B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The CM does nothing new.

The way life should be.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's never been a 264 Kreed twisted slower than 8" RPM in OEM guise. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

The 264 Kreed simply dupes 260 Rem case capacity,at a MUCH lesser case length,which equates to greater COAL for superior projectiles. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

The 264 Kreed spawned a projectile bonanza,of wares suited to it and both Flight Characteristics and Terminal Effects are greatly bolstered,due to it. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

To begin to enter the 264 Kreed's realm of Flight Characteristics and/or Terminal Effects,one MUST introduce a non lineal increase in recoil,even if you could factor the COAL. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

The 264 Kreed simply outpaces many "esteemed" Long Action offerings,right under the noses of Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks who don't actually shoot. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

264 Kreed vast superiority oozes out of Factory Fodder,which is both utterly reliable and amazingly consistent. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Big Stick
There's never been a 264 Kreed twisted slower than 8" RPM in OEM guise. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

The 264 Kreed simply dupes 260 Rem case capacity,at a MUCH lesser case length,which equates to greater COAL for superior projectiles. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

The 264 Kreed spawned a projectile bonanza,of wares suited to it and both Flight Characteristics and Terminal Effects are greatly bolstered,due to it. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

To begin to enter the 264 Kreed's realm of Flight Characteristics and/or Terminal Effects,one MUST introduce a non lineal increase in recoil,even if you could factor the COAL. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

The 264 Kreed simply outpaces many "esteemed" Long Action offerings,right under the noses of Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqks who don't actually shoot. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

264 Kreed vast superiority oozes out of Factory Fodder,which is both utterly reliable and amazingly consistent. THAT muchly changes the game. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.....................

+1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, I never understood the nonsense I keep hearing about the 6.5 Creedmore from nosepickers who apparently don't shoot, don't know how to spell ballistics, much less read a ballistic table, or what BC means... funny thing is, these guys bitching about the 6.5 Creedmore being a "woman's cartridge" , or a "kids cartridge" are the same guys who think a 243 is perfect for deer, bears, and everything else and shooting over 100 yards at game animals is a criminal act. Let's just say there is a lot of "diversity" on this site at times....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
I killed a couple deer with a 6.5cm a few years ago. 129 Interbonds were sub MOA and blew through both shoulders and the recoil was negligible. Zero complaints on performance.

But because I'm not shooting in competitions or trying to reload for single hole groups, it really wasn't doing anything for me that a 6.5x55 wouldn't. Sure, Creedmoor ammo is everywhere now, but Swede is still easy to find and cheap online. And the unavoidable, underlying fact: it's just cooler than the Creedmoor and always will be. 😂😇

While 6.5x55 ammo might be easy to find and cheap on line, that doesn't do you any good if you neglect to pack your ammo when you leave home. I don't know anyone who hasn't left home at least once without some piece of kit.

The only time that I've loaned my spare/loaner rifle was to a guy from Ohio who was unpacking his gear in Wray, CO, and discovered that he'd left home with his 6.5x55 rifle but no 6.5x55 ammo. He called around but the closest retailer with 6.5x55 ammo on the shelf was in Denver and couldn't get it until the next day. Even the Cabela's flagship store in Sidney, NE, didn't have any on their shelves. I loaned him my S&W C in 30-06 and he successfully punched his tag on opening day.

I totally get the case for brick and mortar ammo availability. This comes up frequently when folks are trying to explain why you shouldn't hunt with a .280 anymore, either. That said, I've never left to hunt without the needed cartridges and don't see that possibility as a good reason to favor one round over another. 6.5x55 ammo and components are super easy online and, unlike the cartridges you find on the shelf at random gas stations and sporting stores, when people go nuts (legal scares, pandemic, whatever), the availability of 6.5x55 doesn't change.

Like you, I've never left to hunt without the proper ammo, but I know at least one guy who traveled from Ohio to Colorado who did, so it can happen. That is why I always bring a spare in 30-06 that is zeroed for common 180 grain ammo. I subscribe to the mechanized infantryman's philosophy of "better to have and not need than to need and not have", so I travel heavy.

I live in a metro area with a population of around 750,000 and I haven't seen any 6.5x55 ammo on retail shelves since pre-COVID, so 6.5x55 shooters around Omaha will need to buy ammo and/or component on line if they want to shoot their rifles.

As long as *I* remember ammo for myself and my kids, I don't mind everyone else forgetting -- especially on public or heavily-pressured land! 😂😇

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by goalie
Some people just have to be different. Was at a match where a few guys were using an AK variant just because they didn't want to use an AR.

Why do accurate and easy when you can do hipster and hard????
I experience a great feeling of independence when I realize I'm the only guy in the Siskiyou Mtns packing a .44-77 Barely Improved chambered in an 1867 Peabody. Some day after I croak out, guys will be hounding my widow for the chamber drawings, and such things as, "He was ahead of his time", will be uttered.

Yup. I wouldn't argue with any of the ballistic points made. Stick and Bob are undoubtedly on the high ground there.

That said, there's also just a case for cool, traditional rifles and chamberings. Can promise you the grandfather I inherited a couple of them from was the opposite of hipster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a hipster, I shoot and like other cartridges besides the 6.5 CM, and if I had to choose just one to do all of my hunting with, it most likely would not be the 6.5 CM. But, like it or not, it's here to stay and is more popular than most of the so called traditionalist cartridges, all for good reason too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243 AI, and a 22 Creedmoor, and the fact is I could sell everything but the 6.5s (Fieldcraft and T3x) and still be well armed for near and faraway engagements.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most of us like to talk rifles, ballistics, loads, bullets & hunting. It would be boring if we all carried the same model 308 to shoot a deer. It is true, we Hunt in different areas of the country, different methods.

I’d guess my average Midwest deer shot is 50 to short of 100 yards. I think there are many most excellent cartridges for the task. I have a few 6.5 Swedes, but No Creedmoor, nothing against it. With many choices I usually use my lightweight, 20” barreled, 284 Winchester.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluefish
The CM does nothing new.

My 6mm Creedmoor came from the factory with things that would be "options" on a .243. Twist, throat, mags that fit good bullets.

Can a .243 do the same as a 6cm? Sure. But, to me, working as desired out of the box is better, even if not doing anything"new."

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Even though I was set for life with .308 Winchester rifles and loading components, I bought two 6.5 Creedmoor rifles about 5 years ago. I worked up a load shooting a lighter bullet at a higher velocity which was very accurate. Then I went hunting. I found that this particular bullet broke up when it hit bone at close range. A few hours later, it worked well on a nice doe with a heart/lung shot.

I thought about working up another load with a heavier bullet at a lower velocity. I realized that I already had several .308 Winchesters that did that very nicely.

In a momentary outburst of rationality, I sold the rifle with the Krieger barrel and the McMillan stock. My nephew's youngest daughter needed a centerfire rifle for hunting deer on private property in Indiana. They shoot from a blind in a field that could actually offer a 300 yard shot if the wind died down. I don't have that long a shot where I hunt in Pennsylvania. So I gave the second rifle to her for her first centerfire rifle. She promptly shot a really nice buck with it the next fall. The 6.5 Creedmoor is perfect for her and a good choice for anyone.

I am happy with the .308 Winchester for myself.

GrimJim

Last edited by GrimJim; 10/03/23.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Closest thing I had was an 6.5x55 and 6.5x284. Got an 243win, 270win, 280, and 308win at present and they work on everything in the canyon in the backyard. An 6.5 sounds interesting but there's the difference between curiosity and actual need.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i started shooting the 6.5CM in 2008 with my TC Encore and a 15" MGM barrel. i killed a couple of deer with it and i decided to make it a carbine, 16 1/4" MGM barrel and High Plains gun stock. i killed a couple and i decided to make the CM a rifle, so i got a 23" MGM barrel and killed several deer with it. i think it was 2015+/- that i sold all of CM barrels, because basically i got bored with it and now everybody (TC Venture, Rem, Winchester, Savage...) chambered for the CM.

i got 6.5 CM dies from Hornady in '08. i couldn't find 6.5 CM brass, however, i had 22-250 brass galore. so i reformed the 6.5/22-250 CM brass. the OAL was short (.2 or .02" i think), but i didn't need to trim it. the bullets and the powders i used were sub minute groups (100 yards/5 shots). i did 140gr Hornady Amax and SST, 140gr Nosler BT, 120gr Nosler BT and 120gr Hornady SST. powders were Superformance, H322, Benchmark, IMR4350 and Varget. it wasn't until 2011 or '12 that i got my first 6.5 CM Hornady brass. i still have the 6.5 CM brass and dies.

i and my gunsmith built a 1916 Spanish Mauser in 6.5x55 (Richard's Gunstock Apache Gold, Timney trigger, D&T for Leopold mounts and Rings, 2 Position safety, 24" Numrich barrel and a 3-9x Vortex scope). since i had 6.5mm 120gr Nosler BT bullets, i might as well use them. i couldn't find 6.5x55 brass (new or once fired), so reformed some '06 brass to 6.5x55. next step is to load IMR4350 and 120gr BT up to 2700+/-fps and get a 3/4 - 1 1/4" group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench). the 6.5x55 is just a little under the fps that the 6.5 CM does, but for shooting deer up close (under 100 yards), 2700fps is just fine. when i'm done with the 120gr BT, i'll buy some 140gr SST or SP.

i never shot a 260 Remington, but i will bet that the 260 Rem does the same thing as 6.5x55 or 6.5 CM, it will kill deer too.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own a 6.5 Creed. This year I took an antelope at 290 yards with ease. It loves RL 26 and the 143 ELDX. The problem I have is not with the Creed but some of the idiots that own them!

"Yup this 6.5 will kill an elk at 1000 yards...that is how flat it shoots!"

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Just sayin'.

Hint.

This.

I love having a rifle for which I can buy cost-effective, great performing factory ammo, go shoot and not worry about reloading.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,775
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.