawkeyeFTWHunter/models.html

You can never have too many hashbrowns.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I have one of the original SS LH FTW Ruger Hawkeyes in 6.5 CM had chamber issues Ruger put a new barrel and bolt on it good shooter now. Nice to see them come out with new LH models. Pricy like everything after Covid.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
At least they got away from that jackass looking adjustable stock with the squared off toe.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by KenMi
At least they got away from that jackass looking adjustable stock with the squared off toe.

Thank god, I hated that stock. Why in the world is Ruger adding a brake to these rifles?

But $2K? I dunno if they are worth that much. A Tikka guy can buy a new rifle and add a nice stock and still be under that price.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd buy one but $2k is an high price. Better have some premium barrel and squared action and bolt for that coin.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Meh.

You are 75% along the way to a full custom built rifle for that price. If you shop and pick your components wisely, you CAN build a custom rifle for that much.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Kevin24
Meh.

You are 75% along the way to a full custom built rifle for that price. If you shop and pick your components wisely, you CAN build a custom rifle for that much.
Yep. At least 1/2 way there. My issue is I prefer the mauser-esque type of bolt/receiver and those are limited for us lefties. There's actual custom left hand mauser actions and I suspose the Mausingfield

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Originally Posted by KenMi

Thank god, I hated that stock. Why in the world is Ruger adding a brake to these rifles?

But $2K? I dunno if they are worth that much. A Tikka guy can buy a new rifle and add a nice stock and still be under that price.

Those two things were part of Boddington's genius when he was there. Only thing he did there worth a crap were the limited edition #1s. The rest he totally screwed up.

I had a discussion with the CEO a few years ago about that. He said the adjustable stocks were to make a rifle more appropriate for a larger number of shooters. And, even went on to try to justify it by saying PHs wanted that in case they needed to lend a client a gun. Then he told some story about how he and his daughter were shooting at ice chunks across a river, and how the brake made that so much more comfortable.

From that I was reaffirmed he hasn't the slightest clue. No Bill Ruger, that's for sure.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes, I love the rail and the brake. Great additions. The people at Ruger have lost their ever loving minds.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
$1000 HS that is worth about $300…..no thank you!

Almost looks like that barrel on the 300 Win Mag might be thinner than the usual, heavy sporter contour Ruger uses for that caliber…? That would be an improvement to me. Oh, except they don’t offer it in LH.

I agree with the above posts….don’t care for muzzle brakes, don’t care for ugly adjustable stocks.

Just wish they’d bring back the original, walnut stocked Ruger M77 MKII with their high polished blued finish in something other than 6.5 CM for us lefties……Howabout a LH 7mm-08 Ruger?

Yes, I agree, they have lost their minds.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 09/29/23.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Appreciate their effort but an easy pass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have had several LH Model 77 Hawkeyes in blue and stainless and lots more Model 700's, only have two and one of each left and all three are customized in some form. Going with the consensus here, the standard Hawkeyes are good looking rifles but every attempt to add bumps and lumps and stuff just detracts from their classic design.

It's all pretty well moot now, since for the last few years Tikka has made everything I want or need in left handed bolt actions and has made it so easy to hit the easy button for accuracy, function and price that I don't look elsewhere any more. Well, except for a couple of LH CZ .22's, just because...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
For those that are hung up on the brake, it also comes with an interchangeable muzzle weight, so the POI is the same between braked and non-braked, and a thread protector if you desire neither brake or weight. I have no qualms with that, as I shoot suppressed and having a threaded barrel is nice.

I don't have an issue with the rail either, as It's removable and the original Ruger ring dove tails are still there.

The price however, seems a little steep. But most guns you can find for less than MSRP. Everything is getting stupid expensive these days. I don't need one, but I might pick one up in .308, just because.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They're all selling for $1630-1650 in the various stores. That's not bad, considering a real stock. Most factory rifles equiped with hs precision stocks are selling for much more

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Leftybolt
$1000 HS that is worth about $300…..no thank you!

Almost looks like that barrel on the 300 Win Mag might be thinner than the usual, heavy sporter contour Ruger uses for that caliber…? That would be an improvement to me. Oh, except they don’t offer it in LH.

I agree with the above posts….don’t care for muzzle brakes, don’t care for ugly adjustable stocks.

Just wish they’d bring back the original, walnut stocked Ruger M77 MKII with their high polished blued finish in something other than 6.5 CM for us lefties……Howabout a LH 7mm-08 Ruger?

Yes, I agree, they have lost their minds.

Leftybolt

Yep. They's ugly as sin. Also hate the slight tapering out of the barrel just before the muzzle brake. I'd like to see a run like ingwe's limited edition Ruger African in lefty below or similar shorter barrel version like they made in the RCMs, but in standard chamberings instead like .308 Win or .358 Win.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger's street prices will likely be closer to the $1400 mark. They'll be even cheaper than that when they go on closeout. 8.1 pounds is far too porky.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,460 guests, and 751 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.