Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
When you get be to seventy-nine, you don't get around like you used to. laugh
Can't strangle a cock like you could back in the day?
Time is undefeated I guess...

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Today. I luv it when they turn white before snow sticks.

I could have just kept on blasting them, legally and physically but figured this was enough.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ted, that a quite the passel of white cock, oh my!

Assuming those make good eats?

I was out fencing today in the mist, brought a shotgun but didn't see any game birds. Saw hundreds meadowlarks though.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Creek crossing, there should be a fence here but it disappeared.....lol

In search of some low light polarized sunglasses. I wear contacts and pretty much wear sunglasses 100% of the time when outside.

You guys have any favorites for wing shooting?

Found these but am not a fan of the price.

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/p/sunglass/guides-choice-performance-sunglass/20494700362L5.html

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any of you fellas ever hunt snipe?

They are the toughest airborne target on earth.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dan, I have not.

Are they good to eat?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sammo I, I luv the white cock because under that white feathery soft surface is some serious dark meat. I LUV it being in my mouth.

Mr. Barbarian. Snipe hunts are a fav of mine, especially with new boots, AKA FNGs. Sending one to find the humvee keys was always awesome, but the best was to send one out to get me a box of grid squares.

It never failed to make me laugh until one asked the Sgt. Major. Then it ceased being so funny.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Walking around hoping to flush a grouse, partridge or pheasant has become my favorite type of hunting. Used to really be into whitetail and mule deer buck hunting but I gradually drifted away from that and the last few years have only hunted birds. I know guys that wouldn't waste their time looking for a bird and I know a few guys who only hunt birds.

I guess ideally a guy would have a drilling and focus on birds with the off chance of getting a shot at a big buck. That would be paradise.

But back to the original thought....

How many of you guys really anticipate upland bird hunting?

I really enjoy the upland season when it finally arrives. For the gorgeous country, the dog work, the exercise, the satisfaction of striking a flying bird, and the of course the birds and resulting meals themselves. I've jumped some whopper bucks while bird hunting, and more than once have thought that a drilling would be handy on those rare occasions. One conflict here in Montana is you aren't allowed to pursue big game with a dog, and a rabid warden could write you a ticket for bagging a deer while a dog was afoot.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A true gentlemen's thread.

Thanks for keeping it classy.

Ithaca Featherlight is never a bad choice for the uplands.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by troutfly
Originally Posted by troutfly
Bird hunting is my favourite hunt. Getting to old to haul deer and elk out of the bush without a quad. Most landowners here won't allow you to drive across the land, I can't justify owning a quad for the odd trip to the mountains.
Upland and waterfowl seasons are both long here, plenty of geese in particular but most years the Sharptail and Hun numbers are pretty good. When I do head to the mountains/foothills, it is usually Sept/Oct, perfect for ruffies and spruce plus trout with a light fly rod.
Tomorrow afternoon, I'm finally going to have a bird dog again after 5 years without. Adopting an 8 year old Chocolate lab that has a solid hunting background.
Current owner just can't get out anymore, life got in the way apparently. Was going to pickup a Britany or GSP pup in the spring but I'm thinking that this might just be the best option for the next few years. I get a great dog, he gets a great new, happy life/home. Win Win!
Jeff

I picked up my new dog on Monday. We haven't been hunting yet as I'm running drills in the yard to see where he is at. Getting to know each other sort of thing.
So far, great dog, a bit rusty from not hunting since last year. Listens/obeys commands well. Seems to have a strong prey drive. Hoping to get him out in the field next week if the weather changes. We need a cool down to get the birds moving. Have seen a few good coveys of Huns while out scouting for geese. Can't wait to get him working the birds. Found out he is dynamite on Ringnecks, season opens in a couple weeks......
He also loves to sit in a blind, working the geese on field hunts. (We don't have much water here so almost all our waterfowling is field hunts.)
Life is good!
Jeff
Good deal.

Puppies are cute but old broken in dogs are the best dogs. There’s nothing like the excitement of a new or new to you dog and spending time connecting over yard work.

Thanks! We are having a blast getting to know each other. Once things get worked out, my hunting partner will be doing the shooting while I handle the dog. I can't shoot this Fall as I had shoulder surgery a few weeks ago. Doc said no shooting for 6-8 months. Plan is to more than make up for it next year. Still seeing it as a win just working my new dog.
Jeff

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
chukar

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka
chukar

That's typical chukar country. It's not for sissies. eek

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I used to a lot and had a dog that would point them. They zig-zag like no other bird and are FAST!

I use a 1957 vintage 20ga Superposed choked IC/M and #9 shot. We had great snipe habitat within five miles of my house, but drought and water right sales have dried most of it up.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We get a few here in our little valley during breeding season. Mostly across the way in irrigated pastures. Not much water on our side.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find them at the sagehen lecks until they freeze up and down a lot of creeks like Cottonwood Creek and NiQQer Creek the next canyon over. There are always some on the open wide springs around Boulder Reservoir.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Try hunting rails in a flooded marsh if you ever get the chance, it's some fine gunning and good eats.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I used to a lot and had a dog that would point them. They zig-zag like no other bird and are FAST!

I use a 1957 vintage 20ga Superposed choked IC/M and #9 shot. We had great snipe habitat within five miles of my house, but drought and water right sales have dried most of it up.

I've gone to 8s and a skeet choked 20 for doves around water and I've become more deadly on gunshy birds.

Of course, very early in the season the young and dumb ones come in regardless of what's going on without twisting and swerving and dodging and diving.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
A true gentlemen's thread.

Thanks for keeping it classy.

Sam that is a good sized, good looking heeler. Is he new around the ranch? Or your Dad's deceased dog?

He reminds me much of my brother's heeler. About that size, but a little more blue mixed with red freckles. He was a hunting SOB. Pointed pheasant like a bastard. One day, hunting the tumbleweed, and sagebrush above the canal on BLM, we lost track of him. We backtracked 30 minutes and found him still on point under a pile of tumbleweeds.

"Get 'em up!" bang One more dead cock.

We often saw him point roosters that blooded GSH pointers missed. It was embarrassing for the owners of the pointers.

Four of us went out one day in the rain, about Turkey Day. It was a slow soaking rain and about 40 degrees out. We never fired a shot in a six hour hunt. But we came back, carrying four pheasant the dog had snatched out of the air as they lifted off. Yes, they were a little bit water logged.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I've gone to 8s and a skeet choked 20 for doves around water and I've become more deadly on gunshy birds.

Of course, very early in the season the young and dumb ones come in regardless of what's going on without twisting and swerving and dodging and diving.

Ever try Wilson's snipe, Jag? They make doves look like balloons floating by, by comparison, and doves aren't easy.

Page 16 of 17 1 2 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1lesfox, 21, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 15,102 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,180
Posts18,543,185
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.