Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I build my own.

My latest one built two summers ago while housebound with a hip replacement. 44 inch 50 caliber Colerain 1:66 twist. Maple stock, L&R Classic left hand lock. Double set triggers. All iron mountings.

Use only Holy Black and of course roundballs with legit bear grease rendered by a friend as patch lube. Hip was still too mucked up last deer season so didn't hunt much. Gettin' after it this year though. Need to get 'er bloodied and broke in.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Beautiful rifle. Enjoy your time in the woods with it this fall.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks.

I wish I had used a swamped barrel on this one.

It's a bit heavy and a little obnoxious to balance offhand.

I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children may live in peace. ~~ Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
other than the gun being built backwards that is one fine looking rifle! grin
i have a SMR in .45cal that is slightly nose heavy. i took off the toe plate and bored 3 .25 holes 2 inches deep. filled one with lead and tried for balance. needed the one and another 3/4's filled to balance right at the entry pipe. ymmv
i really love the southern mountain and Tennessee mountain rifles.
who am i kidding? i love them all!
the satisfaction of building one can hardly be matched by anything else. shooting them at 100 yards and getting 2 inch group comes close though.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Handsome rifle. What protocols did you follow for darkening the maple?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rifle.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Handsome rifle. What protocols did you follow for darkening the maple?

Thanks.

2 treatments of aqua fortis to start.

Then I used TruOil tinted with bone black and burnt umber dry pigments to add an aged effect to areas that would be handled and areas that would get grimy from use. There's 5 coats of plain TruOil over that, and a couple coats of Renaissance Wax to top it off.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Gorgeous rifle!

Thanks for sharing.

LHS

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Really nice! I shoot lefty too, and I think you did good here. May I ask was it kit or did you source all the stuff one piece at a time?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Plumdog
Really nice! I shoot lefty too, and I think you did good here. May I ask was it kit or did you source all the stuff one piece at a time?

A plank, and a pile of parts.

I tried a kit one time, semi-inletted, metal in the white, from a fairly well known kit maker. I spent more time fixing what they jacked up than actually building it. Won't do that again.

Next up is some form of smoothbore fowler. Have everything, plus some extra stuff if I decide to go one way or another, but still deciding what to do. That's pretty much the hardest part of it I think. I've bounced back and forth between half stock walnut and full stock maple. Thinking I'll order another full length maple with some good stripe in it and go with that. The one pictured is plain grain maple.

2/3 round 62 cal smooth bore, single trigger, flinter.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
wow - very nice!!

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yup, to me a muzzleloader is about Tradition. If made into a modern rifle to gain a special season over other hunters (I call that cheating) such guns have sales appeal to those that are just trying to find a way to cheat and get a special season. If I go out with an 1874 sharps black powder breach loading single shot rifle or even a 44 mag handgun with iron sights and a 4" barrel I must hunting regular rifle season.
So I for one am 100% into old style muzzleloaders and have earned most of my living (about 80%) making them.
Now I am working towards retirement, so I am not taking new customers but I have made them for over 50 years.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by szihn
Yup, to me a muzzleloader is about Tradition. If made into a modern rifle to gain a special season over other hunters (I call that cheating) such guns have sales appeal to those that are just trying to find a way to cheat and get a special season. If I go out with an 1874 sharps black powder breach loading single shot rifle or even a 44 mag handgun with iron sights and a 4" barrel I must hunting regular rifle season.
So I for one am 100% into old style muzzleloaders and have earned most of my living (about 80%) making them.
Now I am working towards retirement, so I am not taking new customers but I have made them for over 50 years.

Good post.

I'm heading towards retirement myself, about 8 years. My plan though is to quit the welding for a living and start building traditional style muzzleloaders, and specializing in left handed offerings. There's a serious deficit there on the market for those who can't build their own. Not planning on getting rich with it, just doing something I REALLY enjoy for a change.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by szihn

Don't know that I would call it "cheating" necessarily but the whole "modern inline" thing has definitely put me off about the whole special regulations hunting season idea. Around here anyway, the special season for muzzle loaders in October was conceived as a means for traditionalists to engage in sport without having to compete with the army of "regular" hunters - for guys with flintlocks and percussion guns to ghost through the Indian Summer woods. Then the idea took hold amongst the hoi polloi that ML rifles can be made that shoot as "hard" as centerfire rifles and use thereof was an easy way to rack up one's score and fill more freezers. Not much consideration toward keeping old traditions alive, rather a golden opportunity to kill more. (And that's based on empirical observation - every single one of my buddies and acquaintances who turned to ML hunting in the special early season, and there were a lot, did so as a chance to shoot a couple extra deer, period.) Net result: the early Fall woods are about as crowded as they are in "gun season", with guys in stands armed with scoped inlines capable of long distance kills and looking down their noses at the odd guys with flintlocks still hunting across the ridges and ravines.) Then the F&G people threw a sop to us and gave us another short season to ourselves - after Christmas/New Years when the weather usually turns cold and crappy, thank you very much not!

Yez had to get me started, din't yez?!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think of Modern Muzzle loaders as Dumbing down the sport for those that don't want to learn the skills our forefathers needed to put meat on the table.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful rifle.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Know some folks that build their own.
Nice stuff and very cool.

I just dont have the desire or patience to do it.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Our MZ season is late, not early.
Snow on the ground makes it way fun.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I keep thinking about upgrading my left handed Lyman but I want a flintlock with a faster 1:28 twist to shoot lead free sabot bullets. I wish PA would swap the late season flintlock to October and allow an inline season after Xmas. 40 years of freezing my butt off after Xmas and most of the nice bucks are dropping their antlers. I love 2 weeks in the fall with a flintlock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whit
I keep thinking about upgrading my left handed Lyman but I want a flintlock with a faster 1:28 twist to shoot lead free sabot bullets. I wish PA would swap the late season flintlock to October and allow an inline season after Xmas. 40 years of freezing my butt off after Xmas and most of the nice bucks are dropping their antlers. I love 2 weeks in the fall with a flintlock.

Fookin' A Brother, Fookin' A!!!

That could be something I wrote, verbatim.

We should get a season with the Stick Slingers.

And I'd love a good Flintlock twisted for better bullets.
(DGAF about lead free, but much prefer better than round balls)
Modern bullets from a traditional gun give the hunter no advantage over round all. They do make the gun a quicker, possibly better killer.
I will never, ever call a less effective killing device "More Sporting".

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,638
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.