Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Fellers. What kind of grouse is this? I believe Spruce or blue. Shot in the Gravellys SW Montana at at 7400ft

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
High altitude blue grouse, the best fall has to offer…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Those Big Game in Montana?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Looking good! Archery elk and deer almost turned into a grouse hunt, but we left the area soon after and didn’t find any more at the next place. We flushed another grouse nearby the next morning but didn’t get a great look at it

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I'll bite, what kind of shotgun is that? Looks like a Stevens but don't recognize the hammer.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt

I'll bite, what kind of shotgun is that? Looks like a Stevens but don't recognize the hammer.

It is a Burgess, wrist slide action shotgun made in the 1890's by Andrew Burgess. A prolific gun inventor, second only to John Browning, with hundreds of patents, which some are still in use today. You can see the triggergroup slides backward to work the action. A very simple and effective shotgun action...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Thats a new one to me. If you stay away from the riff-raff on here you can sometimes learn something.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Thats a new one to me. If you stay away from the riff-raff on here you can sometimes learn something.

Initially, my comment was going to be, “Hunting birds with a rifle is a no-no in Texas.”
One of my favorite motto's is, “Not all things are as they appear to be.”
So, cut me a big ole slice of Humble Pie. New one to me too. Guess I should pay attention to the details.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"They" have decided there are two species formerly known as blue grouse. The ones you show are 'dusky grouse" while our SE AK birds are "sooty grouse."

Just an FYI.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Around here the spruce grouse and blue grouse hang out in the same locations or habitat. Those spruce grouse are smaller and have an red eyeliner on top eyelid that stands out. They're also smaller and spruce grouse meat is very very dark in comparison to other grouse.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Absolutely no experience with Montana grouse. But it looks like a sharp-tail to me.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Initially, my comment was going to be, “Hunting birds with a rifle is a no-no in Texas.”
One of my favorite motto's is, “Not all things are as they appear to be.”
So, cut me a big ole slice of Humble Pie. New one to me too. Guess I should pay attention to the details.

Turkey?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Back in the years before children and right after we were married my wife and I did a lot of bird hunting. One day I got multiple “grand slams” with blue, spruce and ruffed grouse….a rooster pheasant, several Huns, several Chuckar, 2 California quail and a a Drake mallard. I think I killed at least 1 bird from every category except Turkey. I cooked everything 1 day and we had a side by side comparison of the various game birds available here.

I think it was back around 2008 when I was moose hunting outside of Delta Junction. We’d spend some afternoons hunting hare and grouse for fun and food. That year was an explosion of grouse and hare numbers with a crazy amount of both everywhere….I’d never seen anything approaching those numbers. Coincidentally on that trip I saw a half dozen lynx in the course of a week, since the hare numbers were high so too were the Lynx. 👍🏼

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
interesting...what do the undersides of the birds look like?

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
"They" have decided there are two species formerly known as blue grouse. The ones you show are 'dusky grouse" while our SE AK birds are "sooty grouse."

Just an FYI.

Sitka;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust that you and your fine family are all having a decent day and are well.

Thanks for the chuckle this afternoon, as I was about to post something similar but yet again had to look up what we're supposed to have here.

As you know, I've taught the BC Hunter Safety Course for 34 odd years and somewhere a few years back, how many I can't begin to guess now Sitka, low and behold the new manual has two kinds of Blue Grouse!!! eek

Now being entirely honest, I was still getting over the fact they'd finally added turkeys to the manual after years of us assuring them there were in fact turkeys here and that the MOE had even put in a hunting season.

Oh and there used to be a question regarding whether there were Grizzly on Vancouver Island or not and the answer back when was no, but apparently some grizzly took that as a challenge and at latest count the MOE says there's somewhere north of a couple dozen now.

Anyways all that to say that "they" say our Blues here in the southern Interior of BC are "Dusky" and some magic line west of us they turn into "Sooty".

If I was guessing, I'd guess about Hope, BC where they filmed the first Rambo movie back in the dinosaur days. That's about where the mulies become blacktails so that's why the guess, but again it's only my guess.

All the best and thanks for making me look a few things up and the chuckle.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Buckstopper
Absolutely no experience with Montana grouse. But it looks like a sharp-tail to me.

100% correct-
The breast feather plumage ,head plumage & tail feathers tell the correct tale.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
huntinaz;
Good afternoon to you sir, I trust all is as it should be in your world today.

As has been established that's what we'd call a Blue Grouse here in BC.

They're typically the biggest grouse we've got down in the southern mountains, but going off of foggy old guy memory, I want to say a big male Blue would seesaw pretty well with the biggest Sharptail I ever killed in Saskatchewan.

Our eldest daughter shot one of the biggest male Blues I've ever seen and we really should have put that beast on a scale. It looked the size of a rotisserie chicken that one sees in the grocery store. cool

It was not however, as I recall, as tender as a rotisserie chicken.

Blues have darker colored meat than a Ruffer but not quite as dark as a Spruce, though young early season Spruce flesh will be pretty close in color, texture and flavor in our experience.

When our girls first started hunting they brought as many grouse home as they could, all taken with head or neck shots with a Brno No 5 .22 which gave them great rifle practice.

Later season Blues and Spruce will start eating pine needles and the meat gets darker and takes on more of a camphorous sort of flavor.

When mating season is on the males have this strange low "Whoop" sort of sound that reminds me of a big diesel trying to start on a cold morning with not quite enough battery to crank it fast.

Hope that was useful and made sense.

All the best and good luck on your season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BKinSD
interesting...what do the undersides of the birds look like?

You can kind of see the bellies on these…

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I was elk hunting a few years back and a grouse hopped up on a log about 40 yds away, just sat up there. I knocked my bird arrow with a Judo point and let it fly. I center punched the grouse and it disappeared in a cloud of feathers on the opposite side of the log. I could see a commotion and my arrow flopping around. That grouse flopped up onto it’s feet, and took off catching the wind and sailing down the mountain through the timber. My arrow was sticking halfway out both sides of the bird. Never found it. There was a quarter-sized chunk of meat on the other side of the log that the Judo ripped out of that grouse.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Shrap, How do you do that? I have never seen one that close with head still attached.

Mine were all guillotined with a Win 670 in 30-06 and a 165 gr BT. Nothing eats better!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,321
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.