Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perfection! What rings did you use?

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
35mm Leupold Mark 4. Low, if memory serves correctly.

Appreciate all of the kind words.

Next up in the queue is a 6mm Creedmoor for my kids to hunt with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Woodhits
On this rifle, I taped the barrel with 20 mil tape, filled the voids with modeling clay and used electricians tape on the sides and bottom of the recoil lug. I did not tape the front of the lug-- Robert Gradous taught me to bed this way and, so far, I can't argue with the results. I also taped the portion of the action on both sides of the magazine port so that only the receiver ring and tang are in contact with the stock.

I used Marine-Tex and managed to get the epoxy in place without creating too big of a mess.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Nice rifle and good job on the write up !!

What brand of modeling clay did you use to fill the cutouts in the stock and action?
Thanks
Mark

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow, that's a nice rifle, Woodhits. Must be very satisfying after all that work.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not sure, honestly. I’ve been using the same clay for several years.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You shooting factory ammo only or reloading?
Curious if you used a AW2 reamer since there's alot of reports with clickers with the saami PRC reamers.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Only factory so far. It's been so miserably hot this summer that I've avoided doing any load development. I have some 152gr. CEB Maximus bullets loaded up that I'll likely shoot this weekend. Having trouble finding RL-26 so I'm using N-165. May try H-1000 as well.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sherm_61
Curious if you used a AW2 reamer since there's alot of reports with clickers with the saami PRC reamers.

The reamer was to the SAAMI spec. No problems so far but honestly haven't put enough rounds through it to say for sure. Buddy of mine used it on a hog this weekend, it's become sort of a tradition for him to kill things with my rifles before I do.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

The reamer was to the SAAMI spec. No problems so far but honestly haven't put enough rounds through it to say for sure. Buddy of mine used it on a hog this weekend, it's become sort of a tradition for him to kill things with my rifles before I do.
You won't have just shooting factory loads or mild handloads, its after about 3 firings on brass is when it starts happening.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

You won't have just shooting factory loads or mild handloads, its after about 3 firings on brass is when it starts happening.

I'll keep you posted once I get through a few firings. I don't have a ton of brass on-hand so that may not take long now that the weather is getting nice.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

What's a clicker?

Not sure I've heard this before.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mibowhunter

What's a clicker?

Not sure I've heard this before.
It happens right at the top of lifting the bolt handle hence the name " clicker".
Google clickers and PRC extraction problems specific mainly to Alex Wheelers fix with the 6.5 and 300.
His reamers are .002 bigger at the .200 line.
Basically the saami chamber - sizing die match is outta wack, you can only size brass back so far so making the chamber bigger at the back end is the fix.
Theres many people who have ran the AW2 reamers in to fix the problem some have polished the back end out but the real fix is the AW2 reamer.
Theres been a few issues with PRC dies not sizing properly to, even with the AW2 reamers.
I believe Bullet Central has dies to match Alex's reamer there spendy but very good dies.

Last edited by sherm_61; 09/30/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the info sherm_61

I have a Proof prefit 6.5 PRC to put on someday, fingers crossed I don't have any issues. Plan on factory ammo for a while until I have a good supply of brass. Reloading after that..maybe.

Last edited by mibowhunter; 09/30/23.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I am obtuse. What exactly is a clicker? The sound the bolt makes at the top of primary extraction? What mechanical issue causes an audible click? Having problems extracting brass?

Thanks.

I am having a 7MM PRC barrel put on and want to know if this is some kind of problem to PRC geometry .

Edit: Found this https://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/videos

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 09/30/23.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I am obtuse. What exactly is a clicker? The sound the bolt makes at the top of primary extraction? What mechanical issue causes an audible click? Having problems extracting brass?

Thanks.

I am having a 7MM PRC barrel put on and want to know if this is some kind of problem to PRC geometry .
Like I said Google it, its a brass, die. chamber issue.
Google AW2 reamer the 7PRC needs to be the same as the 6.5 and 300which I believe is .535 at the .200 line.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hell its been all over the net on other forums for couple years atleast, look at accurateshooter, LRO and Long range hunting, use there search functions it will come up.
A die will not fix the issue you can only size brass back so far, like I said bigger at the .200 line is the fix.

Last edited by sherm_61; 09/30/23.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (1OntarioJim, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 44 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,263
Posts18,504,873
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.