Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PatB
.22 CB caps…. Head shots sack ‘em

Yep long standing joke around here is the CB stood for cat bullet!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mee-yow...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever seen/saw wtf a cat hauling a fish skeleton out of an alley trash can?

lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ballyhoo
Acetaminophen in the food.

Anti freeze works good to, they love the taste

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Rock Chuck: They call them "field lions" in my neck'o the woods.
Sadly many folks still refuse to spay/neuter their cats so there seems to be a never ending supply of "excess" domestic cats that have turned feral.
They do much harm to the song bird and game bird populations so many folks hereabouts shoot them, regularly.
I shoot about 1 out of 100 I see out in the country away from homes/houses/ranches.
I moved into my home here in SW Montana when I retired 26 years ago. I often sit in my sunroom with binoculars and watch the wildlife (Mule Deer, Antelope, Whitetailed Deer, Foxes, Game Birds and such) three times over the years I have observed humans stop along the road leading to my driveway (7/10ths mile away) and dump cardboard box loads of "kittens" out into the field adjacent to my home.
This is most often a death sentence due to predators (Fox, Coyotes, Hawks, Eagles) and to the harsh winters.
So most of these abused little pets die quickly.
The ones that do live make "pests (Varmints!) of themselves with their predation on song birds and game birds.
Bad situation all around.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
We've had a stray cat hanging out here. My wife starting putting out some feed at night for it which disappears faster than it should. I got curious and put out a trail camera to see just what she's feeding. It's not A cat, it's 5 cats...so far, and 1 is majorly preggo.
I'd do some cat hunting but she'd cut me off for sure.
Besides the cats, if she puts the feed out too early in the evening, the magpies get it. This has the makings of an expensive winter. This is going to take a lot of groceries.
Get ahold of Mel Tucker, he'll teach you how to resolve that issue...
😃😅😅🤣🤣🤣

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's an issue everywhere. Even here in the far reaches of sunny and warm California (didn't freeze last night, yay!)

Rural mailbox station is down the road 2 miles or so. Old building there with access to the underneath by a hole dug by some critter, maybe a human critter even. Cats live under there, friggen plastic tubs outside the hole get filled with food on occasion. I know the gal that sorta runs the local Humane Society shelter here so I asked if they or the County have a TNR program (Trap, Neuter, Release) as every couple of months there's a new load of kittens running around. Nope, not here. No money, few vets to even do the neutering.

Mostly I think those cats/kittens serve to help the local coyotes get through hard times as there are times when we see no cats around there. And yeah, as a wide spot in the road where folks regularly stop for mail, schoolbus stop, etc it serves as a good drop off spot for folks disposing of kittens and such.

I'm waiting to see what happens when the neighbor's place sells, as she's a bit of a cat lady. There's a few that come over here at night mostly, one or two have been ballsy enough to come over in daytime. They may die soon.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Bobcats keep them in check around here

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Ever seen/saw wtf a cat hauling a fish skeleton out of an alley trash can?

lol
Only at fish camp.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You need to be slick, put a single shot long barrel 22 in the garage, with a pellet rifle in full view, go out for a walk, the CB Cap is quiet with a longer barrel. Is very accurate at 25-30 yards, good for an evening stroll. Any suspicion, show the pellet rifle.
Of course you can call animal control, if ou have any control folks, and they will give them a new home, complete with gas heat.
Feed cats, coyotes feed on cats, next thing is you are feeding a real serious problem.....neighbor got curious also, a camera, his little cute kitties turned into coyotes coming up to his back door every night to eat the cat food. Explained why his dog dd not want to go out.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
17 ca pellet gun works like a charm also. It takes a head shot though to get the job done efficiently.

One of our high school past times was the yearly cat round up on the dairy.
Riding around in the golf carts with our shotguns shooting every cat we saw. It only thinned the heard enough to make them manageable.
But it sure was fun.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by local_dirt
... .22 with can or co2 bb gun will do it quietly.

Easy peazy...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shoot the damn cats. If she leaves, it’s a bonus!

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We don't have coyotes here to thin them out. We hear them on rare occasion, but in 25 years I've never seen one here. Too many woven wire fences, I guess. There's no shortage of groceries if they do show up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RUM7
17 ca pellet gun works like a charm also. It takes a head shot though to get the job done efficiently.

A long, long time ago, in a country very far away, a boy found his baby rabbits predated on by a stray gray tom.

9 pellets from a .17 later, the dam cat gave up.

The boy is still pissed at stray cats, today. He doesn’t use .17 cal air rifles for cats anymore.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crossbow. No noise

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had a Canadian girl tell me she loved cats. I told her she would love my ranch in Texas because we had 60 cats at times. 60 cats she said how do you control them? Well the first four or five with a 22 but after that they get perty wild and skidish so a 12 gage shotgun works best. She never spoke to me again.

NOVIT EMIM DOMINUS QUI SUNT EUIS {Arnauld Amalric} "Kill them all,God will know His." Never trust Horses ,Women and very few Mules.A good rifle will let in lots of AIR AND LIGHT.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Paul is right. Catch them and have them neutered.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take them China Star buffet

Mmmm, general tso chiggin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (bbassi, 10gaugemag, BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,273 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,227
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.