Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#18809926 10/02/23
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
No, I’m not talking about Darlene. There’s a place in Jefferson, NC where I have bought backyard honey several times this summer. Picked up another jar a few hours ago. It dark in color reminiscent more of sorghum than fruit of the hive.

The flavor is amazing. Makes grocery honey taste like white sugar and water. The aroma is of fields in summer. The taste is a unique sweetness combined with a bite off of a wild flower bouquet. I’ve had it in a good tea and it is the star of the moment. With coffee it is just as unique. And to really truly gauge its depth just dip a tablespoon and do it straight. Guaranteed to cure the sweet tooth.

Just had a quick shot consisting of melted butter on sourdough and a saturating dose of natures finest. God bless the honeybee.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Well said. I agree. A co-worker has bees and I bought a pint of his honey. Sweet, dark and delicious.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rufous
Sweet, dark and delicious.

when I was single & a UPS driver.........

I had a few of these............(:

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nothing better

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Local honey here is what we call gallberry honey. My son has several hives. I get all I want for free. 😜

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I get all I want for free. 😜

There’s a shock.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought it at the farmer's market, a coworker, been given some by a good friend. Honestly, it all tastes pretty much the same to me. Like bee barf.

S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Honestly, it all tastes pretty much the same to me. Like bee barf.

No, I said I was NOT talking about Darlene.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem
Makes grocery honey taste like white sugar and water.

That is because grocery store honey is often mostly sugar or corn syrup and water.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No, I’m not talking about Darlene. There’s a place in Jefferson, NC where I have bought backyard honey several times this summer. Picked up another jar a few hours ago. It dark in color reminiscent more of sorghum than fruit of the hive.

The flavor is amazing. Makes grocery honey taste like white sugar and water. The aroma is of fields in summer. The taste is a unique sweetness combined with a bite off of a wild flower bouquet. I’ve had it in a good tea and it is the star of the moment. With coffee it is just as unique. And to really truly gauge its depth just dip a tablespoon and do it straight. Guaranteed to cure the sweet tooth.

Just had a quick shot consisting of melted butter on sourdough and a saturating dose of natures finest. God bless the honeybee.

Where is this place in Ashe county?

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I make a point of trying local honey from different locales when travelling around the country. So far the honey from Tasmania beats the lot.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A weed called "Snow on the Mountain" will cause what is called "jalapeño honey"! It can be a bit spicy.
I've got 4 hives.
Between drought and a dearth, I haven't pulled any honey yet.

Strange honeybee facts:
Honey bees are not native to America.
A honey bee is female.
The drone is the only male.
In the fall, the worker bees kick the drones out of the hive to succumb to cold or hunger.
A queen Seldom breeds but once in a lifetime.
After breeding, the drone's penis explodes.
In it's lifetime, a bee will only produce approximately 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey!
On average, a honeybee only lives 45 days...except the queen. She can live for several years.
A honeybee can only produce wax for 10 days after hatching.

Bees wax is actually bee "poop"!
Honey is actually bee puke!

A honey bee can only sting once, then it dies.
The queen doesn't sting.

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 10/02/23.
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BuckHaggard

Where is this place in Ashe county?

Its on Hwy 88 just east of the 88/hwy16 junction. A roadside residential area. Has a Local Honey yellow sign at the road. Right hand garage door is open with honey and a money bucket on a shelf. As of today there are only 6 pints left. Little old lady was unsure if her husband would rob the hives any more this year.

There is another spot another mile or two east on 88 that appears to have more hives and is probably very similar honey. Have not stopped there.

One thing I failed to mention earlier. This honey has a distinct spice note. Downright peppery. Never had any like it.

Makes a dang nice semi-Old Fashioned with cherries and bourbon.

Last edited by shootem; 10/02/23.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MartinStrummer
A weed called "Snow on the Mountain" will cause what is called "jalapeño honey"! It can be a bit spicy.
I've got 4 hives.
Between drought and a dearth, I haven't pulled any honey yet.

Strange honeybee facts:
Honey bees are not native to America.
A honey bee is female.
The drone is the only male.
In the fall, the worker bees kick the drones out of the hive to succumb to cold or hunger.
A queen Seldom breeds but once in a lifetime.
After breeding, the drone's penis explodes.
In it's lifetime, a bee will only produce approximately 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey!
On average, a honeybee only lives 45 days...except the queen. She can live for several years.
A honeybee can only produce wax for 10 days after hatching.

Bees wax is actually bee "poop"!
Honey is actually bee puke!

A honey bee can only sting once, then it dies.
The queen doesn't sting.

Yep and to clarify there are hundreds of drones in a hive and they don't sting either. Drones only mate with queens from other hives.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a pint of a guy at work 2 months ago and in the last month I’ve bought 2 quarts. Delicious, good guy too so I don’t mind helping him get the business going.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Because a lot of it is extended that way.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Our honey is always very light in color……not certain why? memtb

Last edited by memtb; 10/03/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender

Because a lot of it is extended that way.

Yeppers!
Originally Posted by MarkWV
I bought a pint of a guy at work 2 months ago and in the last month I’ve bought 2 quarts. Delicious, good guy too so I don’t mind helping him get the business going.

If you get into beekeeping to make some extra money, you've picked the wrong hobby! LOL!

We "cut out" a small hive. After about a week, no eggs, no new brood.
Probably lost the queen when the hive "pancaked".
Drove 300 miles and spent $40 for a "bug" (queen), and they still didn't make it! 😖

Beekeeping is fun.
Beekeeping is hard work.
Beekeeping can be frustrating.
Beekeeping is a constant learning experience.....and worth every drop of sweat!

I've had bees for about 50 years, golden rod honey is my favorite. Fall honey and will crystals in a couple of days from being taken from hive. Fall honey is usually know as bakers honey. I have honey from South Africa, Virginia, Michigan and a country in eastern Europe. Srry don't know what country, was a gift from my brotyer. He gets around.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Local honey from your local area is loaded with goodies that help you fight allergies. Especially if it is raw honey.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (6mmbrfan, 6MMWASP, 79S, 7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 2ndwind, 10 invisible), 1,539 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,418
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.