Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I own an #30 Ingram knife that I bought used . The guy I bought it from said it was not used at all, but it was not that sharp when it arrived. I think that I dressed one elk with it and it is dull. I guided elk hunters for more than 20 years so I know a little about how to sharpen knifes, but this one will not get sharp. I just seems to be too steep of angle and won't cut.. I know his knives are popular, but I buy knives to use, not look at. I sure don't want any more. Any suggestions?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’d contact Gene.

Let him sharpen it.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I thought he retired. What would be his contact info?

Last edited by DLSguide; 10/05/23.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do you go about sharpening any of your other knives? What blade steels have you been using? There is no mystery or unique challenge to sharpening any of Gene's knives. They sharpen up as easily as any other knife from any other custom maker or high-end production knife.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Have sharpened Howe, Winston, Olt, and about all production knives. My favorite is Tim Olt. I can do 2 or 3 elk with his knives and then just touch it up with a steel to shaving sharp.
I generally use a diamond or regular steel to touch blades up. I haven't used the Ingram enough to warrant going to a stone. The knife did not hold an edge worth a damn.

Last edited by DLSguide; 10/05/23.
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sell it to me?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gene sharpens all his knives on the humble Lansky.

You can reach him here: geneingramknivesgmail.com

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sell it for sure. Cheap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have had a whole bunch of Ingram knives and not one of them was a dud. All my Ingrams have been as good as any custom from any of the many that I have owned over the years. I'd hazard a guess it didn't have a good edge to start with, you said it wasn't real sharp to begin with. You can either reprofile it to whatever angle you want or match the existing angle. If you think the angle is too steep, reprofile it. Sometimes a burr forms and the knife feels sharp but as soon as that burr breaks off the knife will be very dull. A strop takes care of that burr. Or contact Gene and let him sharpen it for you.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sounds like it was pretty dull when you got it (it would NOT have came from Gene that way, so someone used it) then you dulled it more through use.

It also sounds like it's past just honing, which you said is all you tried to do.

From the sound of things it needs a to be sharpened with stones, either do it yourself or contact Gene. Once you get a good edge on it you will be happy with it.

Last edited by Dude270; 10/06/23. Reason: Fat fingers
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you can't get ahold of Gene, I'll sharpen it for you as long as you pay for the return postage.

Dale

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think I will buy a Lansky sharpener set and give that a try. The D2 blade is a little tough to work, but when sharp, hopefully will hold an edge. It's all a big experiment. Have a safe Fall.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I know Ingram is the saint of this forum, but you are not the first person to doubt his D2. I sold one after messing with it, thought it was my fault. On the other, if you get a Winston D2, you will not be disappointed. RP

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rikker9999
I know Ingram is the saint of this forum, but you are not the first person to doubt his D2. I sold one after messing with it, thought it was my fault. On the other, if you get a Winston D2, you will not be disappointed. RP

You know Gene learned from David?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

N
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Not to mention that guy hasn’t responded to any inquiries in 2 years of reaching out lol

Stick with Gene or hit up Ken Honeycutt

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NDGuy
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Not to mention that guy hasn’t responded to any inquiries in 2 years of reaching out lol

Stick with Gene or hit up Ken Honeycutt

From David?

I wanna say his health has declined ( he’s no spring chicken ) …. Not sure if he’s still making knives..

I had some knives ready about 6 or 7 years ago.. so i made the trip to his shop to pick them up.

Nice guy, plenty of stories… gave me the tour of his shop and answered all my questions. Nice to pick a makers brain.

Dave

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

726 members (12344mag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 163bc, 10ring1, 007FJ, 85 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,728
Posts18,494,807
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.