Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My son and I, along with two of my buddies, are headed to West Texas in the near future for a free range Aoudad hunt. I am curious what you all would tip on a hunt like this? It’s a 3 1/2 day hunt with us staying at camp for 4 nights. From my understanding the outfitter and his son will be our guides as well for the duration of the hunt … no other guides involved that I’m aware of. I know everything can depend on overall experience of the entire hunt but I am just curious what you all would think as being typical? Also, is an Aoudad hunt tipped any differently as say an elk or moose hunt? It’s not necessarily a meat hunt or full blown backcountry hunt. I’ve been back n forth in my head on this and want to get it figured out before we go.

Appreciate anyone’s thought!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$4-500

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
10% of the hunt price.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Much would depend on services for me. Quality of meals, quarters, transportation, as well as commitment and effort put into the hunt.

Did they bust ass or just take one around for a ride?

Last edited by 1minute; 10/05/23.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d say $400-$500 for each of you is sufficient. That’s $1,600-$2,000 total for 4 hunters.

Last edited by Rolly; 10/05/23.

Rolly
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm licensed to guide in two states and have guided a lot of hunters and fishermen over the years. A couple of things to think about regarding guides and tips: your guides day is typically at least a couple hours than what you see unless you're camping with them, and guides in my area end up with a day pay rate per hour pretty close to minimum wage unless they get tipped. Do you tip your waitress 10% of your meal bill? Who do you think works harder for you over the course of your experience, your waitress or your guide? Lastly, to base your guide's tip on food quality and transportation isn't fair treatment of your guide unless he's the business owner as well as the guide. Those things are outside your guide's control.

If your guide works hard for you, not produces fish or game, works hard, tip them as well as you'd like to be paid for the work they just did. Most guides that I know would be pleased with a $100/day tip which puts it right in line with Bristecd and Rolly's recommendations. For most hunters/fishermen that doesn't add that much to the overall cost of a trip. If you want to do an inexpensive trip, do a "do it yourself" trip.

This spring I guided two fishermen that were the teen aged sons of the father who booked the trip. They came to fly fish for trout late in the trout season after the water had warmed beyond the point where the trout fishing was good. I took them to multiple locations for two days putting miles on my truck and burning my gas at nearly $4.00 per gallon. They both left with skills they didn't have when they arrived and both caught fish both days. On top of that their parents asked for a recommendation for a location where they could take the boy's sister to fish while the boys were being guided. I gave them a location that was easily road accessible and had been recently been stocked. At the end of those two days my tip was $0.00 and that's not an isolated instance.

In closing, don't be a cheap prick. If your guide had a button in their pocket to turn on the bite or make the game present themselves you can bet that the guide would push that button, it makes the guide's day easier. Don't base your tip on that. Your guide (typically) works hard for you and often is limited by factors like weather and hunter physical ability. If you're tipping your waitresses 10% of the meal bill you need to reread the first sentence of this paragraph.

One guide's opinion.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Ask your outfitter before you go.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I asked and the guide said x amount per day plus gas

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
On my aoudad hunts, I've given the guide $500 and the cook $150 for the same length hunt as you'll be doing. For a couple years I guided archery elk hunters for an outfitter friend and without tips, my 'wage' came to about $3 per hour!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
10-15% depending on effort and expertise. $100 - $150 for the cook

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
What if the guide is the owner of the company?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Poodle_Dad
What if the guide is the owner of the company?

We’ll my late Brother who guided Wyoming and Idaho about fifteen years called tipping the outfitter “ double dipping “ but good careful caper if it’s a special mount is worth every penny.

Ricky

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,539
Posts18,472,836
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.