Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Finally got my 7 PRC pre-fit build to the range, this is my third DIY build and it turned out just like the others and as expected. I shot a total of 12 rounds (figured I'd save the other 8 for hunting) and the best group with Hornady 178 ELDX as .575". The Proof pre-fits make it pretty easy to assemble a bunch or parts and head to the range. I was shooting off a Harris swivel bipod (turns out I don't care for the swivel functions, heavier and harder to steady but it's the only Harris available for pic rail attachment) and a rear bag. I imagine it could do better with a better rest and shooter. I just got the suppressor about two weeks ago and I've found that I like to let it cool to the touch after shooting three shots but otherwise works as expected.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Would hate to be on the other end of that one. Nice build!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
One-and-done rifle for 95% of the worlds game (if you want it to be smile )

To me, the 7PRC is the sweet spot.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That dog will hunt! Nice job on that rifle 257Bob.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work. I could not help myself when I saw a Mossberg patriot for under $400. I jumped on it. After a paint job and load work up she delivered.

Before

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After

Shoots well also

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Very nice 257Bob! I just started breaking in my 7mm PRC and am hoping for similar results as you and Fotis. Enjoy!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
On the Harris:

Purchase a KMW Podlock. It allows you to swivel the bipod and lock it in. This is a useful feature on uneven terrain. Additionally, you can buy Pic adapters from LaRue Tactical, Midwest Industries, American Defense Manufacturing, etc.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fotis
Nice work. I could not help myself when I saw a Mossberg patriot for under $400. I jumped on it. After a paint job and load work up she delivered.

Before

After

Shoots well also

That's some good shooting!

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This was my third DIY pre-fit, the first I had lots of questions and did a lot of research, I had never as much as installed a trigger. The first one came together fine and I used it successfully on three deer last year although I think the scope is problematic, can't quite seem to sort it out so I'll switch it out.

The second, a 6.5 CM printed .250" second time our with factory Berger hybrids. The assembly couldn't be easier with a few basic tools and head-space gauges. I used a 7mm RM almost exclusively for about 10 years and recoil on this feels about the same, from the bench it as ok but I felt like my shooting position was a bit cramped.

It may be a bit overkill for most deer under 100 yards but I'm sure it will deliver the good as the distance increases.

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by drop_point
On the Harris:

Purchase a KMW Podlock. It allows you to swivel the bipod and lock it in. This is a useful feature on uneven terrain. Additionally, you can buy Pic adapters from LaRue Tactical, Midwest Industries, American Defense Manufacturing, etc.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll give that a try.

IC B3

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
On the Harris:

Just ordered one, should do the trick!

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257Bob
On the Harris:

Rock on! I love them and put them on all my Harris bipods. And if you ever need to put another one of your existing bipods on a rail, you can always pick up a QD adapter for those, too. But once you get the Podlock, I think you'll like the swivel. I don't see why they don't come from the factory that way.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 257Bob
On the Harris:

Rock on! I love them and put them on all my Harris bipods. And if you ever need to put another one of your existing bipods on a rail, you can always pick up a QD adapter for those, too. But once you get the Podlock, I think you'll like the swivel. I don't see why they don't come from the factory that way.

Totally agree, I can't even turn the factory knob. Should have it in a few days.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
This is intriguing. For us old, traditional-gun guys, how does the whole pre-fit build thing work?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by shinbone
This is intriguing. For us old, traditional-gun guys, how does the whole pre-fit build thing work?

You take a shouldered prefit threaded for your action, a good action with tight tolerances, a barrel vice, torque wrench, and action wrench.

Put the barrel in the barrel vice, screw on action to barrel. Use action wrench (I use an internal wrench) and torque wrench to torque the action onto the barrel per the barrel manufacturer spec. Check headspace with go/no-go gauges.

Go shoot. (I also put anti seize on the barrel threads)

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 10/04/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Are the pre-fit barrels action specific?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by shinbone
Are the pre-fit barrels action specific?

Yes. And has to be an action with pretty tight tolerances. Typically 700 clone custom actions but also starting to see them for Tikka.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My tikka seemed to work just fine with a proof research shouldered prefit. Getting the factory barrel off took some elbow grease and a 3ft cheater though...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Made it to my range yesterday, but with the 25mph crosswind, I wasn't there long. Much calmer today, so hoping to get back out there.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I sighted one in last week a Savage with 178 eldx, they're definitely not for me. Kicks like a mule.
Nice shooting!

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (257_X_50, 10gaugeman, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 54 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,284
Posts18,525,668
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.