Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's a great book--and I was turned onto it by Dave Scovill, when he was editor of Handloader and Rifle. Don't know what they're going for these days, but am sure glad to have it in my library.

Incidentally, there's a photo of the prototype rifle Winchester planned to introduce in Europe--and it has a cocking piece like the 1903 Springfield.
Might post a photo here later....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by chesterpulley
I've never owned a .270. Not because the Campfire told me it's ghey, but because of the weird diameter - .277...WTH, where'd they get that number? Japan maybe, or so I read somewhere.

Would like to know where you read that, because it's BS.

One reason Winchester decided on .277" is because at the time there were a bunch of Mexican military Mausers in 7x57 available for pretty cheap prices, especially in the Southwest. There were also some Remington Rolling Blocks in 7x57, which couldn't take much pressure.

Winchester guessed that if the bullet of their cartridge was a "real" 7mm some of those rifles would be rechambered to their new round. (They'd also developed a similar cartridge with a .287" diameter bullet for a new bolt rifle they planned to introduce in Europe in 1912, but WWI interfered. Instead they waited until 1925 to introduce the .270 in the Model 54.)

You can read about much of this in the 1999 book W.R.A Co., Headstamped Cartridges and The Variations, Volume I, by Daniel L. Shuey.
I guess I’m a little slow, but how would you rechamber a .284 bore rifle to a .277 bore cartridge?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Winchester guessed that if the bullet of their cartridge was a "real" 7mm some of those rifles would be rechambered to their new round. (They'd also developed a similar cartridge with a .287" diameter bullet for a new bolt rifle they planned to introduce in Europe in 1912, but WWI interfered. Instead they waited until 1925 to introduce the .270 in the Model 54.)

You can read about much of this in the 1999 book W.R.A Co., Headstamped Cartridges and The Variations, Volume I, by Daniel L. Shuey.
I guess I’m a little slow, but how would you rechamber a .284 bore rifle to a .277 bore cartridge?[/quote]

Winchester wanted to prevent the possibility of rechambering weaker-action 7x57 rifles, which is why they didn't introduce a .284-bore cartridge--instead coming up with the .270.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What I find interesting is that the 270W is the "true 270" (7mm=.275"), I'm told it's the way the British measure the lands and not the projectile. Seems bassakwards to me but then again, they drive on the wrong side of the road (there's a theory on that too!).

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by moosemike
Just finished a Field and Stream Richard Mann article where he stated he will never use a 30-06 because of an obnoxious uncle who incessantly proclaimed the 06 to be the end all, be all. I can't think of a cartridge that I let another person ruin for me. How 'bout y'all?

I wouldn’t say anyone ruined a cartridge for me, but incessantly bringing them up when specifically not asked about them is kinda nauseating.

For instance, when someone is asking about a .243, and only a .243, there’s always a few who have to let everyone know the 7-08 is a better choice, ( 7-08 Tourette’s is what I call it ). Kinda made me overlook a 7-08 on purpose.

The 6.5 CM, for the same reasons. I’d rather have any other .264.

The .270, I just can’t do it. I can’t. I could never mention an ‘06 without hearing about it. Plus it’s gay.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Originally Posted by mathman
I know a guy who won't eat pork and beans to this day because his older brother who was a thorn in his side loved it.

Same psychology here it appears.

Yeah, good thing folks on the 'Fire base their decisions on logic and reason and not emotions.

Exactly.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Simple answer:
No.

That's the mark of an idiot.

Such simple minds are what evil politicians love. No one is easier to control then someone who is that easy to manipulate. This would be only 1 example out of many. The cartridge/bullet/gun/ scope or what-ever is still doing the job and all that like to use it are still using it, but the idiot refuses to gain any benefits for a reason that has nothing at all to do with the tools. I dislike communists, but if a communist is using a good micrometer to measure tight tolerances, would I refuse to use that tool because he does? Some idiots would, and that proves the point. I am white, and I use micrometers every day but to listen to idiots now "math is racist".
Such is the way the mind of an idiot or any emotional non-thinker works. (or perhaps I should say "doesn't work")

To be totally honest about it such a mind is EXACTLY how anti-gunners and anti hunters are controlled and herded. They can spin you a story that is outlandish, but the idiots want to think it's true and so they can focus their hate on something or someone.

That's how idiots are and it's not possible to reason with them because they have no capacity to reason. Cancer kills the body it's in. But trying to "talk to the cancer" and tell it that the actions it's undertaking is going to kill it too is the same as trying to reason with an idiot.

Cancer and idiots are very harmful to all because both attack even that which they benefit from, and reason is not effective to them at all.

Last edited by szihn; 09/29/23.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bump ttt

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I think Mule Deer put it best when he said (to paraphrase) that for a cartridge to be a favorite it must “fulfill our personal compendium of needs.”

Both logically and emotionally to varying degrees, we will choose our favorites and cull out what we consider the bummers. Not sure if the rest of you think so but there is a list of purgatorial cartridges which are neither a favorite nor a cull for me.

I’ve got my personal, boring favorites based upon my experiences and the fulfillment of my compendium of needs.

For instance, the extra 150-200 fps that my .220 Swift gives makes it better than my .22-250 in my mind.

I love the .25-35 WCF and .25-06 Remington!

I’m new to the party on the .270 but after filling my cow elk tag with it last year, I like it a lot!

A good friend gave me a Zella-Mehlis 7x57 sporter last summer. Can’t believe I got by so long without it. Its so lightweight and very fun to shoot!

My first rifle was a Savage 99EG 300 Savage. I have a 99E in .308, I like them both!

The .30-06 Springfield is the cartridge I’ve used to take the majority of my big game animals. It’s my favorite cartridge without hesitation.

I have an 1892 Winchester that belonged to my Great-Grandfather; he had it rebarreled to .357 Magnum sometime in the 1950’s, it’s a hoot to shoot. The next doe tag I draw, it’s coming along!

Have used plenty of others with complete satisfaction but, they just aren’t favorites for whatever reason.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Last edited by Riflehunter; 11/29/23.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by chesterpulley
I've never owned a .270. Not because the Campfire told me it's ghey, but because of the weird diameter - .277...WTH, where'd they get that number? Japan maybe, or so I read somewhere.

Would like to know where you read that, because it's BS.

One reason Winchester decided on .277" is because at the time there were a bunch of Mexican military Mausers in 7x57 available for pretty cheap prices, especially in the Southwest. There were also some Remington Rolling Blocks in 7x57, which couldn't take much pressure.

It wasn't Japan that first had a .277 bore diameter, it was China. It is speculated that Winchester found out about that bore diameter via Mauser. Ball's "Mauser Military Rifles of the World" lists a large number of 6.8mm Mauser rifles purchased by China in the early 20th century

Last edited by Riflehunter; 11/29/23.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The 6.5crd never interested me, especially with all the extraordinary praise it was getting.

From the perspective of someone who strictly hand loads, its just a smaller version, ballistically, of a magnum length loaded 30-06, with very slightly better ballistics. ( seemed like a lot of comma’s for one sentence?)

It’s very interesting now that srp brass is available. I am really digging this cartridge now. You don’t have to expend lr primers to target shoot. Very easy load development and behaves predictably.

Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (17Hunter, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 70 invisible), 3,004 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,976
Posts18,480,799
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.