Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JD45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Assuming most hunters shoot either a .45,.50,or .54 cal., where do you like to place under 50yd. shots with a roundball. I'm gonna try one in a .45 Cherokee this year. My only previous roundball kill went badly.

This is for SC Whitetail.

Last edited by JD45; 09/27/23.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I lung shoot most of my deer with .54/.58 cal rb. Head shots work too. Most people try for too much powder in my opinion and they don’t get good penetration. If you insist on hi powder charges, consider adding tin to your lead for a harder ball. Pure lead balls mushroom with ease and over expansion leads to less penetration.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I shoot a .54 with a .530 ball and 90grs of 2f. I’ve not killed many with the combo and they have been heart/lung shots. I would punch a shoulder if given the opportunity with my set up.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Same place I shoot with all projectiles and arrows
Behind the shoulder through the pump house.
All animals require blood to the brain.
Wreck the pump house and you collect your animal.
Lots of people today are critical of P.R.B.'s , but I've
never lost an animal because I was using one.

Good Luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have shot loads of Texas whitetails with 50 cal round ball and 60 grains 3-f. Through both lungs, large exits, heavy blood trails, down within sight.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.50 RB's/50gr. FFFg, .45 RB's/60gr. FFFg. I shoot them like I would a .30-30 and then roll up my sleeves and whip out the knife. Don't overthink this.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Have shot loads of Texas whitetails with 50 cal round ball and 60 grains 3-f. Through both lungs, large exits, heavy blood trails, down within sight.
My experience as well except I use 70 gr.'s Goex 3 FG.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be doing something wrong.

I'll never use a RB by choice again.
For years we were forced to, I eventually started using Ball-etts.
Illegally.

Lung shot deer can cover 100 plus yards and not lose a drop.
They might only go another 50 or 75, but without snow finding them isn't always easy. First few deer shot dropped, then ran. We recovered them. Over time there were several I couldn't believe I missed. Looked and looked,trailed as far as possible. Gave up.
Wasn't until later that I learned how far they could go before losing blood. Even then, I feel some were lost that died.
Hence, using illegal bullets.

Sabot pistol bullets, Barnes Expanders, Power Belts, there is little BS.
DRT, or a blood trail to follow.

Sure this will start a S-Storm. Seems everyone but me sees RBs as lightning bolts.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
.50 RB's/50gr. FFFg, .45 RB's/60gr. FFFg. I shoot them like I would a .30-30 and then roll up my sleeves and whip out the knife. Don't overthink this.

^^^^^^

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Double lung

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Center chest. I cast ball from Wheel Weight and it's harder then pure lead. They go through and exit and the kills are quick. I can hit bone too, and still get the good penetration I like.
I have killed big game with several muzzleloaers in my life, 50s 54, 58 and 62 calibers. I have used bullets in the 58 cal (Lee REALs) but have found a semi-hard ball to be better for hunting. Cast semi-hard they give full penetration and shoot flatter from the muzzle to about 125 years than bullets do, and in all cases I have tried they were somew2hat more accurate then the bullets. IN dedicated bullet rifle (I have made many of them for customers) the hewavy7 bullets are more accurate, giving the same degree of accuracy as the breach-loading 40-65, 45-70 and 50-90 with the best barrels and twits rate. So a bullet rifle shoot bullets best, but shooting short bullets in round ball twists seems to give me no real advantage in hunting and has a more curved trajectory with all loads that shot well enough to hunt with.
SO in ball barrels I shoot balls.
For the last 30 years I have shot a 62 caliber flintlock for all but 2 of my muzzleloader kills. A 310 grain ball gives me all I could ask for from it. I killed a moose with that rifle and the ball when clear through after breaking the shoulder.
If that's not good enough, I could not say what is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tend to stay forward in the shoulders, seems to give my quickest kills.with a .54 RB.

20-25.yard death runs. When I was shooting behind the shoulder runs were longer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by szihn
Center chest. I cast ball from Wheel Weight and it's harder then pure lead. They go through and exit and the kills are quick. I can hit bone too, and still get the good penetration I like.
I have killed big game with several muzzleloaers in my life, 50s 54, 58 and 62 calibers. I have used bullets in the 58 cal (Lee REALs) but have found a semi-hard ball to be better for hunting. Cast semi-hard they give full penetration and shoot flatter from the muzzle to about 125 years than bullets do, and in all cases I have tried they were somew2hat more accurate then the bullets. IN dedicated bullet rifle (I have made many of them for customers) the hewavy7 bullets are more accurate, giving the same degree of accuracy as the breach-loading 40-65, 45-70 and 50-90 with the best barrels and twits rate. So a bullet rifle shoot bullets best, but shooting short bullets in round ball twists seems to give me no real advantage in hunting and has a more curved trajectory with all loads that shot well enough to hunt with.
SO in ball barrels I shoot balls.
For the last 30 years I have shot a 62 caliber flintlock for all but 2 of my muzzleloader kills. A 310 grain ball gives me all I could ask for from it. I killed a moose with that rifle and the ball when clear through after breaking the shoulder.
If that's not good enough, I could not say what is.
^^^this should be etched in stone, anything around 12 Bhn at reasonable ranges, at conventional velocity is a death sentence.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JD45
Assuming most hunters shoot either a .45,.50,or .54 cal., where do you like to place under 50yd. shots with a roundball. I'm gonna try one in a .45 Cherokee this year. My only previous roundball kill went badly.

This is for SC Whitetail.
IMO, you are going the wrong way for ethical kills, use the .54 or .58 or .62, WW lead, then shot placement is not critical. Of course you can kill cleanly with a .22 rimfire, but shot placement is absolutely critical, and let's face it, few of us shoot as well as David Tubb, offhand, at a live animal. Another little detail to think about, pour a measured charge, say 70gr of BP in a scale pan, leave it outdoors, over a couple days, watch the scale pointer move as the relative humidity affects the powder. We all know the effect absorbed moisture has on BP, there goes your repeatable precision you need for smaller bore sizes.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have killed deer with .40,.54 and .60 PRB's. If I cant get the neck or head shot that I want, I go for the shoulders.

Pretty much same thing if I'm hunting with a centerfire too.......

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Shoulder or double lung with a .54 ball in front of 75grs of powder works for me.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
For deer, shoulder or just behind it, depending on the situation. I use Hornady RB's and 90gr of FFg Goex. Though I just started trying FFFg Goex, looks great on paper. Never had a problem with killing or penetration with the Hornady. One large pig, only shot was the ol Texas heart shot at about 50 yards. Hit just left of center, through the lower cavity, through the upper cavity, through the shoulder and neck into the head. Didn't poke around in the head cavity to find it. I load powder, seat a wonder wad on top of the powder and seat the .530" roundball using an Ox-Yoke lubed .015" patch. Load has worked very well for me over the years.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never lacked for penetration with a soft lead round ball. Judging by the exits being twice the size as the entrance, They must be flattening some on impact yet they always exit.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well if you're asking a traditionalist, he'd say the important thing is to get the shot into a place that's gonna bleed real good-- back haunches are a good place to start. That way you and the dog have a sure trail to follow. It's also gonna wear him down. When the dog finally brings him to bay, that's when the fun begins. You hop on his back and use your left arm to hold onto the neck while you repeatedly plunge your knife into the buck's chest and ride him until you feel the life leave him. A big buck will give you quite a ride, but a big bear is even more fun.

Anyhow, that's how it used to be done. Me? I poke them in the boiler room.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i shoot a left hand flintlock CVA Hawken in 50 cal with round balls and maxiballs with 70gr of Goex FFg. i like to shoot deer behind the shoulder. the deer will usually run about 20 - 30 yards and fall over. i use near pure lead and the bullet always exited the deer.

i have a TC Encore with a 50 cal inline that uses a sabot with either a .429" 250gr penta hp (9 or 10 bhn) or a 280gr WFN (14 or 15 bhn) with 70gr of Goex FFg. i shoot the deer behind the shoulder and they will usually run about 20 - 30 yards and fall over. they exit too.

i used to have an Wolf inline in 50 cal with 2 or 3 pellets of pyrodex and PowerBelts HP and Aero Tip bullets. the power belts caused too much damage to the deer (front leg being blown off, bloodshot meat, etc...) so i don't use them.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.